New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once did a neipa with Columbus T90 in the hot side and Citra Cryo and Mosaic Cryo in the dry hop.

Boring.

Next time I use Cryo I will follow the advices and mix T90 and Cryo in the dry hop.

Not going to be a great help for ya because I simply don't know, but based on a few peeps talking about this on this thread, I too used a blend of LUPOMAX and regular pellets. Not too sure what the exact difference would be with 100% LUPOMAX though. In the end, you've made beer!

Thanks! I'm leaning that way too, so I guess I'll give it a shot

Ok so, I just did some sensory on all my dryhop options for the beer I'm brewing tomorrow and here's what I found, maybe this will be useful for someone.
  • 2019 Simcoe T90
    • Slightly catty up front, turning to pine, grapefruit, and passionfruit as it warmed
  • 2020 Simcoe Cryo
    • Very grapefruit and pine and the passionfruit was still there but came across a bit chemically. I smelled it from further away and it was much better.
  • 2020 Mosaic T90
    • Berry, mango, and grassy with a hint of chemical and garlic/onion on the exhale, overall not my favorite
  • 2020 Mosaic Lupomax
    • INTENSE burnt plastic/chemical smell, just godawful. Underneath that I still got the berry but man these smell bad. I might try a smash beer with them later to see how they come through in a beer
  • 2020 Citra T-90
    • Tangerine, mango, and light grass, very pleasant
  • 2020 Citra Lupomax
    • Exactly the same as the T-90 just more intense
  • 2020 Nelson T-90
    • Strong diesel up front, but as soon as I crushed them and warmed them they became a magical floral/gooseberry/white wine - exactly as advertised here, these smell amazing
  • 2020 Idaho 7 T-90
    • Orange citrus, passionfruit/mango, hay, and pine, really pleasant
  • 2020 Idaho 7 Lupomax
    • I agree with couchsurfer these are amazing, passionfruit/mango, orange citrus, pine, and light hay but far more bright and intense than the T-90
Based on this here is the (modified) recipe I'm brewing tomorrow:

6 gallons into the fermenter
OG 1.077
Calculated IBU 30.2
Estimated OG 1.020
Mash at 153 for 60 min with a mashout at 168
60 min boil
London Ale III, 2L starter cold crashed and decanted
Ferment at 68F for 2 days and ramp to 70F

Water profile: Ca 81, Na 36, Cl 148, Mg 8, Sulfate 69. Mash acidified with lactic for a pH of 5.4 at room temp. Add an additional lactic acid to the last 10 min of the boil for a knockout pH of 5.1

14lb Maris Otter
3.75 lb Spelt malt
0.5 lb Honey malt

Hot Hops
0.35oz Simcoe T90 @ 30 min
0.5oz Simcoe T90 @ 5 min

WP Hops - 20 min at 160
2 oz Cascade Cryo
1 oz Simcoe Cryo
1 oz Columbus Lupomax

Dryhop - ~7 days into primary, soft crash to 55 and drop in under flowing CO2. Rouse after 12 hours with Co2, and dump after ~24 hours
2 oz Citra Lupomax
2 oz Idaho 7 Lupomax
2 oz Simcoe T-90
2 oz Nelson T-90

So approximate ratio 2:2:1:1

Feel like I'm being a pest but I'm going to bump this question

Has anyone experienced harm from using a 100% lupomax dryhop?

Based on reading through the last hundred-odd pages on this thread, I haven't found anything but one or two off-hand comments on the subject.
It won’t be bad by any mean but it there will be less depth of flavors. I’ve never done cryo or LUPOMAX at 100% but I went as high 75% in Cryo. It was a good beer, less hazy than my traditional (due to t45 pellets in general) but would have really benefited from another layer of flavor. I’ve been landing at about 30-50% of the dryhop load being cryo or LUPOMAX

My cosmic punch brew finally finished up went a little overboard with the dh but im very happy with the final product

6.5 gallons in the fermentor
Og 1.084
Fg 1.023
IBU 39
Fermented at 68 degrees with cosmic punch starter

18 lb pilsen malt
6 lb malted oats

Hop mashed with 6 oz of cascade at the beginning of the 60 minute mash

Whirlpool @175 for 20 mins with 2 oz citra

Dh after ferm @59f
2 oz cryo pop
1 oz Columbus
6 oz mosaic and
6 oz strata

Beer was very green first day in the keg. Waited 2 more days to try a glass and it's astounding how that harsh taste just faded. I'm really bad at tasting notes so my gf went with tropical fruit cocktail with a touch of dank dank berry.

