New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also going to try nectaron in one of my next batches.

My lhbs recommends
WP: Nectaron, Mosaic 1:1
DH: Nectaron, Mosaic 1:1

But inspired you post I might try something like
WP: Moutere, Nectaron 2:1
DH: Nectaron

What was your ratio?
So when I did this beer, I hadn't ever brewed with either hop before so I was kinda flying solo on this and judging my hop additions based on comments (mostly nectaron) here as well as spec sheets and descriptions. I don't think I ever had even a commercial beer with nectaron yet either. Im usually pretty calculated in my choices but this combo just got me more and more excited the more I researched these hops. I just thought they'd go well together and decided to live dangerously lol. Was looking for passionfruit with peach bomb overall. So given both have listed at 1.7 total oils, I thought they might be even overall with potency - yes I know total oils don't tell the whole story but thats what I was basing it off of. I wanted moutere to provide the backbone and nectaron to bring it on home. Both hop descriptions suggest passionfruit as a strong characteristic but nectaron brings more stone fruit/peach. So overall, nectaron:moutere was just under a 2:1 ratio, but as you can see in my schedule I used more moutere hot side and then flipped it to hammer the nectaron in DH. The hydrometer sample (pre soft crash and pre-dry hop was amazingly smooth fruity goodness with a nice pronounced bitterness (grapefruit bitterness primarily). IMO - neither of these NZ hops are over the top in terms of NZ diesel/peppery/etc. You do get some of it, but its in the background and not distracting from the fruit bomb that it is. FWIW - I whirlpool at one temp (155 target) so Im probably not doing anything special by breaking WP additions into 15minute increments other than affecting the IBUs in the whirlpool by like 1-2 IBUs lol. But this is how Ive been approaching the WP and I enjoy building a nice hot side profile, so I don't skimp on the WP. It really is a great hop combo. Hope this helps! BTW - I used A24 yeast with this beer as well.

EDIT: just realized my DH days are a little off. I started cold crashing 24 hrs after the second dry hop and kegged it 4 days after the first dry hop. So hops were in the beer a little longer than my table suggests.

1611704851215.png

Just want to ask, is there anyone besides me that got solid Galaxy from YVH this year? I did order mine back in July in their first release of Galaxy, all in 2 oz packs. If you got solid Galaxy YVH, could you please post what your AA on your packs were.

I’ve used AA 17.7 so far and it’s solid Galaxy, with true character (Not like, HOLY **** BEST GALAXY EVER, but true to variety character)

***edit*********

Actually post the crop year and AA and let us know if they were good or not. I think that will be a good reference for all of us

Last edited:
I'll have to check mine. I remember getting some during their flash sale and I used it last summer...beer came out great and it smelled awesome. I did was to say that I got some Citra from Hopsteiner and holy ****, what a difference in aroma and flavor.

Just want to ask, is there anyone besides me that got solid Galaxy from YVH this year? I did order mine back in July in their first release of Galaxy, all in 2 oz packs. If you got solid Galaxy YVH, could you please post what your AA on your packs were.

I’ve used AA 17.7 so far and it’s solid Galaxy, with true character (Not like, HOLY **** BEST GALAXY EVER)
OK so yes, after following this thread over the past few days of peeps experiences with Galaxy recently, Ive been quietly FREAKING OUT! lol because Ive got a riwaka, nelson, galaxy Ive been dry hopping. The Nelson 2020 smelled great and potent, so to ensure that I get the passionfruit that I love from galaxy and not just the white wine and diesel from nelson, I decided to favor galaxy over nelson in the DH despite galaxy's total oils being pretty high. DH 1 = 2.5oz of nelson: 1.5oz galaxy: DH 2= 4.0oz galaxy. I smelt the galaxy and they smelled good, perhaps not super GLORIOUS, but definitely good smack you in the face out of the bag. FWIW, for my 2nd DH, I grabbed two bags of 2oz out of the freezer and noticed they were from different lots/batches. I said screw it and opened them both and they smelt the same to me. Overall Ive been pretty happy with Galaxy 2020. Im kegging this tomorrow as its been cold crashing for a bit now, so I'll let y'all know how it tastes/smells.

IMG_9206.jpg

I should point out that the recent bad experience that I described was not from 2020 Galaxy hops. It was a pound of YVH 2019 Galaxy (AA 12.9%) . However, the hops were stored in the freezer in the unopened vacuum sealed bag that they came in until I used them.

