Noob to brewing, just opened my first bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
I receieved a gift certificate for the brew store this year for my birthday, I bought the starter kit and have brewed up 15 gallons of beer so far. My first batch is a new castle clone.

I bumbled through my first brew, following the directions and the charlie papizan book.

I let it go a week in the primary, then around 2 weeks in the secondary, then bottled about ten days ago.

Tonight I opened up one of the bottles and it had a bandaid taste. I used bleach to scrub the bottles and help remove the lables, After using the bleach I rinsed 3 times and then let them sit for a week. for bottling I filled the bottling bucket with Iodiphor and water and immersed them in the mix and let air dry

The bottle I drank from was the last bottle that I filled. It was to the point where there was not enough beer to run through the tubing, so I poured from the bottling bucket into the bottle. It was about 2/3 full. I figured I would use it as a test bottle for tasting early. I was thinking I would get some off flavor from it from the improper way I bottled. But I was not expecting the medical tape flavor.

Probable causes:
I used my cities tap water, bleach for cleaning bottles, or contamination with this one bottle from the way I poured it in.

Unfortunantly I drank the off flavored bottle, then a comercial bottle of newcastle, now I am on my 3rd beer which is from the same batch of home brew.

I cannot taste or smell the bandaid flavor as much. But I cannot tell if it is from my palate still having the botched beer on it, or if it is from it being my 3rd beer and I am feeling a bit goofy :cross:

I figure I would give it another week in the bottles and see if the bandaid flavor is still present in the other bottles.

No real point to my post, other than to say hello, I am new to brewing and the forum. Beer always tastes better after the first one:ban:.
That and to ask if I do have a bandaid flavor, will it mellow with age?

Most brews seem to need more time conditioning than just 10 days. I'd bet all of your bottles will taste drastically different between 10 days in the bottle and 21+ days. I'm not saying that more time will fix the 'bandaid' flavor but generally speaking 10 days is just not enough time.

While its likely there is a bleach issue (according to the article capcrnch pointed out) I wouldn't give up all hope. Experience has told me that the last bottles I fill by tipping the bucket often taste different than other bottles. So it may just be the last couple of bottles with a problem. Plus if bleach is to be blamed then maybe most of the bottles were rinsed better.

Give your bottles 3+ weeks in the bottles before trying another one and hope for the best. Good luck

Welcome to the hobby! As has already been said - 10 days is a bit too early for the brew to condition in the bottle. It will be drinkable, but will taste much better with proper aging. I usually give beers with specific gravities of 1.040 or less two weeks before even trying them, 1.050 or less three weeks, 1.060 or less four weeks - you get the idea.

Remember also to pour slowly with no "glug - glug" and leave the last bit in the bottle when you see the sediment starting to run out in the pour. Sediment will give your beer an off flavor usually not wanted. Homebrew "usually" does not have the quality of larger commercial brews, and we can be more subjective on our own brews. It took me quite a long time before I found this site and went from making drinkable beers to great beers I would pay money for - all with a basic brewing setup probably like you have. Do some research.

Also - I suggest Oxy Clean to remove labels - bleach can really flavor your beers in very small amounts - that was one of my mistakes. And, research getting Star San to sanitize instead of iodiphor.

Good luck,
Dan

Homebrew "usually" does not have the quality of larger commercial brews, and we can be more subjective on our own brews.

So should I just stop spending money on this hobby and invest it in commercial? (Serious question, not being snarky.)

So should I just stop spending money on this hobby and invest it in commercial? (Serious question, not being snarky.)

I don't think so - but most newbies brew a batch and expect perfect crystal clear beer with no unusual flavors. Home brewed beer really is not for EVERYONE. But if you like making things yourself, enjoy experimenting, and like a wide range of beer types and styles - then the home brewing hobbie is really addicting. I brewed for 10 years making barely drinkable beer, but I really enjoyed making it and trying to make it better. If I had a resource like this forum, it would not have taken me so long :) With a few simple tweaks in my process from things I learned here, I am now brewing beer that friends and family actually prefer over commercial brews. Heck, I got my BIL (who likes Keystone Light for petes sake) to start drinking Maibock and IPAs! But there are some that will still prefer a weak flavored watered down commercial brew because that is their preference.

So, I guess the only guy who can answer your question is you.

The issue is that you are drinking green beer....10 days is too soon to have your beer drinkable, with no off tastes..before you diagnose a problem and worry...walk away from the for another 2-4 weeks and see if the flavor is gone when you try them again...more than likely they will be...

99.5% of the time you will come back and say "wow, I worried for nothing, the beer's great now!"

.3% of the time you will forget about this thread and never report back that the beer is fine.

.2% of the time there actually was a problem...and THEN we can try troubleshooting any issues...

But until then there's no point until you pass the green beer threshold of 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning time.