Really excited to brew up another batch Monday with this yeast

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_183239.jpg
    IMG_20210821_183239.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
My cosmic punch brew finally finished up went a little overboard with the dh but im very happy with the final product

6.5 gallons in the fermentor
Og 1.084
Fg 1.023
IBU 39
Fermented at 68 degrees with cosmic punch starter

18 lb pilsen malt
6 lb malted oats

Hop mashed with 6 oz of cascade at the beginning of the 60 minute mash

Whirlpool @175 for 20 mins with 2 oz citra

Dh after ferm @59f
2 oz cryo pop
1 oz Columbus
6 oz mosaic and
6 oz strata

Beer was very green first day in the keg. Waited 2 more days to try a glass and it's astounding how that harsh taste just faded. I'm really bad at tasting notes so my gf went with tropical fruit cocktail with a touch of dank dank berry.

Really excited to brew up another batch Monday with this yeast
It'll be interesting to hear how this tastes through the length of the keg.

It won’t be bad by any mean but it there will be less depth of flavors. I’ve never done cryo or LUPOMAX at 100% but I went as high 75% in Cryo. It was a good beer, less hazy than my traditional (due to t45 pellets in general) but would have really benefited from another layer of flavor. I’ve been landing at about 30-50% of the dryhop load being cryo or LUPOMAX

Exactly what I was after thank you! I have settled on 50% by weight T-90 in my dry hop so I'm right in line with that, now it's just a matter of sticking to the plan!

Ok so, I just did some sensory on all my dryhop options for the beer I'm brewing tomorrow and here's what I found, maybe this will be useful for someone.
  • 2019 Simcoe T90
    • Slightly catty up front, turning to pine, grapefruit, and passionfruit as it warmed
  • 2020 Simcoe Cryo
    • Very grapefruit and pine and the passionfruit was still there but came across a bit chemically. I smelled it from further away and it was much better.
  • 2020 Mosaic T90
    • Berry, mango, and grassy with a hint of chemical and garlic/onion on the exhale, overall not my favorite
  • 2020 Mosaic Lupomax
    • INTENSE burnt plastic/chemical smell, just godawful. Underneath that I still got the berry but man these smell bad. I might try a smash beer with them later to see how they come through in a beer
  • 2020 Citra T-90
    • Tangerine, mango, and light grass, very pleasant
  • 2020 Citra Lupomax
    • Exactly the same as the T-90 just more intense
  • 2020 Nelson T-90
    • Strong diesel up front, but as soon as I crushed them and warmed them they became a magical floral/gooseberry/white wine - exactly as advertised here, these smell amazing
  • 2020 Idaho 7 T-90
    • Orange citrus, passionfruit/mango, hay, and pine, really pleasant
  • 2020 Idaho 7 Lupomax
    • I agree with couchsurfer these are amazing, passionfruit/mango, orange citrus, pine, and light hay but far more bright and intense than the T-90
Based on this here is the (modified) recipe I'm brewing tomorrow:

6 gallons into the fermenter
OG 1.077
Calculated IBU 30.2
Estimated OG 1.020
Mash at 153 for 60 min with a mashout at 168
60 min boil
London Ale III, 2L starter cold crashed and decanted
Ferment at 68F for 2 days and ramp to 70F

Water profile: Ca 81, Na 36, Cl 148, Mg 8, Sulfate 69. Mash acidified with lactic for a pH of 5.4 at room temp. Add an additional lactic acid to the last 10 min of the boil for a knockout pH of 5.1

14lb Maris Otter
3.75 lb Spelt malt
0.5 lb Honey malt

Hot Hops
0.35oz Simcoe T90 @ 30 min
0.5oz Simcoe T90 @ 5 min

WP Hops - 20 min at 160
2 oz Cascade Cryo
1 oz Simcoe Cryo
1 oz Columbus Lupomax

Dryhop - ~7 days into primary, soft crash to 55 and drop in under flowing CO2. Rouse after 12 hours with Co2, and dump after ~24 hours
2 oz Citra Lupomax
2 oz Idaho 7 Lupomax
2 oz Simcoe T-90
2 oz Nelson T-90

So approximate ratio 2:2:1:1
Looks pretty good. I personally like a little more bitterness overall, but that's personal preference. I am confused by your DH regimen though. So you are waiting til fermentation is done before soft crashing to 55 right? Not sure why you would rouse this 12 hrs after soft crashing. Or are you referring to rousing the actual dry hop additions 12hrs after adding?