I should point out that the recent bad experience that I described was not from 2020 Galaxy hops. It was a pound of YVH 2019 Galaxy (AA 12.9%) . However, the hops were stored in the freezer in the unopened vacuum sealed bag that they came in until I used them.
I bought a pound of 2019 Galaxy from YVH some time in 2019 but I can't find my e-receipt so I'm not sure exactly when I bought it. Also AA 12.9. I've used them in three different IPAs and they all came out fine.

For those in the UK and/or able to ship easily from the UK (ie virtually nobody at the moment...), Malt Miller have always been the first to get their hands on new hop products, they're now promising "soon" the Spectrum liquid extract for "dry" hopping, which is so new I can't find any mention on the BH website...

Edit - Just noticed that it's manufactured by BarthHaas UK - but there's no mention on the Simply Hops website, which is their UK sales division.

For those in the UK and/or able to ship easily from the UK (ie virtually nobody at the moment...), Malt Miller have always been the first to get their hands on new hop products, they're now promising "soon" the Spectrum liquid extract for "dry" hopping, which is so new I can't find any mention on the BH website...

Edit - Just noticed that it's manufactured by BarthHaas UK - but there's no mention on the Simply Hops website, which is their UK sales division.

Nice one, if it delivers the same profile as pellets this will be a game changer.
Havent been too happy with all the different hop extracts meant for dry hopping yet.

My 2020 Galaxy is 13.9%, will report back on it soon.

Has anyone purchased hops from eBay store 'hausotterted'? They still only have 2019 but it seems like they come straight from the supplier. YVH used to have good fruity Simcoe in 2018, but 2019 and 2020 were 100% dank, so I'm exploring other options. It'd be great to get some from Bell's hop store too, but they're all out already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Hops-Simcoe-Hops-pellet-or-whole/173793073912

15.6% AA on my 2020 Galaxy. The fact that the AA is all over the place might be telling in terms of consistency. At first I couldn't understand why the LUPOMax product consistency was being touted; now I think I get it.

I’ve used AA 17.7 so far and it’s solid Galaxy, with true character (Not like, HOLY **** BEST GALAXY EVER, but true to variety character)

***edit*********

Actually post the crop year and AA and let us know if they were good or not. I think that will be a good reference for all of us
My bad batch is 17.7AA too. Bought it in a half pound bag. It was terrible. From what I remember we got them pretty much around the same time. I easily got them within a week or two of Yakima selling them as I was holding off making an order to get Galaxy. When I emailed them I asked have their been any complaints about the 2020 batch and they said feedback has been positive. The free pound they sent is 15.9AA which was only a few weeks after my initial order.

Don't know if it's relevant but my order takes about 2 weeks to arrive as I live in Ireland so I have to use a parcel forwarding service based in New Jersey that was set up by the Irish postal service. Maybe traveling all that distance during summer heat isn't the best for hops.

My 2020 Galaxy is 13.9%, will report back on it soon.

Has anyone purchased hops from eBay store 'hausotterted'? They still only have 2019 but it seems like they come straight from the supplier. YVH used to have good fruity Simcoe in 2018, but 2019 and 2020 were 100% dank, so I'm exploring other options. It'd be great to get some from Bell's hop store too, but they're all out already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Hops-Simcoe-Hops-pellet-or-whole/173793073912

I believe the seller is called Hop Heaven. There are several hits searching that name on HBT.

I will just stop using galaxy from now on. And stop recommending it to others. The quality is not consistent enough. And when they are bad they will ruin your batch.
There are so many other nice hops out there.

my lhbs carries galaxy from BSG and i have used them with no issue, most recent was about a month ago. i dont currently have any packs to check the AA but I plan to use them again soon, as i have had great results and really enjoyed the last neipa i used them in. this isnt exactly apples to apples with YVH but thought i would share my experience.

I believe the seller is called Hop Heaven. There are several hits searching that name on HBT.

