New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What dry hop temp and duration have you guys settled on? Is anyone rousing hops in a conical? Also, how much dry hops (oz) in a roughly 7 gallon batch in the fermenter are you using?
Soft crash yeast out at 50-55F before DH. DH for 24-48 hours at 55-60F. I don't swirl or shake fermenter after DH. I typically DH around 8-10oz for a 5 gallon batch, with about 6-6.5 gallons in fermentor. Most numbers I see are 2-2.5oz per gal, so YMMV.

10-14C in 48-72 hours. Shake a few times each day. Then cold crash.

300 g to 20 L.

10-14C in 48-72 hours. Shake a few times each day. Then cold crash.

300 g to 20 L.
I would probably only advise shaking the fermentor if you have a way to dump the yeast before DH. You don't really want to mix everything back into suspension, especially if you're soft crashing the yeast. This can lead to harshness and hop burn from the yeast/hop interaction. That's been my personal experience and a lot of what I've read over the past few years. Ever since I started soft crashing, then DH, I can drink out of the keg basically on day 2, without any harshness.

Last edited:
Sim
What dry hop temp and duration have you guys settled on? Is anyone rousing hops in a conical? Also, how much dry hops (oz) in a roughly 7 gallon batch in the fermenter are you using?
Similar to others, I soft crash to 48f then dry hop at 55 to 58, I'm usually around 1.5 oz per gallon and lately I have been splitting the dry hop into 2 separate additions.. first half goes in and I rouse them in my conical after 12 hours, then after 24 hours add the second additon, rouse again 12 hours later then leave it alone for 24 to 36 hours, cold crash for at least 36 hours usually more like 48.

I've settled on something very similar as others here. Here is a sample assuming I start the process on day 10 after brewing, which might vary a bit. I find that if I dry hop too much below 65 degrees, everything sinks to the bottom pretty quickly. I'm not sure how much that affects the quality, but I tend to give it a full day after the soft crash to get back closer to 65. If the hops do float on the surface I will very gently swirl/rock the carboy to try to incorporate them more (if I think of it).

Day 10: soft crash to 50
day 11: bring beer back up to 60 to 65
day 12: add dry hop #1
day 13: add dry hop #2
Day 14: start cold crash
Day 15-16: keg

I have a spike CF5, my process is pretty similar to what others have said....
I soft crash at 55F wait 24hrs, dump yeast, dry hop #1 at 55F, gently rock fermenter, wait 24hrs, dump dh #1, dry hop #2, gently rock fermenter, wait 24hrs, dump dh #2, crash to 35F for 48hrs, dump hops and keg.

I will say that my hop aroma and flavor is not has pungent as I'd wish it would be for the amount I'm dry hopping. My total dry hop is at 2oz per gal so around 12oz, I can get 6gal in the cf5. I have a feeling the hops are dropping into my cf5 dump elbow and I'm not getting the best extraction. I really wish the dump port and elbow wasn't 2", in my opinion its way too big.

I just bought the below so that I can try rousing hops with co2 on my next batch.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc2blg.htm

I would probably only advise shaking the fermentor if you have a way to dump the yeast before DH. You don't really want to mix everything back into suspension, especially if you're soft crashing the yeast. This can lead to harshness and hop burn from the yeast/hop interaction. That's been my personal experience and a lot of what I've read over the past few years. Every since I started soft crashing, then DH, I can drink out of the keg basically on day 2, without any harshness.
Sure, I do cold crash and rack to a fermentation flushed pressure fermenter (SnubNose v3) before dry hopping and shaking.

My last NEIPA had the most hop intensity of all my NEIPAs. It was dry hopped at 10 C/50 F. Will stay on 10 C for my next brew.

I soft crash at 55F wait 24hrs, dump yeast, dry hop #1 at 55F, gently rock fermenter, wait 24hrs, dump dh #1, dry hop #2, gently rock fermenter, wait 24hrs, dump dh #2, crash to 35F for 48hrs, dump hops and keg.

I will say that my hop aroma and flavor is not has pungent as I'd wish it would be for the amount I'm dry hopping. My total dry hop is at 2oz per gal so around 12oz, I can get 6gal in the cf5. I have a feeling the hops are dropping into my cf5 dump elbow and I'm not getting the best extraction. I really wish the dump port and elbow wasn't 2", in my opinion its way too big.