Looks pretty good. I personally like a little more bitterness overall, but that's personal preference. I am confused by your DH regimen though. So you are waiting til fermentation is done before soft crashing to 55 right? Not sure why you would rouse this 12 hrs after soft crashing. Or are you referring to rousing the actual dry hop additions 12hrs after adding?

Yep the second one, just rousing/agitating the dry hops with CO2

Thanks! I went a little higher with bitterness on my last batch (38 IBU) and it was a bit too high for my liking. The problem with this style and bitterness is that so much of the bitterness doesn't come from isomerized alpha acids, and the perceived bitterness can come out drastically different than the calculations would indicate depending on the hops used.

Every one of these is really a roll of the dice on perceived bitterness until we learn the hop combos.

Feel like I'm being a pest but I'm going to bump this question

Has anyone experienced harm from using a 100% lupomax dryhop?

Based on reading through the last hundred-odd pages on this thread, I haven't found anything but one or two off-hand comments on the subject.

EQ did a 100% lupomax beer, I think its fine to use. Its not as concentrated as cryo.
I got an experiment planned to compare normal pellets vs lupomax

Looks great man! While my palate and nose is likely not that sophisticated yet as it’s still in training I have one question: what the hell is a grassy apricot? Lol

I've been eating more fruit since I got into brewing IPA's and it's pretty fun associating the flavors. It definitely helps put descriptors to flavors and as it turns out, fruit is freaking delicious! So I sort of made the grassy apricot up, looking back I think unripe apricot would probably be a better descriptor :)

Brew day went swimmingly, hit all my gravity numbers, nailed the mash and knockout pH targets, and the finished wort tasted great.

Cheers all and thanks for all the great advice and discussion on this thread

I'll follow up with some pics when this keg is tapped

So I'm really happy with how my Cosmic Punch brew turned out. 1.080-.1014, 82% attenuation. Although I intended to mash at 154, it ended up lower, around 150-151. Fermented at 69 for 5-6 days, then bumped to 72 for another 3-4. Cool crashed to 58 under pressure, dropped yeast, then dry hopped while flowing C02 through a separate port on my conical lid.

Water profile - 63ppm Ca, 16ppm Mg, 52 ppm NaCl, 109 CaSO4, 156 Cl.

Not the best with tasting notes, but I get peach/apricot on the nose, with a bit of diesel and weed, which is interesting since I didn't use Nelson in the dry hop. Taste is stone fruit, pineapple, very soft & juicy on the palate. Dangerously drinkable for 8.7%.
20210820_173022.jpg

Mash Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
12 lbs​
Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)​
Grain​
7​
63.2 %​
5 lbs​
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.2 SRM)​
Grain​
8​
26.3 %​
8.0 oz​
Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)​
Grain​
9​
2.6 %​
8.0 oz​
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)​
Grain​
10​
2.6 %​

Boil Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
1 lbs​
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)​
Sugar​
11​
5.3 %​
0.25 oz​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
Hop​
12​
9.6 IBUs​
0.50 oz​
Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min​
Hop​
13​
5.4 IBUs​
1.50 oz​
Bru-1 [14.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
14​
10.8 IBUs​
1.00 oz​
Nectaron [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
15​
5.4 IBUs​
1.00 oz​
Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
16​
5.9 IBUs​

Steeped Hops
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
2.50 oz​
Bru-1 [14.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min​
Hop​
17​
11.2 IBUs​
1.00 oz​
Nectaron [11.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min​
Hop​
18​
3.4 IBUs​
0.50 oz​
Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min​
Hop​
19​
1.8 IBUs​