Good call, I was able to find a TON of positive feedback about the seller. Even found a couchsending vouch for their Strata, ha!
Here's some interesting info:

The best quality I've ever found, and my go-to now, is Ted Hausotter, who sells on Ebay, aka Hop Heaven Inc. I know, Ebay? The guy personally selects his bales direct from the growers, does his own pelletizing, has complete quality control. Sells quantities from 8 oz, whole and pellets. His hops are green, sticky, smelly, and wonderful, you never knew what fresh hops were supposed to be if you haven't tried these. Great pricing and superb shipping too. Just be patient as he gets each year's new crop up on the web store.

Going to order some Citra, Simcoe and report back in a few months.

Edit: Ted just told me that 2020 crop is shipping out now, he'll get the listing updated in the next day or so.

Last edited:
My bad batch is 17.7AA too. Bought it in a half pound bag. It was terrible. From what I remember we got them pretty much around the same time. I easily got them within a week or two of Yakima selling them as I was holding off making an order to get Galaxy. When I emailed them I asked have their been any complaints about the 2020 batch and they said feedback has been positive. The free pound they sent is 15.9AA which was only a few weeks after my initial order.

Don't know if it's relevant but my order takes about 2 weeks to arrive as I live in Ireland so I have to use a parcel forwarding service based in New Jersey that was set up by the Irish postal service. Maybe traveling all that distance during summer heat isn't the best for hops.
I also get my Galaxy from far. I just opened my 1kg bag from 2019 with 15.9%aa. It smells amazing, no diesel, just pure passionfruit.
I think we are better off sharing specific lot nrs then going by the AA data.
Does everyone here have the lot nrs on their orders? If so please share.
Mine was VU046.

I think this kind of data deserves its own topic and as a matter of fact I started one on this topic a while back.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/the-mystery-of-galaxy-hops-and-harshness.661339/

I will just stop using galaxy from now on. And stop recommending it to others. The quality is not consistent enough. And when they are bad they will ruin your batch.
There are so many other nice hops out there.
Were you brewing when Citra and mosiac were throwing cat piss consistently? This too will end when the farmers newer to growing Galaxy become more familiar with harvesting time.

I will say I have never had hops smell good out of the bag and produce a bad beer. So I would suggest smell your hops. Rub a few pellets in your hand. If they smell good, use them. If they don’t chuck them

Last edited:
Just thought I'd report back on this given the seemingly inconsistent Galaxy findings of late. I just kegged this today: Columbus for 60min boil & 10minboil, Riwaka (10min boil & WP), Nelson (mostly all DH), and Galaxy (WP and DH) and given the convos here was admittedly a little nervous.

Sampling this now, there is no hopburn or harshness whatsoever! Pure passionfruit goodness at the front with the white wine that I love. Diesel notes are held in check but present in the background which I wanted. I ended up going with 2.5oz Nelson + 1.5oz Galaxy for DH1, and DH2 = 4.0oz of galaxy. Super pumped for this one!!! Picture lighting not greatest as its a little more yellowish than the pic shows.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_9235.jpg
    IMG_9235.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 57
@Dgallo , I completely agree with you now regarding Nelson 2020. going 2.5oz Nelson in first dry hop and galaxy the rest of the way (5.5oz total) and I’m still tasting the Nelson coming through? Unreal potent. Cheers!

@Dgallo , I completely agree with you now regarding Nelson 2020. going 2.5oz Nelson in first dry hop and galaxy the rest of the way (5.5oz total) and I’m still tasting the Nelson coming through? Unreal potent. Cheers!
I’m glad you had a similar experience to me. I was beginning to think I was just extremely lucky getting solid quality Galaxy and Nelson.

Glad you’re liking the combo to. It goes together really well in my opinion

Last edited:
@Dgallo would you be able to take a look at this recipe for me epically with the hopping rates. Following on for our conversation the other day it looks like you were totally right about my hopping rates being way too high. I got beers to some friends and the all said the vegetal taste was over the top and totally killing all the hop flavor. Want to brew a dipa with Citra and Nelson and keep the dry hop rates to 10 oz, I'll go to the upper limit of your recommendation unless you think this is too high also

I wasn't a fan of Nelson until recently when I really started liking some Citra/Nelson beers, especially some by Verdant. So probably going to go with a 60/40 split with going higher on the Citra until I see where I am with Nelson Going to mix up my usual grain bill this time by going higher with wheat to see how it works

Crisp extra pale - 63%
Wheat malt - 18%
Oat malt - 8%
Dextrose - 4.5%
Flaked wheat - 4%
Honey Malt - 2.5%

OG - 1.075
Magnum 8g FWH
Citra 2oz whirlpool @167 for 30 minutes
Nelson 2oz whirlpool @167 for 30 minutes

Citra dry hop 6oz
Nelson dry hop 4oz
Will split the dry hop into two aditions.

