Noob question about hop alphas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
I've just recently started brewing from recipes rather than kits. A couple of weeks ago I put together a batch based on Palmer's ESB recipe from "How To Brew". I did a 2.5 gallon batch (full boil) so I just divided everything by half. After the fact I ran the ingredients I bought through a calculator and came up with an insane IBU. His recipe says it's supposed to be about 38. The calculator says it's going to be 70.

For 2.5 gallons:
1/2 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes (his recipe = 9%, mine labeled 9.6%)
3/8 oz East Kent Goldings at 30 (his = 5, mine = 7.2)
3/8 oz EKG at 15 (ditto)

Should I expect such a large variation in the IBU? Most recipes don't tell you the exact AA of the hops they were concocted with. Is the freebie calculator I'm using just completely out of whack? Should I run my recipes through a good calculator based on the label on the package before I commit?

I guess I'll find out next weekend when I bottle if it's an ESB or a hop bomb, but I was rather surprised at this. Any thoughts?

I use brewers friend. Seems to work well. Also, the strength of the beer and many other variables change hop perception..it's a guesstimation at best.

I think you will be close to your ibu target. Of course time will mellow all beers.

actual IBU and perceived IBU are not equal. i bet many of the RIS out there are using 5-7oz of hops in the recipe, but you'd never notice. put those in a simple pale ale, POW!

I've just recently started brewing from recipes rather than kits. A couple of weeks ago I put together a batch based on Palmer's ESB recipe from "How To Brew". I did a 2.5 gallon batch (full boil) so I just divided everything by half. After the fact I ran the ingredients I bought through a calculator and came up with an insane IBU. His recipe says it's supposed to be about 38. The calculator says it's going to be 70.

For 2.5 gallons:

1/2 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes (his recipe = 9%, mine labeled 9.6%)

3/8 oz East Kent Goldings at 30 (his = 5, mine = 7.2)

3/8 oz EKG at 15 (ditto)

Should I expect such a large variation in the IBU? Most recipes don't say what IBU they were concocted with. Is the freebie calculator I'm using just completely out of whack? Should I run my recipes through a good calculator based on the label on the package before I commit?

I guess I'll find out next weekend when I bottle if it's an ESB or a hop bomb, but I was rather surprised at this. Any thoughts?

Cut to .25 oz for n brewer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back