Noob question, determining FG from an experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS223

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I mixed up a Munton's Gold IPA kit. It makes 6 gallons so I dumped two gal in a Mr. Beer keg and the rest in a corny. I pitched US-05 in the corny and I pitched the Munton's kit yeast in the Mr. Beer. I also had a pack of Mr. Beer booster that was getting pretty tattered from getting tossed from one end of the cabinet to the other. So I figured what hay, I'll toss it in the Mr. Beer and see what happens. The OG (before pitching) was 1.050 @ 60degF It had a nice krausen 24 hours later which died down pretty quickly. It's sitting in a cooler (rotating an ice pack) @ 70deg or less. I haven't pulled it out yet to see what the trub layer looks like since it's only been 72 hours. What should my FG be for this blend? My reason for asking is to determine whether it ends up stuck or not. The little pack of Munton's yeast was supposed to do 6 gal.

The remaining wort had a OG of 1.036 @ 60degF

The Munton's instructions said that 1kg of sugar could be added (to the 6 gal) to bring the ABV closer to 6% hence my carefree whim to use the Booster.

The analysis on the booster is 12.5oz
56% Maltose, 16% Maltotroise, 20% higher Saccharides (Dextrins), and 8% Dextrose

The dextrins won't ferment but the general rule of thumb is that the FG is ABOUT 1/4 the OG....so for the 1.050 that would be about 1.012.

For the 1.036 it would be about 1.009.

The batch with the dextrins may finish a bit higher than expected due to it's unfermentable nature.

Back