Any advice on this would be great especially since I'm not familiar with Nelson and really don't want it to dominate.

@Dgallo would you be able to take a look at this recipe for me epically with the hopping rates. Following on for our conversation the other day it looks like you were totally right about my hopping rates being way too high. I got beers to some friends and the all said the vegetal taste was over the top and totally killing all the hop flavor. Want to brew a dipa with Citra and Nelson and keep the dry hop rates to 10 oz, I'll go to the upper limit of your recommendation unless you think this is too high also

I wasn't a fan of Nelson until recently when I really started liking some Citra/Nelson beers, especially some by Verdant. So probably going to go with a 60/40 split with going higher on the Citra until I see where I am with Nelson Going to mix up my usual grain bill this time by going higher with wheat to see how it works

Crisp extra pale - 63%
Wheat malt - 18%
Oat malt - 8%
Dextrose - 4.5%
Flaked wheat - 4%
Honey Malt - 2.5%

OG - 1.075
Magnum 8g FWH
Citra 2oz whirlpool @167 for 30 minutes
Nelson 2oz whirlpool @167 for 30 minutes

Citra dry hop 6oz
Nelson dry hop 4oz
Will split the dry hop into two aditions.

Any advice on this would be great especially since I'm not familiar with Nelson and really don't want it to dominate.
I don’t see anything wrong with that hop schedule at all. It’s slightly more elevated than I would for the og but it will work. You’ll have a better idea of the final ratio once you open the bags of hops. If Nelson smells really strong in comparison to your Citra, cut it back 1-2oz and replace it with Citra. If you think they both seem similar in intensity, keep it the same.

I don’t see anything wrong with that hop schedule at all. It’s slightly more elevated than I would for the og but it will work. You’ll have a better idea of the final ratio once you open the bags of hops. If Nelson smells really strong in comparison to your Citra, cut it back 1-2oz and replace it with Citra. If you think they both seem similar in intensity, keep it the same.
Thanks for that Dgallo. Would you dial the dry hop closer to ther 8oz mark for the gravity. Forgot to mention but its around 6G into the fermenter and hopefully finish with just under 5G in the serving keg. My losses shouldn't be as bad now with less hops so I might actually get a full keg. Not sure yet where I'm going to get the hops, can't really justify a big Yakima order and I know the local supplier to me sells **** hops and are so expensive. A half pound of Nelson on Yakima is $15.25 I'm paying the equivalent of $24 and won't be anywhere near as good.

Simcoe/Mosaic/CTZ NEIPA update:

1611954875054.jpeg

14 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Columbus 0 min
1 oz Columbus whirlpool (185 for 15 min)
1 oz Mosaic whirlpool (185 for 15 min)
2 oz Columbus whirlpool (165 for 15 min)
1 oz Mosaic whirlpool (165 for 15 min)
4 oz Simcoe dry hop
4 oz Mosaic dry hop

Imperial Juice Gen 1

75:150 sulfate:chloride

O.G. = 1.061
F.G. = 1.011
ABV = 6.6%

Aroma is pineapple, pine, some sweet berry. Flavor is more pineapple, pine, peach, and a bit of earthiness on the finish. Slightly more bitter than usual, probably from the CTZ. Pretty good overall, although the pine flavor is not my favorite for this style... I think I'll mostly leave the Simcoe for my west coast IPA's in the future.

View attachment 716345

14 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Columbus 0 min
4 oz Simcoe dry hop
4 oz Mosaic dry hop

Imperial Juice Gen 1

O.G. = 1.061
F.G. = 1.011
ABV = 6.6%

Aroma is pineapple, pine, some sweet berry. Flavor is more pineapple, pine, peach, and a bit of earthiness on the finish. Slightly more bitter than usual, probably from the CTZ. Pretty good overall, although the pine flavor is not my favorite for this style... I think I'll mostly leave the Simcoe for my west coast IPA's in the future.
Looks good though! Just curious as to your thoughts, why'd you choose to use simcoe only in the DH and not in WP as well?

