Northern Brewer and ship times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed an order on July 1st and it is now July 13th and my order hasn’t even been processed.

Anyone have any other sites to order from besides these guys? My last order came 6 days late as well.
Did you call/e-mail? I have generally had pretty good service from them over the years. I'd call and check on it, that is way, way too long - I'd see what is up or if a mistake was made.

I still prefer Morebeer. Their shipping has slowed since Covid, but it is still much faster than Northern Brewer. I live in PA and they have warehouses in PA and CA. I used to get shipments the next day using their free shipping. I seems to take about 3 days now and shippments from CA take about 4-5 days. Plus I feel better about ordering yeast from them.

I have used both Morebeer and Austin Home Brewing and have been happy with both. For me, Morebeer has a place about 30 mins from me. My next order I am going to have is sent to the store, then ask them at the store if they can give my grains a bit of a finer grind. I emailed the warehouse and they said they could not do it. But as far as shipping is concerned, MoreBeer has been really good

Did you call/e-mail? I have generally had pretty good service from them over the years. I'd call and check on it, that is way, way too long - I'd see what is up or if a mistake was made.
They don’t take calls anymore but I did get an email where they explained that their grain house orders take a while because…reasons… My 5 pounds total must be some extreme math for them. Also, they said it would still be another 2-3 days before my order is processed and shipped.

Northern Brewer is garbage.

I recently placed an order on June 29th, got an "Sorry we're behind" email and coupon on July 6, and I finally just sent an email asking about the status of my order on July 13.
Three hours later on the 13th I got a shipping confirmation, supposed to arrive today. Brew day Sunday back on track!

** BTW - I ordered 2 kits, unmilled. Maybe not crushing grains expedited things. Who knows.

👍👍 to Morebeer, Atlantic, and Ritebrew, I haven't used Delta. I recently placed an order with Hopcraft to get some Chevalier heritage malt, also 👍👍.

I used Delta for the first time during the sale...they didn't have everything I need but getting a 55 lb sack of Pilsner malt for free shipping was well worth it!

Just brewed with it today...happy with the brew day results!

I placed what will likely be my LAST order with NB last Sunday. Last night, I emailed customer service, asking what was up, as I am used to seeing orders shipped in two business days.

The response was: "We apologize for the delay! The warehouse has been very busy of late, and we are running a ways behind where we want to be on the grain-room orders. Those are the most labor-intensive, and they need to be made to order, of course. We're all working hard to get caught back up, and get everyone's orders out the door! We'll have this shipped for you soon, but it will be a bit longer before it ships. We hope this will not cause any major inconvenience."

At about 9:30 this morning, I responded to that email telling them, you know what, let's just go ahead and cancel the order, as I need to brew mid to late next week. By the end of the day today, I have heard nothing from them. That is totally not acceptable to me. I am NOT going to conduct business via email and have to wait a day to get a response. They have no phone number listed to call and talk to a human being.

This is the way customer service is trending in today's mega-corporate business climate, the bean counters gotta squeeze every single penney out of the business.....at the expense of quality of product/service.

BTW. Ordered from morebeer tonight, and with the free(slow) shipping, it is supposed to be here next Wednesday, in time for me to keep my date with my Brewzilla.

YMMV

Lon

I placed what will likely be my LAST order with NB last Sunday. Last night, I emailed customer service, asking what was up, as I am used to seeing orders shipped in two business days.

The response was: "We apologize for the delay! The warehouse has been very busy of late, and we are running a ways behind where we want to be on the grain-room orders. Those are the most labor-intensive, and they need to be made to order, of course. We're all working hard to get caught back up, and get everyone's orders out the door! We'll have this shipped for you soon, but it will be a bit longer before it ships. We hope this will not cause any major inconvenience."

At about 9:30 this morning, I responded to that email telling them, you know what, let's just go ahead and cancel the order, as I need to brew mid to late next week. By the end of the day today, I have heard nothing from them. That is totally not acceptable to me. I am NOT going to conduct business via email and have to wait a day to get a response. They have no phone number listed to call and talk to a human being.

This is the way customer service is trending in today's mega-corporate business climate, the bean counters gotta squeeze every single penney out of the business.....at the expense of quality of product/service.

BTW. Ordered from morebeer tonight, and with the free(slow) shipping, it is supposed to be here next Wednesday, in time for me to keep my date with my Brewzilla.

YMMV

Lon
I’ve always had good luck with MoreBeer. They had some issues at the height of Covid but were still good considering. I order a lot from Atlantic Brew Supply too and my orders are usually processed the same day or the next depending on when I place the order. I most recently ordered some ingredients from SoCo Homebrew in Austin (recommended by @ThirstyPawsHB) and they had my order to my door in Colorado in 3 days. I’ve only ever dealt with NB twice and don’t remember it taking too long, but that was quite a while ago.