I just bought the below so that I can try rousing hops with co2 on my next batch.
Yeah that’s what I use to blast c02 from the bottom. Use a sight glass and get rid of that elbow. You can then see the hops mixing and you also have less waste.

Sure, I do cold crash and rack to a fermentation flushed pressure fermenter (SnubNose v3) before dry hopping and shaking.

My last NEIPA had the most hop intensity of all my NEIPAs. It was dry hopped at 10 C/50 F. Will stay on 10 C for my next brew.
Wow 50f. It’s interesting, I might give it a try. Interesting tho that spec sheet from other half shows them dry hopping at fermentation temp of 72.

Wow 50f. It’s interesting, I might give it a try. Interesting tho that spec sheet from other half shows them dry hopping at fermentation temp of 72.

There are lots of brewers on this thread with a lot more success and experience brewing NEIPAs, but playing around with different hopping techniques and temps leads me to believe that if you are dry hopping in the 50F range, it really helps to have a way to rouse the hops to get better extraction. Otherwise there is a chance they quickly fall to the bottom of the fermenter. Rousing generally requires the ability to drop out yeast and trub, or transferring to a purged vessel for dry hopping. I have not taken that step myself.

I have also found that steps needed to cool crash and dry hop at cooler temps adds several more days to the fermentation process. I am not in a huge rush, but it ties up my fermentation chamber and makes it difficult to brew on a every other weekend schedule. I will continue to play with different techniques, but I have gotten my best dry hop flavors in an American IPA dry hopping for 2 days at fermentation temps (around 72F to finish) then cold crashing. Though note, this is just a 0.8 oz per gallon dry hopping rate and not in an NEIPA.

It may depend a bit on your goals. What hop flavors you enjoy and how intense of hop character you want. The post from @secretlevel (New England IPA - "Northeast" style IPA) is interesting. All 3 of these beer placed in a competition. There were differences in the beers, and people had preferences. It could be that preference would shift with the beer at 1 week vs 2 weeks vs 4 weeks.

I have a CF10 and use the same adapter to churn up the hops. My current setup is CF10->sight glass->elbow-> butterfly. I rouse every 12 hours or so. But the hops seem to get really compacted in the elbow and sight glass in a fairly short amount of time (even after CO2 rousing) and I'm wondering if I am not getting full extraction because of that. So, I have been considering adding a butterfly just above the sightglass that I could then close when dryhopping to keep the hops up in the vessel more. And now that I think about it, it may make collecting yeast even easier.

Also, just got an email from YVH about a Galaxy Flash Sale. Looks like 2021 crop for $16/lb.

1648743449097.png

Also, just got an email from YVH about a Galaxy Flash Sale. Looks like 2021 crop for $16/lb.

View attachment 764561
I literally was about to order hops last week from them but figured I’d wait until this week to see what they were going to put on sale. Needless to say I’m stoked to get 2 times as much Galaxy for the same price I would have paid last week. Especially since I just used up all of my Galaxy from 2020 two weeks ago. I’m thinking a Galaxy, Nelson, and Citra (maybe Mosaic?) NEIPA will be coming here shortly.

I have a CF10 and use the same adapter to churn up the hops. My current setup is CF10->sight glass->elbow-> butterfly. I rouse every 12 hours or so. But the hops seem to get really compacted in the elbow and sight glass in a fairly short amount of time (even after CO2 rousing) and I'm wondering if I am not getting full extraction because of that. So, I have been considering adding a butterfly just above the sightglass that I could then close when dryhopping to keep the hops up in the vessel more. And now that I think about it, it may make collecting yeast even easier.
That's what I'm saying man.. get rid of that elbow. For the amount of hops we're using for dry hops, the hops are just sitting in that elbow and not with the beer. I have the CF5 and just put use sight glass then butterfly valve. No elbow anymore. When I dump the yeast, I use a 2" TC X BARB attached to a hose going into a bucket. Works great for me and you waste less beer and have better hop contact. I too rouse from the bottom and watch through the sight glass to make sure they mix in well. IM just trying to see what temps and contact time has been working for people. My next brew I'm going to add a charge at the end of fermentation and then crash to dump everything. Then add another charge at 50F. Last year i was having luck with 55F but wanted to change it up. Also have had great luck at ferm temps back in the day lol. Almost tempted to try in the 60s range. Wonder what most craft breweries are doing these days. From that clipboard pic, looks like OH is DHing at 72. I'm sure this was discussed earlier in the thread.

