No specialty grains with LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a 8.5# LME (4.25 and 4.25 late edition). It is Briess organic pale ME. I'm trying to make something that is basically in between a PA and IPA.

Beer Smith says this will yield a 7.3 SRM.

Does LME result in more body than DME or will not using specialty grains result in a very thin beer with nearly no body?

The rest of the beer is

0.75 or 1oz Summit 13.9% AAU 60min (BeerSmith says late extract will boost IBUs by 14 if I use 1oz vs 0.75OZ).

1oz Cascade 8.9% AAU 15min

1oz Cascade 8.9% AAU 1min

Which is about 57 IBUs

I would suggest a small amount (8oz) of Crystal 40 malt for color, body and head retention.

Also, I'm not sure how late you are planning the addition of ME but you'll want it AFTER your 15 minute hop addition. I'd consider moving the 1st hop addition up to the 30 or 20 minute mark.

thanks, that is a good idea about the 8oz of crystal.

I thought I was going to add the late LME and 15 min hops at the same time. Is that a bad idea?

thanks, that is a good idea about the 8oz of crystal.

I thought I was going to add the late LME and 15 min hops at the same time. Is that a bad idea?

No, but adding the LME will probably stop the boil. I'd probably add the LME at flame out or after the hops additions, because stopping the boil is sort of a pain.

ok thanks... I'll keep that in mind. would it still stop the boil on a big bayou burner (sq-14 i think).

Yes sir. I think adding the remaining LME at flame out would be fine. This will also help in the cooling process. Good luck

Back