Northern Brewer Milk Chocolate Stout - Color too light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I recently bought the Northern Brewer milk chocolate stout extract recipe kit and added it from the "add on" feature in Beersmith (it was a pre-loaded recipe).

I'm concerned that it's telling me that the color will be 23.1 SRM when it's supposed to be 30-40 for a sweet stout.

Do you think I should bump up the amount of dark crystal, add some roasted barley, or just go with the recipe as is?

I've attached the Beersmith file.

View attachment NB Milk Chocolate Stout.bsmx

I don't have BeerSmith on my tablet, so can't check your recipe. Does the extract in the recipe have 30L listed as the color? The recipe is mostly dark malt syrup.

My first question would be, "why?". Is this for a competition where you must adhere to style guidelines? If so, I would consider chocolate malt or carafa rather than roasted since those won't impart as much roastiness. On the other hand, if you are just making beer to enjoy, then I wouldn't get too hung up on color.

I'll have to check the number for the extract, but I know it was listed as dark extract.

As for the "why" question, I'm mainly concerned because if I am trying to make a stout, I'd like it to be a nice, dark black/brown instead of looking like some other kind of beer (like a brown ale). Call me shallow, I guess. Looks matter.

Latest posts

Back