Noob SNPA Clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazo

Reaction score
Hello all!! This will be my 3rd brew 1st non-kit so im a little nervous/lost. Want to do a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone since i love pale ales and want to venture out of the kits, try to expand my knowledge. This is what im looking at so far - any and all help will be much appreciated

6lbs Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
12oz American Two-row Pale
8oz Dextrine
4oz Crystal 40L

60 mins 1oz Nugget pellet
15 mins 0.5oz Cascade pellet
5 mins 1.0oz Cascade pellet
dry hop 10 days 0.5oz Cascade pellet

White Labs California Ale (WLP001)
1tsp Irish Moss

Yeast to room temperature. Bring 1 gallon of water to between 155 degrees. Steep grains in grain bag for 30 minutes. Remove grain bag, let drain. Stir in malt extract. Add water to bring total wort volume to 3 gallons. Bring to a boil, Add 1 oz. Nugget hop pellets. Boil for 45 minutes. Add 1/2 oz. Cascade hops, boil 15 minutes. Add 1 oz. Cascade hops, boil for 5 minutes. Cool wort to 70 degrees. Add 2-3 gallons of reserved water to fermenter. Syphon wort into fermenter. Take OG reading. Pitch yeast. Ferment in primary for 10 days. Take FG reading. Rack to a secondary, dry hop 0.5 oz. Cascade hops. Ferment in secondary for 10 days - 2 weeks. Add priming sugar, bottle, age for 2-3 week

Looks pretty good. I don't know what you'll gain by steeping the 12oz of 2-row though...

Also, I think SNPA uses Magnum & Perle hops for bittering; but Nugget/Cascade will make a fine pale ale.

I would also recommend a three week primary and a 5-7 dry hop period.

:mug:

rack to secondary and dry hop there for 5-7?

Yep.

A longer primary will give the yeast time to clean up after themselves, and allow a lot of the yeast to settle out which should give you a clearer beer.

You could dry hop 10 days, but most tend to keep it to around 7.

I'd double the amount of your 15 minute, 5 minute and dry hops schedule if you want something close to the hoppiness of SNPA. Looks like a nice recipe though. Give it a try and let us know how it comes out.

thank you so much!! Should i just cut out the 2 row? if i did is there anything i should add?

The 2-row won't add anything to the beer unless you actually mash it to convert the starches. So, since it isn't really adding anything to begin with, taking it out altogether won't affect your final product in any noticeable way.

The 2-row won't add anything to the beer unless you actually mash it to convert the starches. So, since it isn't really adding anything to begin with, taking it out altogether won't affect your final product in any noticeable way.

He actually is mashing it, albeit a short mash since he was planning a 30 minute steep at 155 and I assume he plans to have the 2 row and specialty grains crushed. I saw another SNPA extract recipe that called for 1 lb of 2 row (although not exactly sure why). If you already have it go ahead with your initial plan. If not just add about .5-.75 lb of malt extract in it's place.

He actually is mashing it, albeit a short mash since he was planning a 30 minute steep at 155 and I assume he plans to have the 2 row and specialty grains crushed. I saw another SNPA extract recipe that called for 1 lb of 2 row (although not exactly sure why). If you already have it go ahead with your initial plan. If not just add about .5-.75 lb of malt extract in it's place.

Indeed. I missed that part of the instructions.

You might not get complete conversion in that amount of time, but you'll get something.

If you bother with the 2-row, I would steep it - mash really - for an hour, otherwise I would leave it out and just up the DME.

got it, thanks alot everyone, really. i will post the results and with final recipe. in due time.

Back