Normal to have settling in the bottom of the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
I'm still finishing up my first ever cider, and I'm in the carbonating stage. I've got the stuff in bottles, and it's been over a week (realized my temps were wrong to promote carbonating, but I fixed that). I just cracked one open to check it (couldn't resist) and it gave a nice pffft! when it opened (still needs a few more days, at least), but I'm noticing a thin layer of what I think is dead yeast in the bottom of the bottles. If I give the bottles a little shake this layer gets stirred up in a fine vaporous whirlwind mixed with what looks like small solid flaky pieces. I'm wondering if this is normal (I think it is), or if I screwed up somehow. Is it okay to drink this stuff? It tastes good, but is it just standard to leave a tiny bit in the bottom of the bottle after drinking to prevent getting this silty stuff? It's settling in small lumps in the bottom, it almost seems reminiscent of mold spores in dots layering the bottom of the bottle. Do I need to be worried? Thanks!

It's just the yeast. I used cider yeast for the first time last month and the flocculation looked different than ale yeast. Kind of how you described.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts tasting wrong.

And for the record (and coming from a major lightweight) I've had half of a 12oz bottle and I'm feeling pretty warm and fuzzy. I wonder if that makes a difference with how freakin long it's been taking to carbonate....I don't know the alcohol content, but I know it usually takes at least 2 Smirnoff Ice's to get me here. Like I said, MAJOR lightweight. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Back