Norcal Brewing Solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isurf

Reaction score
Credit where credit is due. I placed an order to Norcal Brewing Solutions for a 15" false bottom, stainless dip tube and weldless stainless valve. The order was shipped within 3 days (not expidited) However when I assembled eveything the dip tube was short at the compression fitting to the valve. I e-mailed Norcal told them my problem. Jay, a memeber of the Norcal team help me out. All he ask me to do was measure the original tube and tell him how long the replacement tube needed to be. 3 days later the new tube arrived, free of charge no questions ask!

That my friends is customer service!

Jeff

Not that long ago I had a chance to purchase a 1/2 bbl keg from a local person (Craigslist score)... When thinking about what to do with it, mash tun came to mind. Knowing that I had options, but also hearing about Jaybird's false bottoms, I reached out to Jaybird to find out what I would need to do the job. I got the parts listing, placed the order, and waited (with baited breath for it to arrive).

In the mean time I lined up with a person from where I'm working who has an air powered right angle grinder. I also picked up a cobalt step bit to drill the holes. Thankfully, USPS delivered before the scheduled keg cutting/drilling (and then brewing) day. So the conversion went forward.

My only hiccup with this was it was my first keg conversion, and the person helping me also had not done one before. Being smart people, we were able to figure most of it out. Using logic, I placed the diptube in the bottom, to set the valve height. Unfortunately, for me, I had some issues with the tube not staying in the compression fitting during the brew session that evening. I see now that it was installer error that caused this.

Not knowing that, at the time, I reached out to NorCal/Jaybird for help. On Sunday, I had an email reply from them with promise of a call from Jay the following day (he was on vacation).

Jay called me on Monday (morning PST) and explained to me how the dip tube should be assembled, which gave me face-palm. Due to my experiences Jay, and his business partner, have put together an instruction sheet to go with their kits (false bottoms and dip tubes). Seeing it explained and with the pictures put it all together for me. Thankfully, the holes I drilled are still in the correct [enough] places, and I've completed the correct assembly of the dip tube configuration. Looking at the completed mash tun keg, it's a thing of beauty. Once I've cleaned up the outside some, it's going into my gallery (HBT). Shots are planned both before and after wrapping it with Reflectix. :rockin:

I'm looking forward to using the mash tun for my next batch (in a few weeks, I hope) and already plan on ordering the parts to convert my next keg into either a HLT or boil keggle. Knowing that they take feedback seriously, and go those few extra steps to help out their customers speaks volumes to me. It makes it so that I'll do business with them again. They've also made it onto the "favored vendor" list.

So, if you're thinking about doing a conversion, talk with the folks at NorCal or Jaybird on HBT. Not only will he/they help you to get the correct hardware, but they'll make SURE you're satisfied with the purchase and results you get from their products. These days, it seems to be very rare that you find a company that is willing to take any steps, post purchase, to make sure things are correct. Especially if they're installer error based.

Golddiggie
Hay man thanks for such great feedback! It was a total pleasure to work with you too. I am glad we had the opportunity to solve the problems and get your system up and running. Its feedback like this that keeps my little business alive. So for that I thank you!
Because of your experience with us, We are adding the instructions to our website. Should be up sometime tonight. Also if I can get my SWMBO to act as our "web talent actress" we are going to also shoot a few videos of the install process as well, and get those posted. I would do it myself but she is so much nicer to look at than me :D
I look forward to working with you again!
Cheers
Jay

Pictures of the mash tun keg...

Taken tonight, once properly assembled:
4720-mash-tun-keg-outside-1.jpg

4721-mash-tun-keg-outside-2.jpg

4719-mash-tun-keg-interior-shot-3.jpg

4718-mash-tun-keg-interior-shot-2.jpg

4717-mash-tun-keg-interior-shot-1.jpg

Shots from last Saturday's brew day...
4723-mash-tun-keg-pump-1.jpg

4724-mash-tun-keg-use.jpg

I added the second ball valve where the QD for the recirculation in spot. That way I can control how fast the flow back into the keg mash tun is.

I'll take more pictures later, especially when it's in use during the next brew day...

Golddiggie
Hay man thanks for such great feedback! It was a total pleasure to work with you too. I am glad we had the opportunity to solve the problems and get your system up and running. Its feedback like this that keeps my little business alive. So for that I thank you!
Because of your experience with us, We are adding the instructions to our website. Should be up sometime tonight. Also if I can get my SWMBO to act as our "web talent actress" we are going to also shoot a few videos of the install process as well, and get those posted. I would do it myself but she is so much nicer to look at than me :D
I look forward to working with you again!
Cheers
Jay

So.. On the False Bottoms page of the website we did add the instructions. They are up for the world to view! Feed back is always welcome!
Many Thanks to Golddiggie to push me to get this done! It has been on the back burner for some time!
View them here www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottoms.html
Its a large page so it may take a few to load.
Cheers
Jay

+1 on the great service and products from NorCal. I purchased a 15" false bottom and dip tube from him about a month ago. They quality is superb. I will definitely do business with this company again.

Well I would have to say my first experience with NorCal was very good as well and will be doing business with them again. very nice F/B and very good communications

I find myself going back to the site again and again trying to figure out what to get from them..

Golddiggie
I think you wanted me to let you know when we got QD's in stock...well there on the site and at a KILLER price! I did start a thread in the vendor section for 1/2" stainless Quick Disconnects CHEEP!
Thanks for all the support man!
Cheers
Jay

So i just wanted to say how impressed I was with norcal brewing solutions. I had an issue with a false bottom/ weldless false bottom kits I ordered from them a few weeks ago. I gave them a call and I could not believe how helpful they were! After a few attempting to fix the problem a few times they determined i had received a faulty product. Within a few days I had a COMPLETELY new kit that was ready to go! I would defenetly do business with them again! Im so pumped!!!