If you follow me on Instagram you may of saw me post about this back in earlier March but I wanted to to share a recent opportunity tht came to me

The head brewer of Indian Ladder Farms Brewery and Cidery (a local 20 bbl farm brewery) reached out to me asking if I would be willing to help them develop a Double NEIPA ipa recipe from one of my recipes he enjoyed.

So we brewed a 12bbl batch that was split into 3 fermenters to receive different yeast and dryhop combos.

Grains;
70% Pearl Malt
20% Chit Malt
10% Flaked Oats

Hotside hops;
mash hopped with eureka and calypso to 30 ibus

FV1
Omega Cosmic Punch
Dryhoped with phantasm, Brewers Gold, & Citra

FV2 (my full recipe)
Imperial Dryhop
Dryhoped with Citra Calypso

FV3
Lallemans east coast ale yeast
Dryhoped with Phantasm, Eureka, & Nugget

All the beers were released last night on tap and in cans at the taproom (will be in NYS Distro next week) at their VIP/Stakeholders/Industry folk night where there was an official tasting where each guest was given a scoresheets. The beer that received the most votes will become their flagship double NEIPA.

Here are some pictures from brewday and last night ;
D1F0767F-24B6-4A88-90B0-93F613DF3169.jpeg
80037F4F-CA43-4536-8D22-E4EFD5C00AB5.jpeg
7F698CF2-7B44-4183-A925-382CD090CAF4.jpeg
3DBA4A61-3E67-439C-8F3A-2CC7B1DB8A58.jpeg
FF24588A-2CF7-40F5-80E3-31F8C78AFEF6.jpeg
17CADBA7-038B-45F2-9680-C6205A6DA9F4.jpeg
95F26E88-B207-4EDD-A266-66F37FBCFC2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on that man. I'm sure it was a fun and awesome experience it. I've adopted a lot of things from your processes and it has greatly improved my beers I can only imagine how great the beers you make are and I have no doubt the brews you helped them produce will be a hit.

Cheers brother!!

Yeah that’s what I use to blast c02 from the bottom. Use a sight glass and get rid of that elbow. You can then see the hops mixing and you also have less waste.

Good call! I like the sight glass no elbow idea. I might combine that with what BoilerInSoCal said.

I have been considering adding a butterfly just above the sightglass that I could then close when dryhopping to keep the hops up in the vessel more. And now that I think about it, it may make collecting yeast even easier.

Great idea! I think I might try that on my next brew!

Congrats on that man. I'm sure it was a fun and awesome experience it. I've adopted a lot of things from your processes and it has greatly improved my beers I can only imagine how great the beers you make are and I have no doubt the brews you helped them produce will be a hit.

Cheers brother!!
Thanks brother. Much appreciated!

That must have been so much fun brewing on a 12bbl system! Congrats, thats so cool they asked you to help design their flagship.
It was a lot of fun and really informative. His system gets nearly 88-92% efficiency and it was still nearly 600lbs of grain. I felt very honored to be a part of it.

If you follow me on Instagram you may of saw me post about this back in earlier March but I wanted to to share a recent opportunity tht came to me

The head brewer of Indian Ladder Farms Brewery and Cidery (a local 20 bbl farm brewery) reached out to me asking if I would be willing to help them develop a Double NEIPA ipa recipe from one of my recipes he enjoyed.

So we brewed a 12bbl batch that was split into 3 fermenters to receive different yeast and dryhop combos.

Grains;
70% Pearl Malt
20% Chit Malt
10% Flaked Oats

Hotside hops;
mash hopped with eureka and calypso to 30 ibus

FV1
Omega Cosmic Punch
Dryhoped with phantasm, Brewers Gold, & Citra

FV2 (my full recipe)
Imperial Dryhop
Dryhoped with Citra Calypso

FV3
Lallemans east coast ale yeast
Dryhoped with Phantasm, Eureka, & Nugget

All the beers were released last night on tap and in cans at the taproom (will be in NYS Distro next week) at their VIP/Stakeholders/Industry folk night where there was an official tasting where each guest was given a scoresheets. The beer that received the most votes will become their flagship double NEIPA.

Here are some pictures from brewday and last night ;
View attachment 764588View attachment 764589View attachment 764590View attachment 764591View attachment 764593View attachment 764594View attachment 764592

It'd be so cool to learn how to brew on a commercial system and Holy efficiency Batman!! Did you know the brewer there or just sort of hand off bottles when you go?

