Non-alcoholic cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
Each fall I help friends make apple cider. They supply the apples, I supply the knowledge and away we go. I have someone in the group who wants us to make a non-alcoholic cider for friends of his who don't drink. I'm thinking that this just just the raw apple juice with some preservatives, specifically sulphite and sorbate. I figured about 1/2 tsp. of sulphite (abut 50ppm) and maybe 2 tsp. of potassium sorbate per 6 gallons. We'll wait till it clears and then bottle it up. They want it to last until next spring/summer. Maybe we could carbonate some too. (I have a CO2 system for doing this.) How does this all sound? (Home pasteurizing is not an option as there's going to be too much of it.)

Sounds good to me. Do you have recipe for you hard cider or do you just use cider and yeast? What yeast? I am currently enjoying a batch of hard cider and I am going to put another 5 gallons in the fermenter tomorrow for a total of 20 gallons for the season. :) I want to try something a little different this time around.

If you want to keep it until spring/summer, I think you will need to refrigerate. Note that even commercial ciders that are pasteurized and sorbated still require refrigeration.

Sounds good to me. Do you have recipe for you hard cider or do you just use cider and yeast? What yeast? I am currently enjoying a batch of hard cider and I am going to put another 5 gallons in the fermenter tomorrow for a total of 20 gallons for the season. :) I want to try something a little different this time around.

I also add yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme; I sulphite the apple juice first. The yeast I use is EC-1118.

If you want to keep it until spring/summer, I think you will need to refrigerate. Note that even commercial ciders that are pasteurized and sorbated still require refrigeration.

Santa Cruz cider is not refrigerated. I wonder what they do...

Latest posts

Back