New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 730591View attachment 730592
60% Pilsner, 20% malted oats, 20% malted wheat 1.064-1.012

Hbc 586 and lupomax citra 1:1
4oz hot side
8oz dry hop

Verdant IPA yeast

Did all the dry hopspost fermentation in a ferm purged dry hop keg. Cold crashed several days at 40F. Transferred to dry hops for 2 days at 58F and rolled the keg around twice a day. I’m really digging this process, it’s getting me that bright hop bag effect. I forget who I should give credit to, @HopsAreGood I think.

Aroma is big sweet fruit mostly pineapple and some sweet cream. Taste is bright citrus, melon, pith and hop spice. I really liked the aroma in the bag of the 586, really sweet fruit. This combo doesn’t have any of that dank or pine depth, but I don't mind
Looks great. Is the process you mention to have the hops already in the keg that is being purged by fermentation? Thinking of doing that next brew day.

Question about dry hopping in a fermentation purged keg. I can’t fit the keg in my fermentation chamber. Is there going to be an issue with those hops sitting at 80-90 degrees (garage in Florida) for several days? Any idea how long it actually needs to be connected during fermentation to properly purge the keg? Like 20-30 points? Only add hops and purge during last bit of fermentation and move inside the house until ready for closed transfer.

Curious about how you folks carb up your hazies? Fill a keg and set it and forget it? Shake? What temp do you serve at and what volumes are you targeting. I feel like this part of my process hasn’t had a whole lot of attention paid and my brews are lacking something

Curious about how you folks carb up your hazies? Fill a keg and set it and forget it? Shake? What temp do you serve at and what volumes are you targeting. I feel like this part of my process hasn’t had a whole lot of attention paid and my brews are lacking something

I fill my kegs and then set and forget at serving pressure. There was a data sheet floating around these threads from an other half citra daydream and on it it listed that beer being carbonated to 2.42 volumes.

Burst carb. 40psi for 24hrs, tap and see where its at. usually 24-36hrs to get where I want it, then turn down to serving pressure.

Normal carb (2.5) and 38 degrees.

Question about dry hopping in a fermentation purged keg. I can’t fit the keg in my fermentation chamber. Is there going to be an issue with those hops sitting at 80-90 degrees (garage in Florida) for several days? Any idea how long it actually needs to be connected during fermentation to properly purge the keg? Like 20-30 points? Only add hops and purge during last bit of fermentation and move inside the house until ready for closed transfer.

not sure how many points you’d need, but the more you flush the more you reduce the dissolved oxygen. It probably doesn’t take much to create 5g of co2 but ideally you’d go thru 20+ to keep the flush going.

that said I wouldn’t leave them in that garage that got. Plus you might have some weird gas dynamics going on with the gas wanting to expand considerably at 80-90 compared to 65-70. Perhaps I’m just over complicating it.

personally I haven’t tried the ferm gas to flush yet. I do Star San purge with a tank, then transfer in my beer.Start flowing a few psi into the keg, pop the lid and dump my hops in. Close it up and purge severs more times. I’ve yet to have a an oxidation problem with this method. It’s also in line with the pros, at least those without fancy flush/dump contraptions.

You could keep the dry hop keg attached for the most active part of the fermentation. Points needed is discussed here:

https://www.**********************/...rging-transferring-stabilizing-finished-beer/(Google: "KEGGING WITH CARE: A GUIDE TO PURGING.")

Another option is to keep the hold in the freezer during fermentation and then ferment something else when you need your flushed dry hop keg.

33 psi for 48 hrs @ 39f. Then turn down to 12psi. Works for me

I spund which gets me maybe 1.5vols from fermentation, then I chill to move to dry hop keg, then during dry hopping I charge to 40psi, agitate the dry hops (which has the side benefit of bringing the CO2 into solution quicker), and repeat several times over the days. Once it equalises around 17psi I stop topping it up.

