NoOb keg cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
im a complete noob at kegging i just finished my kegerator build and used the blc product and mixed at the portions it said and rinsed thouroghly, was just wondering if there was any possible problems if i missed any? i filled each keg half way and hooked it to the gas and ran it through also im just used to using one step lol.

BLC is a cleaner, but I don't believe it's a sanitizer. BLC or PBW is good for cleaning, but I'd use a bit of one step or star-san to sanitize prior to actually putting your beer in the keg.

+1 on using Star-San Also I wouldn't waste gas by pushing cleaner through,
If the kegs are ball / pin locks, just get a wrench and take the posts off and pull dip tube out and throw them in the keg with Star -San ....reassemble.
Once you dis/ reassemble you'll realize how simple the system is.

FWIW, I don't use a sanitizer or a cleaner. I boil about a gallon of water, pour it into the keg, seal, shake like hell, and then use a picnic tap to vent some of the water through the diptube and liquid out. Haven't had an issue with infection or anything else. Found the suggestion from someone on here, but can't remember who.

Back