Dry Hop
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
6.00 oz​
Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
21​
0.0 IBUs​
2.00 oz​
Bru-1 [14.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
22​
0.0 IBUs​

Anybody here ever use barbe rogue? Planning to dh with that and motueka just no idea what to expect really. I've had it in a few commercial beers but not enough times for it to really stand out for me

AF60C353-F7B7-4A08-AE92-9C2D1C64BF45.jpeg
Spelt Double NEIPA coming along nicely. Does anyone use a Fermzilla? I keep forgetting to put the gallon marker sticker on and have no idea how much wort I have in it. Any guesses? I’m thinking around 6? This is also myfirst time ever keeping a fermenter in a temp controlled fridge.

View attachment 740048Spelt Double NEIPA coming along nicely. Does anyone use a Fermzilla? I keep forgetting to put the gallon marker sticker on and have no idea how much wort I have in it. Any guesses? I’m thinking around 6? This is also myfirst time ever keeping a fermenter in a temp controlled fridge.

~6 sounds reasonable to me. Hard to see in this pick, but this is 5.5.

E0C0234E-E683-433F-A507-0AF3C5A45AE1.jpeg

A54635B5-A32A-44D3-A354-198EEE1D6B39.jpeg
So here is my first batch with cosmic punch ~30 hours post pitch. I have a feeling the Krausen is going to go crazy in another 24 hours or so as is typical with LA3, British V, Juice, etc…just a matter of time.

I mash hopped with 2 oz. Idaho 7, 1 oz. Simcoe, and 1 oz. Columbus. I waited until 15 minutes into the mash to add the hops just because mash hopping is kind of weird and I wasn’t sure if the hops would interfere in any way with the PH/conversion. In any event, it all went well and I used the same hops in the same ratio in a 170 WP for 30 minutes.

I pitched a 1L starter of cosmic punch into a 1.068 wort comprised of:

58% Pilsner
10% white wheat
10% spelt (all the cool kids are doing it)
10% oat malt
10% flaked oats
2% honey malt

So far it’s chugging away nicely at 69 and I’m awaiting the annoying massive krausen. I’ll be dry hopping with 8 oz. of 2020 Strata from YVH at 60 after a soft crash to 50-55. I’ll report back with my thoughts on what this yeast does or does not bring to the table.

View attachment 740060So here is my first batch with cosmic punch ~30 hours post pitch. I have a feeling the Krausen is going to go crazy in another 24 hours or so as is typical with LA3, British V, Juice, etc…just a matter of time.

I mash hopped with 2 oz. Idaho 7, 1 oz. Simcoe, and 1 oz. Columbus. I waited until 15 minutes into the mash to add the hops just because mash hopping is kind of weird and I wasn’t sure if the hops would interfere in any way with the PH/conversion. In any event, it all went well and I used the same hops in the same ratio in a 170 WP for 30 minutes.

I pitched a 1L starter of cosmic punch into a 1.068 wort comprised of:

58% Pilsner
10% white wheat
10% spelt (all the cool kids are doing it)
10% oat malt
10% flaked oats
2% honey malt

So far it’s chugging away nicely at 69 and I’m awaiting the annoying massive krausen. I’ll be dry hopping with 8 oz. of 2020 Strata from YVH at 60 after a soft crash to 50-55. I’ll report back with my thoughts on what this yeast does or does not bring to the table.
Not sure what others experiences are but currently my first cosmic punch NEIPA is soft crashing to 50. I overbuilt the starter for future batches. The starter erupted 6hrs after putting on a stir plate with high Krausen prob around 8-10hrs after putting on stir plate. Similarly my batch I have now in the fermenter was at high Krausen around 12-16hrs post pitch at 68 degrees and blow off tube was a savior as it was beastly. Was surprised how fast it (and the starter) reached high Krausen. Juice hit high Krausen for me around 24-30hrs ish. My cosmic punch was pretty much done after 5 days but didn't take the hydro sample until day 7 and ended at 1.015 which was what I was hoping (79% AA). The hydro sample was VERY good and quite intense with flavor using only Columbus and cascade hot side too. So have some high hopes for this batch.

With this beer, I wanted to use some of my favorite hops from HopHeaven, throw in Cosmic Punch and try some boil additions similar to Vitamin Sea's Double Summer.