Just pitched this. went the rehydrating route which is what Im used to with dry yeast. did 79% S33 and 21% S05. Brew day was a little off as I ended up with more wort than anticipated (head scratcher for now) so was low on OG by 2pts. Nevertheless, I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks.
So, for the past 24 hrs saw no visual signs of fermentation so decided to take the hydro sample today (day 8) and gravity is 1.020, OG was 1.073. Definitely higher than I was hoping for, but ten minutes after I sampled for hydro, its bubbling again. This fermentation has been very odd for my liking. Took off like a rocket for 48 straight hrs then seemed to almost stall completely on day three but then started bubbling regularly at day 5 until yesterday. Nevertheless, not sure its completely done as it seems to be limping toward the finish line. But with 72% AA, not sure I will get much more out of predominately S33/S05 combo. Hydro sample tastes pretty good very peachy but sweet. My wife even said - "very sweet" lol. Fermented at 66 degrees all the way through and will bump it up a bit to try to encourage a little more. Would be pumped at this point if I could get another few points off this.

Bump it up to 70* and give the fermenter a good swirl if you can to re-suspend some of the yeast. US05 might just get pushy and get you some more attenuation.

A4E3D841-D5CA-4937-980B-9B12AC923778.jpeg

Here is my TIPA attempt using LA3. It’s come out at 9.8% and after 6 days in the keg (23 days from brew day) it’s actually pretty delicious. I had efficiency issues on brew day so I upped the dextrose to 8% of the grist and added during the tail end of fermentation.

I aerated this twice. Once pre pitch and one about 15 hours later. Fermentation went flawlessly, the best ferment I’ve ever had with LA3.

My last two beers I’ve used majority Cryo & LUPOMAX and I agree with others that without sufficient T90 additions the beers lack some depth, this one included. Nonetheless, this is still delicious and dangerously smooth. Drinks like a 7.5-8%er.

OG 1.096
FG 1.021

6:1 Citra/Columbus

Any of you guys had luck or experience with Idaho Gem? Seems like a hop that would play perfectly in a NEIPA and definitely with Citra and Mosaic? Hop description online says red cherries, but the only reviews I can find is not as cherry as you would think. I've seen dank, piney and spicy. Some pineapple and grapefruit. I'm thinking of doing a Citra Mosiac base and incorporating Idaho Gem in the dry hop.

First pour of this beer, used mosaic, citra, galaxy. One of my best brews yet, thanks for the recipe!

Nice color! how's the galaxy?I still struggle with Galaxy crop 2020 from YVH but really want to use the pound. I was thinking about only using it in the boil/WP and no galaxy in the DH.

It’s great, first time using it and not getting any off putting flavours at all. I got mine from northwest hop farms up here in Canada, 2020 year.

Nice color! how's the galaxy?I still struggle with Galaxy crop 2020 from YVH but really want to use the pound. I was thinking about only using it in the boil/WP and no galaxy in the DH.

I wouldn’t use that 2020 crop from YVH in the boil. 90% certain that is what turned 2 batches of mine into bitter phenol messes. Not 100% sure, but ymmv.

@eugles Right the hops are preloaded in the dry hop keg and the co2 from fermentation flushesit over the days of fermentation.

I think this is the link @RAID is talking about, I love this write up - it’s really important Information for us and I’m showing it to brewers all the time.
themodernbrewhouse

As far as temperature of the dry hops while your waiting for it to purge, I don’t think the difference between 70F and 80F would be significant. But that said after the bulk of fermentation has finished I move the dry hop kegback to cold fridge temps (38F) because it can only help.

edit working link

Last edited:
Sounds like I’m the only one who got great 2020 Galaxy lol both lots have been great. Not the best Galaxy I’ve ever had but still up there

Any of you guys had luck or experience with Idaho Gem? Seems like a hop that would play perfectly in a NEIPA and definitely with Citra and Mosaic? Hop description online says red cherries, but the only reviews I can find is not as cherry as you would think. I've seen dank, piney and spicy. Some pineapple and grapefruit. I'm thinking of doing a Citra Mosiac base and incorporating Idaho Gem in the dry hop.

