Northern Brewer BIAB Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
I am about to buy a couple BIAB recipe kits from Northern Brewer. Any suggestions? I was thinking Irish Red Ale and Dead Ringer IPA. Maybe Smashing Pumpkin Ale? Has anyone tried their kits before?

I'd do their IPA and their smashing pumpkin. I've tried one kit, it was good and easy.

+1 to Dead Ringer. I ordered that with their 1 gallon starter kit a couple of years ago for my first homebrew and it was easily one of the best IPA's I had tasted (and still is to be honest). I just ordered their Smashing Pumpkin 5 gallon kit and plan on doing a 5 gallon of the Dead Ringer early next year after I brew some more winter-friendly beers for friends and family for the holidays. Given the reviews that they have received, you can't go wrong with either of them.

I did two of their kits when I first started a year and half ago. I think it was an Oatmeal cookie brown and Jake's Cascadian. They were both really good and a great introduction for me. Haven't used a kit since then though. I took a sample of both to Ballast Point when I lived there and they said that they were good as well so that gave me some confidence too. I don't think you can go wrong with NB.

+1 to Dead Ringer. I ordered that with their 1 gallon starter kit a couple of years ago for my first homebrew and it was easily one of the best IPA's I had tasted (and still is to be honest). I just ordered their Smashing Pumpkin 5 gallon kit and plan on doing a 5 gallon of the Dead Ringer early next year after I brew some more winter-friendly beers for friends and family for the holidays. Given the reviews that they have received, you can't go wrong with either of them.

they have 5 gal kits? since when?

but these guys have 5 gal kits, http://shop.greatfermentations.com/category/biab-kits

AFAIK they don't have 5 gal BIAB. I brewed several of their 3 gal kits. with really good results when I first started with BIAB.

Every once in a while I'll do a batch of the Oatmeal Cookie as a 5 gal brew. SWMBO loves the stuff. I used brewsmith to convert the original recipe to 5 gal and just buy the bulk ingredients.

They have 5 gallon all-grain kits. They aren't specifically for BIAB but you could use them that way (right?).

They have 5 gallon all-grain kits. They aren't specifically for BIAB but you could use them that way (right?).

Sure. You may want to see if they'll do a double crush on the grains to help with BIAB efficiency.

Back