Have not had a good experience with NB. Always an excuse for everything! Slow shipping times, high prices and just no longer worth the trouble. I use Ritebrew when able but the shipping can be a little high at times. MoreBeer is my main source, a great no nonsense company that always comes through. I would also highly recommend SoCo Homebrew, a good little outfit that has some really good all grain recipe kits and very reasonable prices.. AIH was once very good but appears to have become Northern Brewerized and has been deleted off my online shopping list.

DMF

Have not had a good experience with NB. Always an excuse for everything! Slow shipping times, high prices and just no longer worth the trouble. I use Ritebrew when able but the shipping can be a little high at times. MoreBeer is my main source, a great no nonsense company that always comes through. I would also highly recommend SoCo Homebrew, a good little outfit that has some really good all grain recipe kits and very reasonable prices.. AIH was once very good but appears to have become Northern Brewerized and has been deleted off my online shopping list.

DMF
MoreBeer is awesome…they always come through and have really nice variety of kits. Deltabrewingsupply is on my premier large bulk order list. NB is too spendy now snd AIH has become undesirable, where at one time it was really good. Did AIH sell out to somebody else?

YMMV

Lon

I thought I would come back and update this post. To their credit, they did cancel the order and issue refund to my PayPal. Downside it that it took two days to get it done (on a Sunday, no less).

Edit: Just made the exact same order(including malt houses, so a total oranges to oranges comparison) from Morebeer, and it will be here Thursday (would have been Wednesday, but one of the grains was not in stock in the CA warehouse, so is coming from NJ). Oh yeah....9 dollars less on a roughly $100 order.....

Lon

Last edited:
I don't know what happened to Northern Brewer, but last month I placed an order and it took them two weeks before sending it out, so it was almost 3 weeks before I received the order. And for the first time, they gave me grain that wasn't properly crushed. Except for a ting bit of dust in the bag, you could hardly tell it had been through the mill.

Maybe it's just hard to get good help nowadays.

I don't know what happened to Northern Brewer, but last month I placed an order and it took them two weeks before sending it out, so it was almost 3 weeks before I received the order. And for the first time, they gave me grain that wasn't properly crushed. Except for a ting bit of dust in the bag, you could hardly tell it had been through the mill.

When enough people get tired of this kind of run around and stop shopping there maybe NB will get over itself and realize maybe there's a problem.

DMF

Does NB still have a storefront in the twin cities? If so, which store is it (Minneapolis or St Paul); I'm pretty sure they closed one of them a year or so ago. Has anybody gone there in person to buy whole sacks of grain?

I placed an order 8 days ago, no grain in the order, and it still hasn't shipped. Dropped them an email over the weekend and am waiting for a response. They had a sale on hops and a coupon, for the few dollars I saved it is not worth the headache. Probably the last time I'll be using them.

about a month ago ...
Does NB still have a storefront in the twin cities? If so, which store is it (Minneapolis or St Paul); I'm pretty sure they closed one of them a year or so ago. Has anybody gone there in person to buy whole sacks of grain?
Yes to store fronts in the Twin Cities. From time to time, my travels through the "north coast" grant me time to get to either Northern Brewer (St Paul) or Midwest Supplies (west side of Minneapolis); there was (past tense) a Northern Brewer store on the west side of Minneapolis.

I've been to both stores in person over the last six months, but I don't buy whole sacks of grain. Service has been good to excellent. I would assume that they still sell whole sacks. With regard to purchasing full sacks, someone here at HomeBrewTalk may have had some recent experience. There are also a number of Twin Cities brewers that are active in /r/homebrewing's "Daily Q&A".

I placed an order 8 days ago, no grain in the order, and it still hasn't shipped. Dropped them an email over the weekend and am waiting for a response. They had a sale on hops and a coupon, for the few dollars I saved it is not worth the headache. Probably the last time I'll be using them.
Yeah, I cancelled my last grain order and got it from Morebeer. Had it at my door in three business days, cheaper to boot. I did just complete an order from NB, and the only reason I ordered from them is part of it was exclusive to them and Midwest supply and it was just replacing existing equipment that still worked, so waiting a week and a half for them to ship it wasn't that big of a deal, and, oh yeah, 20% off....

@Teufelhunde

I've never gotten anything in less than 8days from NB to Austin. Blessing having great guys, SoCo Homebrew, only 10miles away.
I live less than an hour away from the store and haven't had anything earlier than 3 weeks for my last 3 orders. I've basically stopped using them and found this tiny little LHBS that's 5 minutes from my house. It's legit the size of my kitchen with one guy that works there. At this point the only thing that will get me through the door is a crazy sale, and if it's that good I'll make the drive vs order online. I just can't trust their online ordering system and have $10 vouchers I'll never use from both NB/MW because the last orders took so long.

Back