It'd be so cool to learn how to brew on a commercial system and Holy efficiency Batman!! Did you know the brewer there or just sort of hand off bottles when you go?
At this point, I know him. However that started by me introducing my self and leaving him a bottle.

At this point, I know him. However that started by me introducing my self and leaving him a bottle.

I'm surprised to see brewers gold and Lalbrew NE in the mix. What were your impressions of the 3 beers? Was there a clear favorite in the tap room? Congrats!!!

I'm surprised to see brewers gold and Lalbrew NE in the mix. What were your impressions of the 3 beers? Was there a clear favorite in the tap room? Congrats!!!
Thanks man. They are a hop farm as well and so the calypso, brewers gold and nugget were all their hops. Also in NYS to fall under the Farm brewers, you currently need to use 60-70% NYS ingredients, so that’s why we had to pair Citra with those. That said, their brewers gold this year has floral and tangerine notes.

the head brewer wanted to use dry lallemands because it’s something they already purchase in high quantities for other brews, so he wanted to see if it would make a solid beer for future brews to be more economical.

In ranking, the omega came out with far superior aroma, and fruitier flavor with more passionfruit/nectarine character but really low perceived bitterness so it kinda died out at the end of the pallet. The imperial had great flavor but for some reason, the aroma was pretty low and locked up. Lallemands was too earthy and old school for the style but we talked about how it would work well for a wet hop ipa in the fall with a touch more brightness

Last edited:
Newbie brewing my 4th batch (3rd time at a NEIPA). I’ve got about 3.75 gallons in corny keg. How much time would you say I should keep in fridge to get it from 70 degrees to 50degrees and should I then hold for 24 hours before raising temp slightly before dry hop? Keg is getting used for 2ndary ferm and serving vessel. Left a lot of beer and yeast in conical (1st time using it) and I cut 2 in off bottom of dip tube. Also I have a bag dangling from inside lid using sous vide mangets (2oz mosaic and 3oz Vic secret)

I have been lurking for over a year reading every single page of this thread. Such a great collective of info from people that know their stuff and make solid NEIPAs.

Below is my latest creation (not fully carbed) based off techniques I’ve learned in this thread over the year. This time I only did one dryhop (1.33oz/gallon) after dumping trub and soft crashing to 55 degrees. Love the aroma I got from this technique.

1F877F49-4F62-4507-8D8C-0E0076E398F7.jpeg

Thanks to all that have kept this thread going as long as they have and provided great content.

I picked up some Citra Spectrum that I'm going to use in an Oat Cream DIPA over the weekend. Has anyone used this yet and have any tips on use? I got 50ml of it so going to spilt it to get 3 brews out of it. I was reading that you shouldn't use more than 1g/L so I'll use around 16g in 20L. What's the best way to mix it for adding to the beer? Really worried about oxygen pick up here. Thinking of just boiling water and let it cool down a bit before pouring into the Spectrum.

I have some Incognito for the whirlpool which I'll pair with t90 Citra and also lupomax to add to the Spectrum in the dry hop. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Going back to trying the Verdant yeast again after @HopsAreGood recent success with it.

Newbie brewing my 4th batch (3rd time at a NEIPA). I’ve got about 3.75 gallons in corny keg. How much time would you say I should keep in fridge to get it from 70 degrees to 50degrees and should I then hold for 24 hours before raising temp slightly before dry hop? Keg is getting used for 2ndary ferm and serving vessel. Left a lot of beer and yeast in conical (1st time using it) and I cut 2 in off bottom of dip tube. Also I have a bag dangling from inside lid using sous vide mangets (2oz mosaic and 3oz Vic secret)

Your fermentation should be done in a week +/- a couple of days, so there's really no need for secondary. Keep the beer at 50F for 24-48 hours and then you're good to warm it up and add the hops!

You could look into a floating dip tube instead of cut dip tube, that way you can get more beer out. They're like $15.

In what step of the process are you guys using Lupomax with best results? Whirlpool or Dry hop?

I have been lurking for over a year reading every single page of this thread. Such a great collective of info from people that know their stuff and make solid NEIPAs.

Below is my latest creation (not fully carbed) based off techniques I’ve learned in this thread over the year. This time I only did one dryhop (1.33oz/gallon) after dumping trub and soft crashing to 55 degrees. Love the aroma I got from this technique.