While you're waiting read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

This thread will also illustrate the magic of patience...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Homebrew "usually" does not have the quality of larger commercial brews

I'm still learning in this hobby, but I prefer my beers to any commercial beers I've had. When you say quality, perhaps you mean consistency, but IMHO nothing beats home brews for taste.

I'm still learning in this hobby, but I prefer my beers to any commercial beers I've had. When you say quality, perhaps you mean consistency, but IMHO nothing beats home brews for taste.

No - I mean quality. But don't confuse quality with taste! Those big commercial breweries selling "American Premium Lagers" use hops sparingly and add rice to bump the ABV up. While their process is very much centered around "quality", I would almost always prefer one of my home brews - even a sub par one - over a Budwieser or Coors because I am a hop-head and I like the "taste" better.

Now - there are some specialty breweries and micro-brew beers that you can buy at the store that I really enjoy - but home brewing is MUCH cheaper than buying a few cases of THAT kind of beer :D

thanks for the info everyone.

I saved this specific bottle for sampling, do to it being the last one that I bottled and had to use a funnel to fill it with. I was expecting off flavors, but was a bit suprised at the flavor of medical tape.

3 to 4 weeks is a long time to wait. :D

I have not been a regular drinker for nearly 5 years. Due to the nature of my work, so 3 beers and I am at the point of no longer appreciating flavor. But from what I tasted last night in the second bottle I opened, it was better than the comercial bottle of new castle that I had tried (to me that is).

As for brewing up another batch, I have to wait until the wife is at work :D
For some reason she thinks that 25 gallons in a month is a bit much. :D
plus I have to drink up some more bottles. Like I mentioned earlier, 3 bottles is my max. So it takes a bit to save up 50 to 60 bottles.

And Revvy, I prefer to think that he yeast swim around eating up the sugars and pooping alchohol. :D
Its like having sea monkeys, except you drink the aftermath instead of pouring it down the toilette.

And Revvy, I prefer to think that he yeast swim around eating up the sugars and pooping alchohol. :D
Its like having sea monkeys, except you drink the aftermath instead of pouring it down the toilette.

And that is getting posted in the memorable quotes thread....

Not bad for a n00b to this place :D

It may even end up in my sig soon....

popped another one open tonight, 17 days after bottling. Decent carb, with a half inch of head pouring half the bottle on the side of the glass and half directly into the beer.

The band aid flavor is still present.

I will sample again in another week. See how they are doing.

and for the people advocating patience. I started my night off with a mother ship wit, then onto a 1554, then a Brr or two. In my over indulged state, I decided to see how the first brew was doing.
not expecting the absolute best brew ever, just trying out. :D

Some of us actually taste the beer once a week after botteling. I personally like to see how the flavor progresses over time. So don't feel bad for being impatient. Just don't get stuck in the rut where three weeks after botteling all the beer is gone. You would miss out on experiencing the true flavor potential of your beer.

well, I now have two batches that taste like bandaids.

The first batch that I originally posted about, still has the flavor. Then I just tried another batch that I bottled a few weeks back. It has the same flavor.

Oddly enough, I had a batch in between the two. And it tastes fine. Without a hint of band aid flavor. :(

I think band-aid flavor comes from using bleach? If you are using chlorinated water, or bleach as a sanitizer, try something different. I personally Love Star-san as a sanitizer. So easy and a truly no-rinse product. Let it drip and let it rip!

Also, your beers are still very young. Maybe a few more weeks will help.

Possibly try to eliminate the bleach from your brewing, Starsan is a great thing I know some people on here say it's expensive, $20 dollars for a bottle that last for ever isn't expensive considering. I just mix up a batch and keep it in a container, I fill a spray bottle with the diluted mixture and spray everything down before I use it, haven't' had an infection since using it. Also try to control fermenting temps as good as you can. I've gotten an almost "bandaid" flavor from very inconsistent fermenting temperatures.

I'll go ahead and just agree with everyone else here that is recommending the switch to StarSan. According to "How To Brew" if you are getting a medicinal flavor it could be caused by bleach:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

I just cracked my first bottle of my fifth batch, and I also got a pretty strong band-aid flavor....sh@tty **** balls!!!! Oh well. I was really looking forward to that english brown....it looked really good. I have been soaking my fermentor in bleach after each batch for a day or two at a time and rinsing them out really well with hot water...apparently not well enough. I'll not be using bleach anymore, though.....

I have a feeling that its not bleach causing the flavor. I am at the point of blaming my tap water. Since I did nto use bleach with the last batch. Unless its hold over from the previous batch.

I have one more that is still bottle conditioning. bleach has never been close to the equipment or bottles. I only used iodophor, oxyclean, and vodka. I did use tap water on it though.

As for the beer still being to young. I never mentioned how long ago it was bottled, and the first batch was bottled on 11/19. Is 7 weeks considered young?