90% 2-row
10% Golden naked oats

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
IBU: ~50 from boil

0.63 oz Citra 10.5% 20 min
0.63 oz Simcoe 15 min
0.84 oz Simcoe 10.6% 10 min

2 oz Citra WP @ 180F
2 oz Simcoe WP @ 180F

DH1: 3.5oz Citra @ 51F
DH2: 3.5oz Simcoe @ 40F

Aroma: Apricot, peach and pine
Flavor: Grassy apricot, creamy peach and light pine flavors, some Tropicana notes. This beer's definitely full-bodied, soft and mellow, but bitterness creates a nice drying character on the back of the tongue. It's not bitter in any way you'd imagine a west coast IPA being. It's barely noticeable, if at all. My buddy couldn't get any bitterness out of this beer.

What's funny is that I see some mango and orange in there if I try, but Citra is not the dominant character here. It's so much fruity Simcoe character, I love it.

Cosmic Punch didn't add any crazy flavors that I wouldn't find in a great Simcoe or Citra lot, but it just brought out the best of the hops. The beer is incredibly juicy, I think it may be one of my best ones yet, despite being a lower ABV brew.
Curious as Ive been reading LOTS of technical crap about thiols and till precursors...So you didn't do any mash hopping - check. But from what Ive read, cascade and Simcoe have some of the highest thiol precursors for 3MH that give that citrus fruity aroma/flavor. So do you think cosmic punch really elevated Simcoe here or just got a great lot of Simcoe?

https://www.brewersassociation.org/...iol-Precursors-in-Different-Hop-Varieties.pdf

Curious as Ive been reading LOTS of technical crap about thiols and till precursors...So you didn't do any mash hopping - check. But from what Ive read, cascade and Simcoe have some of the highest thiol precursors for 3MH that give that citrus fruity aroma/flavor. So do you think cosmic punch really elevated Simcoe here or just got a great lot of Simcoe?

https://www.brewersassociation.org/...iol-Precursors-in-Different-Hop-Varieties.pdf

That's a great question. This is my 4th Simcoe or Citra/Simcoe beer and I don't know if I've ever gotten this much fruity character out of it. It's likely that both factors played a big role here, but there's no doubt that the yeast helped amplify those flavors... This was only a 7oz dry hop, which is one of the lower ones I've done, but the dry hop character is pretty intense.

That presentation is a bit weird as it conflicts with the whole “survivable” chart that YCH released last year. They chart the 3MH precursor and cascade has very little. HBC520 has the most according to that chart, followed by Millenium, then maybe idaho7 and Comet.

I was screwing around with Mt Hood and Millenium on the hotside for a while. Not 100% sure I noticed any sort of additional tropical character or not but I wasn’t making the same exact beer over and over.

An interesting observation is the similarity of Mt Hood to Citra when it comes to “Survivability”. They’re incredibly similar and obviously Mt Hood is a lot cheaper.

That presentation is a bit weird as it conflicts with the whole “survivable” chart that YCH released last year. They chart the 3MH precursor and cascade has very little. HBC520 has the most according to that chart, followed by Millenium, then maybe idaho7 and Comet.

I was screwing around with Mt Hood and Millenium on the hotside for a while. Not 100% sure I noticed any sort of additional tropical character or not but I wasn’t making the same exact beer over and over.

An interesting observation is the similarity of Mt Hood to Citra when it comes to “Survivability”. They’re incredibly similar and obviously Mt Hood is a lot cheaper.

This is currently a point of confusion for me. The YCH bar graphs, and associated sortable spreadsheets, I have seen give 3MH. My assumption was that typically measured 3MH is a free thiol and these GMO yeasts free up or convert bound thiols. The powerpoint presentation floating around distinguishes between free thiols and precursors. Where am I going wrong?

Would love to get my hands on some of that Cosmic Punch, looks wild. It'll never launch over here unfortunately with it being GMO, the EU will probably never go for it.

I was under the same impression as couchsending. Use hops in mash with high amount of precursors and GMO Cosmic Punch yeast. Then you get thiol production.

I know we all just got our hands on this stuff but wondering what the best temperature is to maximize the thiol production.

I was under the same impression as couchsending. Use hops in mash with high amount of precursors and GMO Cosmic Punch yeast. Then you get thiol production.

