Noob Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_ozz68

Reaction score
Hi everyone, although I have been lurking and reading this board for a couple months this is my first post. Let me start by thanking everyone here for all the good information that I have been able to pick up the last couple of months. I have quickly moved from extract to all grain brewing because of all the knowledge that I have found here.......Now to my question, I was trying to formulate a recipe for a pretty simple and basic summer Golden beer and I came up with this....

6# 2 Row
2# Vienna Malt
2# Carared

1 oz Cascade 60 min.
1/2 oz Cascade 10 min.

....I have already purchased the above grains and hops, however my local brew store is only 5 minutes away if I need any additions or changes to the recipe. I'm hoping to brew this yet today.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

That seems a little heavy on the Carared to me. 1/2 to 1 pound would do it but since you have the grains go for it. If it were me I would have gone with 1 less pound of the cara and 1 more pound of the base malt.

1 oz at 60 minutes with that grain bill tells me it is going to be too bitter. I would break that oz up and add 1/2 oz for 60 min. and 1/2 oz at 30 minutes and keep your 1/2 oz at 10.

Thanks for the input. My main concern after getting the grains was the 2# of carared. I was trying to get to the Golden coloring and now I'm probably going to be closer to Copper.

I will take your advice with breaking up the hop schedule. Thanks Again!

Back