Noisy True TDD-2 keggerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnowlan

Reaction score
PostLink Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:48 pm Post subject: Noisy True TDD-2 keggerator Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
We’ve recently moved and my wife agreed that I could upgrade our Keggerator as part of the move, previously we had a homemade two tap unit. So I started looking around. I was really excited when I found a True TDD-2 unit new for a good price that based on its size fit perfectly in the space we picked out for our new keggerator.

The problem now is that I’ve installed the unit and it is noisy as hell! So noisy in fact that I may need to get rid of this thing if I can’t reduce the noise it makes. I have a tech coming out later this week to make sure that the unit is operating correctly but though I’d check here in case anyone has any experience with these units.

I’ve got the unit set up in our basement where we also watch TV. When the compressor kicks in the condenser fan also comes on and it is loud, very loud. I did lots of reading on the unit before I got it and though there were comments that they do make a little more noise than a typical fridge it was comparable to a deep freeze. I have a deep freeze that I use for fermentation that is nowhere near as loud as this thing.

So either the unit has an issue, which the tech will fix or because this is a commercial unit or I need to find some way to reduce the noise level of the unit. So here’s the question I’m looking for some help with.

Can I install a fan speed control switch (Something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-Variable-Speed-Controller-Hardwired-VS100/202803522) that I could turn down the speed of the fan and reduce the noise level of the unit. I know I can’t use a typical dimmer switch for this type of application, but wondering if this may work. I think the bulk of the noise is coming from the fan. This would allow me to selectively turn the fan to a lower setting and reduce the noise level when we want to and leave it on high when the noise wouldn’t bother anyone. I have the unit in our basement, where ambient temperatures are between 65 and 75 all year round so I’m thinking that this wouldn’t reduce the efficiency of the unit so much that it wouldn’t keep up with the 45-50 degrees I have it set at.

The fan in the unit looks like it’s a two wire fan. I can see a start capacitor but I’m guessing this is just for the compressor. I would cut a hole in the front of the unit large enough to install the switch then wire it to the hot wire going into the fan.

Hope someone can help.

I have no idea why it's so loud, but I'd be hesitant to try to adjust the speed of the fan. I imagine that fan is required to keep the thing from cycling too often. It's meant to exhaust the heat from the unit so it can cool. if it doesn't do that well enough, the thing will run all the time.

I'd wait until the service guy comes out to look at it. A fan assembly replacement might be best.

Thanks Homercidal,
Yeah, that's why I wanted to put the question to the group. I was thinking that reducing the fan speed (only when needed) would cause the cycle time to increase as it would take a little longer to cool the cabinet with lower fan speed. That being said I've adjusted the thermostat up from their factory settings of 33-36 to 45-50.

So I guess what I'm really asking is, is there is a mechanical or electrical reason why I couldn't add a fan speed control switch? Other than the potential of putting more stress on the compressor because of longer cycle times.

Back