I know we all just got our hands on this stuff but wondering what the best temperature is to maximize the thiol production.

True there is a difference between bound and free I guess... however 3MH doesn’t generally volatize during the boil, if anything it increases (which could be from malt??). So starting with hops high in 3MH (bound or free) on the hotside will leave you with more in the fermenter. You’re looking for yeast to convert 3MH to 3MHA which is the tropical/passion fruit thiol. If not 100% sure but I believe you’d have to add the Hops high in bound 3MH to the cold side during fermentation in order for them to be released?? Could be wrong on that.

I agree that the survivable data charts vs the brewers association link I posted appear at odds, but I don't think the survivable chart actually includes the precursor form of 3MH, it just includes "3MH" listed int he legend in addition to the fact that cascade is on the low end due to the lower alcohols, hop esters and acids as well, all of which contribute to the "survivable" chart. In contrast, the brewers association presentation separates out free vs precursor forms of 3MH in separate charts. While cascade and Simcoe are low in free 3mh thiols they are very high in precursor form. Cosmic Punch has marketed the yeast to biotransform the precursor form of 3MH to 3MH - primarily grapefruit with some passion fruit, but not as much passion fruit as 3MHA which is exclusively tropical/passion fruit. So the goal is to load up the wort in the fermenter with as much 3MH and 3MH precursors as possible for cosmic punch do do its job. Very interesting to say the least. Would really like to see other third party research on this topic rather than just the manufacturer too, but still fascinating.

True there is a difference between bound and free I guess... however 3MH doesn’t generally volatize during the boil, if anything it increases (which could be from malt??). So starting with hops high in 3MH (bound or free) on the hotside will leave you with more in the fermenter. You’re looking for yeast to convert 3MH to 3MHA which is the tropical/passion fruit thiol. If not 100% sure but I believe you’d have to add the Hops high in bound 3MH to the cold side during fermentation in order for them to be released?? Could be wrong on that.
I can't find where I read it but agree that 3MH in any form increases in the boil. But I don't think that cosmic punch specifically was designed to convert 3MH to 3MHA - only "unlock" or convert the 3MH precursor to 3MH. I can't speak to whether the hops high in bound 3MH would "release" the other bound 3MH already present but Omega is banking on the fact that its their yeast doing the biotransforming from precursor form to thiol form. I'll be doing a couple of brews with this yeast (one at present is soft crashing) and considering doing one without the soft crash pre-dry hop in order to allow as much of the cosmic punch yeast to biotransform the precursors from the dry hops to their thiol compounds. Still don't know though if I want to try adding the DH to high Krausen though. Feels like we are living in the Wild West these days with figuring all this out especially when a GMO yeast comes our way. I will say though that my hydrometer sample after FG and pre-soft crash was REALLY good and had strong grapefruit followed by great tropical vibe when using only Columbus and cascade hot side. So there seems to be something to this stuff IMHO.

I can't find where I read it but agree that 3MH in any form increases in the boil. But I don't think that cosmic punch specifically was designed to convert 3MH to 3MHA - only "unlock" or convert the 3MH precursor to 3MH. I can't speak to whether the hops high in bound 3MH would "release" the other bound 3MH already present but Omega is banking on the fact that its their yeast doing the biotransforming from precursor form to thiol form. I'll be doing a couple of brews with this yeast (one at present is soft crashing) and considering doing one without the soft crash pre-dry hop in order to allow as much of the cosmic punch yeast to biotransform the precursors from the dry hops to their thiol compounds. Still don't know though if I want to try adding the DH to high Krausen though. Feels like we are living in the Wild West these days with figuring all this out especially when a GMO yeast comes our way. I will say though that my hydrometer sample after FG and pre-soft crash was REALLY good and had strong grapefruit followed by great tropical vibe when using only Columbus and cascade hot side. So there seems to be something to this stuff IMHO.
What did your hotside schedule look like?

I tried it and still got blowoffs, some of those british strains dont give a f about antifoam hehe.
Lower ferm temps do help though
It doesn't necessarily help with blowouts during fermentation, but it's a must for big starters and boiling absurd amounts of wort in a kettle that's technically too small to do so.

Back