View attachment 764639

Thanks to all that have kept this thread going as long as they have and provided great content.

did you rouse that at all? It looks beautifully dense

Last edited:
Your fermentation should be done in a week +/- a couple of days, so there's really no need for secondary. Keep the beer at 50F for 24-48 hours and then you're good to warm it up and add the hops!

You could look into a floating dip tube instead of cut dip tube, that way you can get more beer out. They're like $15.
OG was 1.080. End of day 5 was 1.034 and that’s when I went from fermenter to keg. Day 10 was 1.028 and target should be 1.021 to 1.023 based on cosmic punch (British V) yeast and 152 degree mash. From days 5-11 air temp has been a bit cooler than I’d like (69). I moved it a little closer to vent and wrapped a towel and jacket around it. Plan on checking gravity again on Day 14

did you rouse that at all? It looks beautifully dense

I did not. I had a sanitation issue the one and only time I tried to rouse in the conical and haven’t since. I want to get back to rousing.

The grain bill I have been using is similar but not exact to what HopsAreGood has suggested in some of his posts because I love how his look.

2 Row
Malted Oats
Malted Wheat
Acid Malt
Carapils (probably do not need it at all but it makes me feel better)

I plan on trying spelt soon.

Last edited:
Thanks man. They are a hop farm as well and so the calypso, brewers gold and nugget were all their hops. Also in NYS to fall under the Farm brewers, you currently need to use 60-70% NYS ingredients, so that’s why we had to pair Citra with those. That said, their brewers gold this year has floral and tangerine notes.

the head brewer wanted to use dry lallemands because it’s something they already purchase in high quantities for other brews, so he wanted to see if it would make a solid beer for future brews to be more economical.

In ranking, the omega came out with far superior aroma, and fruitier flavor with more passionfruit/nectarine character but really low perceived bitterness so it kinda died out at the end of the pallet. The imperial had great flavor but for some reason, the aroma was pretty low and locked up. Lallemands was too earthy and old school for the style but we talked about how it would work well for a wet hop ipa in the fall with a touch more brightness
Looks like it was an awesome experience @Dgallo ! My experience with cosmic punch (n=4 brews) is VERY similar. Excellent aroma and intense flavor. It is VERY intense fruitiness...almost too much for me and my brews had IBUs in the high 30s to mid 40 range which is a tad higher than these beers. I do love this yeast and haven't used it in a while but next time I do, I plan on upping the IBUs even more to try to compensate and have a better balance. Curious...were all three beers relatively the same DH rates? Also curious as to this breweries cold side practices. Do they do a pretty solid job of limiting oxygen on the cold side? Judging by the pics with the cool looking penis (umm I mean hop dropper) on top of the tanks, they seem to pay attention to these details. lol

View attachment 764639

Loving the Monkish milky colour.
What yeast did you go with

View attachment 764314
So the pictured beer is my newest NEIPA which I mentioned earlier. It was one of my best batches as of 2 days ago, and even after testing it twice before kegging, it has developed diacetyl as of yesterday. Have any of you ever had success with Krausening? Does it effect aroma and flavor significantly? I mean losing some aroma and flavor is better than having a beer with diacetyl but I’m just curious if I should just consider it a loss. Man I’m annoyed! Also, have any of you used ALDC for preventing diacetyl creation yet? I know professional breweries have been using it and that More Beer now sells it at the home brewer scale. I’ll definitely be picking some up before brewing another NEIPA.
D1676178-0360-4B9F-BA1B-8C239C7F6A45.jpegI figured some of you might be interested to know that I ended up leaving the keg out at room temp for about a week and the diacetyl is gone as far as I can tell. I find myself searching for it now unfortunately and it might still have a hint but compared to what it was, this is MUCH better. Now the aroma is like a creamy coconut and pineapple cocktail. Quite a nice combo! Also getting some blueberry upfront from the Mosaic. I’d call it a success!

I picked up some Citra Spectrum that I'm going to use in an Oat Cream DIPA over the weekend. Has anyone used this yet and have any tips on use? I got 50ml of it so going to spilt it to get 3 brews out of it. I was reading that you shouldn't use more than 1g/L so I'll use around 16g in 20L. What's the best way to mix it for adding to the beer? Really worried about oxygen pick up here. Thinking of just boiling water and let it cool down a bit before pouring into the Spectrum.

I have some Incognito for the whirlpool which I'll pair with t90 Citra and also lupomax to add to the Spectrum in the dry hop. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Going back to trying the Verdant yeast again after @HopsAreGood recent success with it.
add it end of fermentation to get good mixing

Back