nocturnal emission homebrew styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
Good morning homebrewers! I am currently brewing my 6th batch, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout clone. Brewed it friday and used my new aeration stone along with my wyeast american ale yeast that had been on my mixing plate for about 60 hours. I was very exited as I have never had a fermentaion where the airlock over flowed with kraeusen. I went to bed last night with good active fermentation...figured it had peaked. So I left my airlock in as I normally would and went to bed. Woke up this mornin' to find my airlock sputtering foam sheet wrapped around my 6.5gal carboy soaked with overflowing goodness! I was very excited! So I quikly rigged a new airlock with a blowoff hose. I guess the aeraition and the yeast starter worked wonders. I made starters every time before but never with a mixing plate. If you do not have one of thse I highly recomend it becouse it is great! The aeration kit I used was a more beer kit that a LHBS resales...it has the aqaurium pump with an air filter and a stainless steel diffusion stone plus all the tubing for around 32 bucks. Worth it! :):mug:

Still goin strong! It is not overflowing but it is still actively fermenting. I love my mixing plate and my aeration kit! It made all the difference when it came to strong fermentation.:)

I got the recipe from Beer Captured by Tess and Mark Szamatulski.
8 lbs Munton light DME
4 oz. toasted oats,
15 oz. british roasted barley,
9 oz. US Chocolate malt,
8 oz. US 55L crystal malt,
2 oz. US Black malt,
6 oz. malto dextrin,
3/4 oz. galena @14% AA (10.5 HBU)(bittering hop),60 min boil
1/2 oz. Cascade(flavor)15 min boil
1/2 oz. Willamette(flavor)15min boil
1 tsp irish moss (15 min)
1/2 oz. Cascade(aroma) 5 min boil
1/2 oz. Willamette (aroma) 5 min boil
1 1/4 cup muntons extra light DME that has been boiled for 20 min in 2 cups of water for primer
1st choice Wyeast 1056 American Ale 2nd choice Wyeast 1272 Amerian Ale 2
For all grain replace the 8 lbs of DME with 12 lbs. of 2 row
It says to mash grains at 153 for 90 min
If you do all grain add 58.4 HBU (20% less) of the bittering hop
Ferment at 68-72 degrees in primary for 7 days or until it slows then transfer to 2ndary . Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gavity is reached and beer has cleared ( about 3 weeks)
Afrter youlet it prime for 4 weeks at 70 degrees let it stay in the bottle at least 3 months, best between 3 to 6 months
Target OG 1.073 FG 1.020 srm 100+ IBU 45 and A.B.V 6.7%
Hope thats enough info for ya.... if not let me kno what else you need to know:)

:mug::mug:hell yes! just racked to my secondary and everything is looking good. Gave the brew a taste and I could drink it now! It is very tastey. It will be hard to wait for this stuff age that is for sure.:mug:

:mug::mug:hell yes! just racked to my secondary and everything is looking good. Gave the brew a taste and I could drink it now! It is very tastey. It will be hard to wait for this stuff age that is for sure.:mug:
I know what you mean.
Oatmeal stout is hard to bottle too. Bottle one drink one, bottle one drink one, to heck with it drink one drink one, drink one drink one....

Back