I made a beer with Idaho 7 and Idaho Gem. Didnt get cherry, but did get the piney and spicy. Not a huge fan.

I was disappointed with the YVH Galaxy from 2020 as well. I just used it as a single hop in a IIPA and it's not great. 2019 was fantastic.

I made a beer with Idaho 7 and Idaho Gem. Didnt get cherry, but did get the piney and spicy. Not a huge fan.
Crap. Not exactly what I'm going for. Weird, because most people don't get what the hop description says. Probably going to do a split batch, and dry hop with Idaho Gem just to see.

I did an interesting comparison recently with 3 yeasts. Did a 3x5G batch of 85% pils malt /15% oat malt and pitched separate yeasts into each - S33, S04 and Verdant.

Here are the notes I took when I racked them to my dry hop kegs:

S33
fairly suflury, not really hoppy. pleasant taste, not too sweet. seemed a little more yeast or haze than s04 perhaps?
very lagery character.
S04
looks like a lot more yeast on bottom of fermenter than S33. definitely less haze for sure with S04. it has a kind of candied apple aroma and no sulfur really.
it tastes a little fruitier and a little crisper. i prefer it to the S33 for sure at this point at least.
definitely a sort of candied apple, fruity character in S04 and a crispness or maybe tartness i guess. no sulfur or lagery character really.
jenni says S04 is a little tarter, and i think that is right actually. a little bit of a sour apple character
verdant
definitely the most **** on the bottom of the fermenter and a little krausen ring at the top. has a slight sulfury aroma.
similar clarity to S04.
definitely the driest taste and much drier in reality! wow! kind of a neutral flavor. sulfur is very very light but more than S04.
a little bland
At this point I like the S04 best I think.

I did a small bittering charge and then added about 0.5 oz/gal of a blend of citra/waimea/I7/eureka! (2019 crops) in the hop stand. I was surprised at how little hop flavor there was in this from the hop stand. Maybe I'll play with adding hops at 10 minutes next time.

Interesting. I have so far only used S-04 for the NEIPAs and was planning to try the S-33 next as it is advertised to be more applicable for the style. Based on your assessment, maybe just stick with S-04.

I did an interesting comparison recently with 3 yeasts. Did a 3x5G batch of 85% pils malt /15% oat malt and pitched separate yeasts into each - S33, S04 and Verdant.

Here are the notes I took when I racked them to my dry hop kegs:

S33
fairly suflury, not really hoppy. pleasant taste, not too sweet. seemed a little more yeast or haze than s04 perhaps?
very lagery character.
S04
looks like a lot more yeast on bottom of fermenter than S33. definitely less haze for sure with S04. it has a kind of candied apple aroma and no sulfur really.
it tastes a little fruitier and a little crisper. i prefer it to the S33 for sure at this point at least.
definitely a sort of candied apple, fruity character in S04 and a crispness or maybe tartness i guess. no sulfur or lagery character really.
jenni says S04 is a little tarter, and i think that is right actually. a little bit of a sour apple character
verdant
definitely the most **** on the bottom of the fermenter and a little krausen ring at the top. has a slight sulfury aroma.
similar clarity to S04.
definitely the driest taste and much drier in reality! wow! kind of a neutral flavor. sulfur is very very light but more than S04.
a little bland
At this point I like the S04 best I think.

I did a small bittering charge and then added about 0.5 oz/gal of a blend of citra/waimea/I7/eureka! (2019 crops) in the hop stand. I was surprised at how little hop flavor there was in this from the hop stand. Maybe I'll play with adding hops at 10 minutes next time.

Any dry hops?

Interesting. I have so far only used S-04 for the NEIPAs and was planning to try the S-33 next as it is advertised to be more applicable for the style. Based on your assessment, maybe just stick with S-04.

if you can do a split batch and compare. I’d love to see what you experience. Just do a lower abv one though. The S33 seems to be a **** attenuator unless I just had an off fermentation, which is sort of unlikely i would think.

Back