Noob Dextrin Malt help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly7552

Reaction score
I want to brew a steam beer this weekend and Palmer's book says: 1/2 lb of Dextrin Malt and 2/3 lbs of Crystal 40 Malt. I went to the local home brew store and mistakenly asked for Malto Dextrin and ended up with Amber DME.

I looked at the grain bins and couldn't find Dextrin Malt and the only Crystal's were a Crystal 45. Is Crystal 45 close enough and how do I get Dextrin Malt?

Thanks,

-Bill

Dextrin Malt is commonly called Carapils (one company calls it Carafoam). The dextrin malt isn't as important as the Crystal malt. The Dextrin malt adds just a little body. The Crystal malt impacts the taste and color in a much more profound way. You can really replace the Dextrin malt with anything except some Malto Dextrin. The beer will be ok without the Dextrin malt. Adding more crystal or the amber dme is not a solution.

Forrest

So of my two problems, you've solved one, thanks I'll return the DME and replace it with Cara-Pils! My second problem, other than being and annoying Noob is what impact replacing Crystal 40 malt with Crystal 45 would be?

Thanks,

-Bill

None. Crystal 40L is somewhere between 35L-45L. So close it is the same. Direct subtitute.

Forrest

Kelly,

Keep in mind that Briess's pale extracts already contain some CaraPils; they don't tell us how much, only that it's in there. Adding a half-pound of CaraPils in five gallons shouldn't take the beer too far out of whack. I just wanted you to know what's in the extract you might choose.

Cheers,

Bob

Back