View attachment 716345

14 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Columbus 0 min
4 oz Simcoe dry hop
4 oz Mosaic dry hop

Imperial Juice Gen 1

O.G. = 1.061
F.G. = 1.011
ABV = 6.6%

Curious how dank this ended up being? Last time I used that much Columbus in a NEIPA it was crazy dank and overpowered all the fruit notes

Hi guys. I've really enjoyed reading the whole forum and especially this thread. Just ordered bunch of hops from YVH including Citra, Mosaic & BRU-1 (all Lupomax) and some Strata hops. Never brewed with Lupomax and Strata so I would need some advice how to use these ones. I have no idea how to implement Lupomax & Starta hops into the mix. Looking for pineapple forward aroma & taste with tropical fruit/citrus backbone.

So I was thinking to go with some Citra Lupomax & Strata in WP and do BRU-1 Lupomax dryhop. Bit of Columbus or Magnum as FWH to pull some IBUs and no boil hops. Does BRU-1 and Strata play well together? Any advice with the amount of Lupomax in WP & DH to achive my aroma & taste goal? My original plan was to dry hop with Citra & Strata but I read that dry hopping with Strata might give you some dank & cannabis vibes which I'm not looking for in this brew. Any other hop combo you would suggest? I have bunch of other hops in stock but I guess I'm too exited to use Lupomax and Strata for the first time :mischievous: Just looking for advice since I have no previous experience with these hops. Thanks & cheers!

I wouldn’t say there’s a direct correlation between high hop rates and vegetal flavors. There’s many factors at play. A lot of heavily hopped beers don’t have that flavor.
I do want to make it clear to you and others that dryhop at higher rates than myself that I am certainly not hating on you or claiming you guys have not been successful at higher dryhoping rates or don’t make solid beer. (I’ve interacted with you enough and read enough of your post here and on other platforms that I know you know the style). I am just speaking from my experience and I have never been successful pulling off specific character with high oz/gal Dh rates. When getting into the the 2.5+ oz/gal range I would get elevated hop character, but the profiles of the specific hops I was using would get lost and jumbled, and not show themselves. Which for me is a problem since I do not want a beer that simply taste like a lot of hops—I chose specific hops so that I pick up on their unique character. If you’ve ever had beer from HF you know exactly what I mean.

If you or others are having success pulling varietal specific character out with higher Dh loads, than I am very jealous I am unable to do so.

Last edited:
Got a shipment of Citra and Mosaic hops from Bell's. Used them today in the whirlpool. I brew 3 gallon batches and added 3oz. total of hops in the whirlpool. Breakdown was 2oz. Citra and 1oz. Mosaic. When I opened the bags, I was taken aback. I hadn't smelled hops so pungent in a long time, and I usually buy from YVH. I rubbed a few pellets of each in my hand and the aroma exploded. Also left a sticky residue on my hands even after washing. I'll see how this one turns out and report back. Any advice on what ratios and how much to dry hop with? I want to use both Citra and Mosaic.

Got a shipment of Citra and Mosaic hops from Bell's. Used them today in the whirlpool. I brew 3 gallon batches and added 3oz. total of hops in the whirlpool. Breakdown was 2oz. Citra and 1oz. Mosaic. When I opened the bags, I was taken aback. I hadn't smelled hops so pungent in a long time, and I usually buy from YVH. I rubbed a few pellets of each in my hand and the aroma exploded. Also left a sticky residue on my hands even after washing. I'll see how this one turns out and report back. Any advice on what ratios and how much to dry hop with? I want to use both Citra and Mosaic.
6oz total dh favoring citra. Mosaic can take over easily.

I wouldn’t say there’s a direct correlation between high hop rates and vegetal flavors. There’s many factors at play. A lot of heavily hopped beers don’t have that flavor.
Would you be able to elaborate on the other factor's at play, I'm at a loss why my heavily hopped beers lack hop aroma and flavor but definitely have a harshness the I would class as vegetal.

throw out the 2019. I just opened a 2019 galaxy that was amazing in 2019 but it tastes awful when i used it in my last beer. I smelled it when i opened it and thought it smelled mediocre but went ahead anyway. Big mistake