:tank:

Rather than make my own thread about them I figured I would just give my props here.

A good team, their customer service is great, and their prices are very fair... I will definitely be spending my money there again.

I'm a big fan of Jay and Nor Cal Brewing in general. Service means everything, and they make their false bottoms with craftsmanship and deliver them with stellar service. I once stopped by his shop in Redding on my way home from a road trip to OR, and he was in the process of moving. He didn't have the parts I had come for readily available because of the move but assured me if I emailed him after ordering online he'd pick up the shipping. I did, and he did. I also ordered a false bottom for my igloo 10G mashtun, and the fit is perfect!

The internet commerce world depersonalizes these transactions so much that personal service like Nor Cal offers is a welcome change to the norm of wondering when or even IF your email is going to be read or responded too.

I bought my plate chiller on Monday, it shipped on Tuesday, received it Friday. As smooth a transaction as I could hope for. :) I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.

Good people, I get most of my supplies there. Jaybird welded all my keggles, bought a couple of false bottoms and a sparge arm as well.

029.jpg

027.jpg

Norcal is awesome and if there's anything you need, check their website first.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bought 8 speciality grains and they were mixed into two seperate bags. I misunderstood the checkout process.now I have pounds of mixed grain with no use. I would have thought the person packaging the malt would have known better.it was the best packaging by far though

steelers

I have a team of people that pack and ship like crazy. It is their job to pack the orders as they come in. Most of the time things like this WILL get caught. Things like a left off hole in a false bottom or a wrong size system for a kettle... But recipe formulation or deciphering a recipe is really not something they can do with the information they are given on the order. I am very sorry about the grain and I am willing to make you a deal. I will replace the grain if you pay the actual shipping cost to get it to you. I can look and see what the shipping cost was on your last order. All you need to do is PM me the name on the order and I will let you know what the shipping cost us the first time. Let me know and I will pull the order for you.

Jay

WOW......
Order on the way! I have a false bottom system in my kettle but if you will take care of a customer like this on recipes as well, I am in. Not many companies follow through like this!

M

View attachment 195060 Jay just finished up my herms kettle. Very happy

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So glad your happy with it! You are the one doing the building my friend, I am simply the welder. Your doing a great job! I think I have done more cutting, drilling and welding on that kettle than any 1 kettle EVER! I'll look forward to the next one!

Cheers
Jay

Just wanted to take a moment to give a big kudos to Jaybird and the team at NorCal Brewing Solutions. I took advantage of their sale going on and placed an order to take my single infusion gravity system to a continuous, pumped RIMS. They sent me pictures of alternate thermowells to fit my exact needs. They also quickly responded and were able to change my completed order before it shipped because of an oversight that would have cost me having to place another order and pay shipping for a single fitting.
Haven't received my order yet, but can't wait.
Good job. :mug:

*Disclaimer: I have not been compensated in any way other than great service*

NorCal Brewing Solutions brings excellent customer service, fast shipping, and good prices to HBT users. I caught the massive April sale, and everything came on time and well-packed. I love the stackable 10 lb bricks of malt and variety of leaf hops. Jay responded quickly to a special request--thanks.

Is HERMit to obvious/lame?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since I'm a big Rolling Stones fan, I was thinking Beast of HERMS.

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Jay at Nor Cal for his excellent customer service. I bought a Weldless Stainless Steel Cooler Spigot Kit from Nor Cal and everything was pre-assembled, including the teflon tape! Unfortunately the cooler I bought (Coleman Xtreme) had walls that were just a little too thick for the standard nipple they include in the kit. I PM'd Jay and he immediately helped me determine the right size nipple and had it in the mail to the next day, free of charge and no questions asked! I will definitely check back with Nor Cal when it comes time for more supplies.

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Jay at Nor Cal for his excellent customer service. I bought a Weldless Stainless Steel Cooler Spigot Kit from Nor Cal and everything was pre-assembled, including the teflon tape! Unfortunately the cooler I bought (Coleman Xtreme) had walls that were just a little too thick for the standard nipple they include in the kit. I PM'd Jay and he immediately helped me determine the right size nipple and had it in the mail to the next day, free of charge and no questions asked! I will definitely check back with Nor Cal when it comes time for more supplies.

Thanks for the huge shout out man! I am glad it got there and all is well! Now go brew some KILLER beer and don't forget where to send samples!! LOL

Cheers
Jay

Brewed 10 gal of a American pale ale using 10 oz. of cascade hops pellets today. Jaybird's 15" false bottom with level 3 stand did the job, no need for a hop spider or a trub filter.

I have been dealing with Jay on some custom stuff. He has been incredible to work with. Extremely responsive, fair pricing and met has met all his deadlines. I wish that all the vendors that I deal with could be so awesome. I'm at the point where I'm willing to spend 10-20% more to go through Jay because I know it will be better in the long run. That isn't to say his prices are 10-20% more. They are typically better than what I can get locally. I just wanted to convey that it isn't price that makes me want to buy from him. It is the WHOLE PACKAGE and the end product.

Start to finish NorCal is a badass company and someone I am proud to promote.

Cheers!!

Anyone have any feed back for me?
I ordered from them and I'm not getting any (reasonable) feedback.

I've spent quite a bit of money with those guys, and they are always exceptional. Although, that sucks that you're having some delays with them.

Did you order something of a custom size/length? I was under the assumption that they do everything in house, and they're not exactly a huge operation. Cut em some slack, I'm positive that you'll be very happy when you get your items.

Back