NO yeast sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmendo2005

Reaction score
Was wondering if there was bacteria or anything that could cause an off taste as well as a lack of yeast sediment in bottles for a high abv. beer?

Bottles so I'm guessing you primed? If so can you still taste the priming sugar? are they carb'd? The more you can tell about your current situation the more likely some will be able to truly help you!

Its about an 8-9% holiday ale been bottled for close to a month. Tried it and while I'm not the best with off tastes it tastes like hot alcohol or a solventish to me. I know high abv need to sit to mellow it out, and that the possibilities could be high ferment, not sanitized well etc. But whats odd to me is there is still not much sediment at the bottom of bottoms. There is a tiny bit of sticky yellowish blots on the bottom however?

cmendo2005 said:
Its about an 8-9% holiday ale been bottled for close to a month. Tried it and while I'm not the best with off tastes it tastes like hot alcohol or a solventish to me. I know high abv need to sit to mellow it out, and that the possibilities could be high ferment, not sanitized well etc. But whats odd to me is there is still not much sediment at the bottom of bottoms. There is a tiny bit of sticky yellowish blots on the bottom however?

The hot alcohol sounds like high fermentation temps. But it is still considered pretty young at this point. I would let your beer sit for a minimum of two more weeks before you open another, ideally more like a month. The lack of yeast sediment is probably a function of the fact that your beer is still pretty young and is either not finished fermenting your priming sugar or just has not quite yet dropped out of suspension

However a friend of mine once had a batch that had zero sediment in bottles. Not sure why.

Odd, so is that not an infection or bacteria that anyone knows of that eats the yeast or something like that? Just curious

That hot alcohol taste is fusel alcohols. The ferment temp was too high & didn't get time to clean them up after FG was reached. Besides the fact that hogh gravity beers need a lot of time in primary. and longer time in bottles to condition/carb properly. They def are not quick turn around beers. They'll also take 2 weeks fridge time to get decent head & carbonation at all,ime.

cmendo2005 said:
Odd, so is that not an infection or bacteria that anyone knows of that eats the yeast or something like that? Just curious

Not that I'm aware of. Proper time for carbonation and conditioning will probably result in some yeast sediment.

Latest posts

Back