New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So decided I'm going with bottled water.
Could anyone please help and tell me what additions I need to make the water profile like the recipe. Thx

CalcIum 47
Mag 14
Pot 3
Sod 89
Bicarbonate 301
Chloe 76
Sulphate 18
Nitr 18
Ph 7.5

Thx

Bru'n Water is not difficult if you read the intro info and play around a bit.

Folks who are dry hopping during primary, how are you getting your hops to sink below the 2-3" of thick krausen?
I let them sink naturally, usually a week and they will fall eventually. If not, cold crashing works everytime.

Do yourself a favor and go read the water science threads. Like many have ALREADY mentioned just start with RO water. I don't get why your so against that! Those numbers are not for RO water or if those are the numbers your shooting for your way off. I'm all for helping but you cant help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

His handle is braindead ...

RO water is cheap and less variable. Seems like a no brainer

Sorted it with great help from Brau.
We don't have RO available like you guys in the States.

Thanks guys

Question. I've been following this thread a bit and I think some were touching on it but has anyone experimented without using whirlpool hops. Hop bursting towards the end of boil, chilling, and a big dry hop?

Question. I've been following this thread a bit and I think some were touching on it but has anyone experimented without using whirlpool hops. Hop bursting towards the end of boil, chilling, and a big dry hop?

Yeah I've gone back and forth between big whirlpools and just chilling after a FO addition just because I can save ~30 mins by not having to whirlpool. I can't tell too much of a difference to be honest. I think a big dry hop matters more. Even dry hopping during primary seems suspect to me, but I'm all for experimenting.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495560353.354970.jpg

Here is a picture of my first attempt of a NE IPA with the WY1318 yeast.

NE_IPA-OYL-052.jpg

Here is a picture of the same brew but fermented with OYL-052 (Conan strain).

Turned out pretty good but a little too bitter for the style.

Last edited:

I think many of us have experimented with all of the combinations. I've done dryhop only, dryhop with anywhere from 15-90 minute hop stand, dryhop with hop burst, dry hop with hopburst and hop stand. The only thing I've never tried is omitting a dryhop (seems like a terrible idea :) )

I am honestly still unsure what is "best":
-I have a suspicion that bittering or hopburst hops may increase head retention (sounds crazy, but it may be the case based on some of my observations.)
-I would bet that the difference between a hop burst and a short hopstand would be minor, similar to the XBMT result, for most people.
-I know that both hopbursts and hop stands can result in excellent, full hop flavor, but I think there is much more bang for the buck from dry hops. However, heavy dry hops *can* result in more astringency and dryness that usually mellows with time.
-I also am curious to see if my initial observation on beer clarity and lasting hop flavor is true: it has seemed to me over the last several beers that my massive dryhop only beers stay cloudier and hoppier for longer in the keg compared with beers that have any type of kettle hop. Not sure if it is a real effect or coincidence though. My best IPAs in terms of longevity have been the dryhop only ones.
-In the short term, any combination of these techniques should result in an awesome beer.

I guess that's not very helpful, but I really think to answer what gives the best flavor and the best flavor for the price would require a lot more experimentation. There have only been a few attempts to understand this as far as I know: the Rock Bottom tests, the Brulosophy tests and a few sporadic tests you can find online if you search enough. If I were to guess right now, I'd guess that the Rock Bottom tests were the most reliable but they were only in one recipe as far as I remember, so that could change depending a lot of variables. The Rock Bottom results seemed to indicate that the hoppiest beers were ones that had a long hop stand and a dry hop.

Even if we can finally fully understand this, it has become apparent to me from personal experience and reading the Brulosophy XBMTs that people have very different tastes with regard to hoppy beers. Some people prefer a less hoppy, aggressive dryhop character, some love it. Some people just like less hop flavor but still a threshold amount. So, we will still all use different techniques and amounts even if we do figure out what gives the absolute most hop flavor for the longest time in a beer!

Has anyone tried using any of the strains of Brett that are available in this beer? I am intrigued by the Omega Labs YL-210 "Where Da Funk" strain. It says there is a Colorado brewery strain in it, which seems like it must be the Crooked Stave Brett strain that Chad talks about being very low on the barnyard, horse blanket, smoke character and high on the fruit character. My only worry is that the lack of glycerol production might make the beer thin, but it IS a blend of Sacc and Brett in YL-210, so maybe it would work out.

I've used the Omega "Where Da Funk" in a similar recipe. It was nice but the beer dried out to 1.006. Once the hops started fading, the dryness started coming through a bit harsh. Had about 16% flaked grains and aimed for mash temp 156F (though I lost about 4 degrees during the mash). I guess I would use with caution or drink it quickly before the hops fade.