Would you be able to elaborate on the other factor's at play, I'm at a loss why my heavily hopped beers lack hop aroma and flavor but definitely have a harshness the I would class as vegetal.
Ive settled on a nice cold side process that Ive gotten good at with it being closed (fermonster modified, etc), get a good soft crash (I hold it to 50 for 36hrs), DH at ~60 +/- a degree, and then do my 2 DHs. for me, I had a couple brews a while back that when using my standard 6-8oz total of DHs, I was still getting a sharpness, maybe a little harsh which muted the hop profile. But then it hit me. Those beers I got that sharpness more than usual also got much more trub in the fermenter than the others that didn't. Since I let hops free roam in the kettle, my "trub" into the fermenter included hops as well. So now I let my boil kettle settle for a while and I get a ton less trub into the fermenter and the sharpness is gone and the hops shine. Don't get me wrong, I don't think some trub into the fermenter is a bad thing at all, but those beers Im referring to had too much to the point that I took a big loss into the keg. So now that I minimize trub in the fermenter with my process, the hops are brighter and they drink VERY well. The last beer I posted here (Columbus/Riwaka/Nelson/Galaxy) is 7.5% ABV and had 8oz in DH and it is very clean and quite tasty on kegging day. No harshness whatsoever. Perhaps too much trub is your issue?

Ive settled on a nice cold side process that Ive gotten good at with it being closed (fermonster modified, etc), get a good soft crash (I hold it to 50 for 36hrs), DH at ~60 +/- a degree, and then do my 2 DHs. for me, I had a couple brews a while back that when using my standard 6-8oz total of DHs, I was still getting a sharpness, maybe a little harsh which muted the hop profile. But then it hit me. Those beers I got that sharpness more than usual also got much more trub in the fermenter than the others that didn't. Since I let hops free roam in the kettle, my "trub" into the fermenter included hops as well. So now I let my boil kettle settle for a while and I get a ton less trub into the fermenter and the sharpness is gone and the hops shine. Don't get me wrong, I don't think some trub into the fermenter is a bad thing at all, but those beers Im referring to had too much to the point that I took a big loss into the keg. So now that I minimize trub in the fermenter with my process, the hops are brighter and they drink VERY well. The last beer I posted here (Columbus/Riwaka/Nelson/Galaxy) is 7.5% ABV and had 8oz in DH and it is very clean and quite tasty on kegging day. No harshness whatsoever. Perhaps too much trub is your issue?
Trub could be an issue alright. I have a grainfather and try to get as much in to the fermenter as possible. When transferring I have a hop spider hooked onto my fermenter and run the hose into it. This seems to catch a lot of stuff but I sure some undesirables still get through. I was really happy with my beers up until around a year ago, people in my club highly rated them so not just me being deluded about my beers. I used to dry hop using hop spiders but changed around a year ago to all loose and this is when I started noticing the issues. So maybe I was getting terrible extraction from the hops this way and the vegetal aspect wasn't as noticeable. I do complete oxygen free transfers. My fermenter is a SS Brewtec bucket with gas post tri clamp and dry hop in a keg, so no oxygen.

I'm going to try the 8-10oz rate next time too see, if it works its going to be win win, less money on hops and more beer into the keg. If I don't like where the beer is at I can always add some to the serving keg. I'll also keep an eye on my trub going into the fermenter.

Trub could be an issue alright. I have a grainfather and try to get as much in to the fermenter as possible. When transferring I have a hop spider hooked onto my fermenter and run the hose into it. This seems to catch a lot of stuff but I sure some undesirables still get through. I was really happy with my beers up until around a year ago, people in my club highly rated them so not just me being deluded about my beers. I used to dry hop using hop spiders but changed around a year ago to all loose and this is when I started noticing the issues. So maybe I was getting terrible extraction from the hops this way and the vegetal aspect wasn't as noticeable. I do complete oxygen free transfers. My fermenter is a SS Brewtec bucket with gas post tri clamp and dry hop in a keg, so no oxygen.

I'm going to try the 8-10oz rate next time too see, if it works its going to be win win, less money on hops and more beer into the keg. If I don't like where the beer is at I can always add some to the serving keg. I'll also keep an eye on my trub going into the fermenter.
I have the anvil foundry so I understand what you are dealing with with the GF I think. Rather than use a hop spider in the kettle, I let them roam free, but it does cost me more in losses in the kettle. For beers with ~6oz in the hot side, I plan on leaving a full gallon of stuff behind. Hurts my BH efficiency but honestly I don't care lol.

Back