The other batch has been in bottles for 4 weeks.

I do not use bleach and I just cracked open my first bottle of an Anchor Steam clone that has been conditioning for 5 weeks. It has a bit of a band aid nose and a slight metallic after taste. If I let the beer warm for about 5-7 minutes it reduces the pungency. I am curious if the metallic taste is extract twang.

I caught the comment regarding inconsistent fermenting temperatures which could be the culprit. I kept this batch in the garage where it is cooler since the directions recommended keeping the lager yeast at the lower end of the ale temp. spread.

I feel your pain, it is frustrating to pour time and effort (not to mention the wait) into your brew to have your excitement dashed so quickly. But that just means I get to figure out this challenge and improve!

Question: my LHBS stinks so I have been ordering from Midwest for a few batches. Does anybody have any reviews or other iHBS (internet) that they might recommend?

Here's a pretty good page that I found on off-flavours and the reasons for them and how to avoid them.

The common Homebrew Off flavors and aromas in your beer along with the symptoms,causes and remedies.
The below is what they have to say for band-aid flavours

Phenols
Description: "Band-Aid" like flavor or aroma, that can also present itself as medicine-like or clovey. Chlorophenols resemble the aforementioned taste descriptors combined with bleach. Phenols are usually part of the flavor profile in Belgians and Wheat beers however.

Cause: Bacterial Contamination can be responsible, or not rinsing your equipment thoroughly after sanitizing with bleach is another culprit. Also, phenols can be leached from the grain husks by overcrushing or oversparging your malt.

Remedy: Good sanitation once again is key. Make sure to always rinse your equipment thoroughly if you sanitize with bleach or a bleach-based sanitizer. Be more cognizant of grain crushing and sparging methods.

I use bleach all the time, almost exclusively. It has a bad rap around here for some reason, but proper rinsing with hot water makes it a non-issue for me.

If you suspect your tap water, try doing a batch with some store bought water. My LHBS sells RO water for cheap (in the area of 2$ per batch).

Beer is mostly water, afterall!

I used store bought spring water last night. I should know the results in a month or so.

An interesting thing with my last batch. I did a 4 gallon boil and used a little under a gallon of non boiled water for the remainder.

There was no off flavors at all with that batch. It is actually very enjoyable to drink.

So does boiling burn off all the chlorination?

You guys will probably need to buy some Starsan to get the bleach out of your gear. Also, your tap water may have chlorine which will cause the band aid flavor. Switch to bottled water when you top off the fermenter.

High fermentation temps can give you strange taste. Band aid flavors may be a higher alcohol. Higher alcohol's are produced at higher fermentation temps . Iv been reading lately about how fermentation temps are huge to the final flavor of the beer.

There was an experiment done. A guy on the forums here, made two exact beers. One he put in a closet that would get up to 80 degrees at times. The other beer he put in a water bath with a constant temp. The two beers were like night and day. The water bath beer was superior over the beer in the closet at the fluctuating temps. I wish I could remember what thread I read that.

Yet another reason for me to build my fermentation chamber. I stick my buckets in a closet, but with the change in temperatures, the temperature in the closet has been bouncing around over the last couple of weeks.

I was a firm believer in bleach until I had my first "Bandaid" beer. This was somewhere around my 10th batch. I always thought I rinsed very well, but this time I must have missed something. I had to dump the whole batch. Never again will I use bleach to sanitize. I use StarSan exclusively and after about 300 more gallons, I've not had another ruined batch. Use bleach if you like, but you'd better rinse very, very well and don't miss anything. I don't think I'll ever use it again unless it's an emergency and I'm out of StarSan.

I was a firm believer in bleach until I had my first "Bandaid" beer. This was somewhere around my 10th batch. I always thought I rinsed very well, but this time I must have missed something. I had to dump the whole batch. Never again will I use bleach to sanitize. I use StarSan exclusively and after about 300 more gallons, I've not had another ruined batch. Use bleach if you like, but you'd better rinse very, very well and don't miss anything. I don't think I'll ever use it again unless it's an emergency and I'm out of StarSan.

Yikes, never dump a batch for those reasons. Time heals all wounds, as they say. Unless it was really contaminated, no reason to dump.

Yikes, never dump a batch for those reasons. Time heals all wounds, as they say. Unless it was really contaminated, no reason to dump.

Or if he is going to dump it... give me a call... I can take it off your hands and give a little bit o' patience! :)

Cracked one open from this batch that I originally posted about.

was very enjoyable, with no off flavors.
I still have the majority of bottles left. Probably 3/4 of the batch.
I had tried one at six months post bottling and it still had some odd flavors.
I forgot that I still had this batch. Until I was cleaning out the beer closet. 12 months in the dark, seems to have done the trick.

Back