OMG, I just tried my newest version of this style and it is sooooooo good! Used a little Munich and honey malt to go with my 2 row and white wheat. The focal point is 8 oz of ekuanot with 4 mosaic, 2 galaxy and 2 Columbus for bittering. So citrusy and sweet. The taste leaves kind of a tart aftertaste like you just ate a sweet tart. 7.1% and not a hint of alcohol taste. Truly amazing beer! Cheers.

OMG, I just tried my newest version of this style and it is sooooooo good! Used a little Munich and honey malt to go with my 2 row and white wheat. The focal point is 8 oz of ekuanot with 4 mosaic, 2 galaxy and 2 Columbus for bittering. So citrusy and sweet. The taste leaves kind of a tart aftertaste like you just ate a sweet tart. 7.1% and not a hint of alcohol taste. Truly amazing beer! Cheers.

cool, i need to use up some Ekuanot

cool, i need to use up some Ekuanot

I have never even tried it before, but after tasting this, I just ordered 5 more pounds! Will be brewing a 10 gallon batch as soon as it arrives.

His handle is braindead ...

RO water is cheap and less variable. Seems like a no brainer

Not always. RO water is pretty spendy where I live. (About a dollar a liter, and there's a limit on how much you can buy each day. Only one place I know if sells it)

Not always. RO water is pretty spendy where I live. (About a dollar a liter, and there's a limit on how much you can buy each day.

Damn, we can get it at walmart. 33 cents a gallon. Quite a good deal.

Distilled is usually only about $0.89 a gallon, occasionally cheaper. That's what I use, usually in about a 50/50 dilution with my tap water for pale styles (using BruNWater). My only beef is all the leftover plastic jugs. Even recycling them, I still don't like the waste. I wish I could refill them.

Damn, we can get it at walmart. 33 cents a gallon. Quite a good deal.

Where I live the Prime RO water is $1.05 a gallon. The cheapest is distilled at .79 a gallon. I am jealous of all you with <.50 RO water readily available.

$3.50 for ten gallons of RO water for me. I bought two 5 gallon jugs and refill them every brew day. Have a couple left over gallons that my dog gets LOL

Where I live the Prime RO water is $1.05 a gallon. The cheapest is distilled at .79 a gallon. I am jealous of all you with <.50 RO water readily available.

I can get RO water filled at Wegmans or Walmart in Canandaigua for roughly 0.35/gallon. Where are you finding your prices?

I have 12 one gallon jugs in two boxes. I purchased Poland Springs water from BJs a while back and reuse them for my RO water needs for brewing. It came in a box with six jugs (1 gallon each).

I can get RO water filled at Wegmans or Walmart in Canandaigua for roughly 0.35/gallon. Where are you finding your prices?

I am near Warsaw and the Tops and Walmart don't have the RO refill stations.

I will check at the Wegmans in Geneseo.

Are they refill stations?

I am near Warsaw and the Tops and Walmart don't have the RO refill stations.

I will check at the Wegmans in Geneseo.

Are they refill stations?

I've seen them at a couple of Wegmans so I'm sure the one in Geneseo has a refill station too.

I found out it has to be a "Super" Walmart otherwise they won't have the refill station. Such as the one in Victor. I haven't seen the RO refill stations at at Tops.

Good luck!

I did this exact same recipe 3 weeks ago. Kegged it last Saturday and I must say that this is my best recipe for an NEIPA.
I went with 113 Sulfate and 171 Chloride. My next water profile will be the one from your updated post:

Ca = 100
Mg = 5
Na = 13
Sulfate = 147
Chloride = 80
Bicarbonate = 16

Look at this wonderful perfect color.

tjjyh1h.jpg

Cheers and thanks for the recipe.

How would citra - el dorado - equinox would play out in a neipa? I've done citra - amarillo and it was delicious, now I have el dorado and equinox available too so I want to test a combination of those hops.

How would citra - el dorado - equinox would play out in a neipa? I've done citra - amarillo and it was delicious, now I have el dorado and equinox available too so I want to test a combination of those hops.

I was about to get a pound of citra when it was cheap at Yakima Valley Hops yesterday, but I missed the boat. So I've got 1/2lb each of El Dorado and Amarillo on the way. I already have 1/2lb of Simcoe and 4oz of CTZ around.

So I'm interested in what combos to try with some mix of these as well. I'm thinking of some mix of El Dorado, Amarillo and Simcoe.

As an aside, maybe a new thread for just NEIPA hop combos in the Recipes subforum would be useful?

EDIT TO ADD: Ah, maybe this is the thread I'm looking for?

Sorted it with great help from Brau.
We don't have RO available like you guys in the States.

Thanks guys

braindead, your tap water is pretty close to RO, and is very soft and low in minerals. There's absolutely no need for bottled water. Just treat your water for chlorine, and add CaCl and CaSO4 (gypsum) to get to the 100-150 ppm range or your targets for each of chloride and sulfate.

Galaxy, Denali and Citra @ 15,5,and FO
Vic Secret, Denali and Citra WP and DH
Fermented w/Omega Hothead
Turned very good!

Back