no specialty grains --> used a bunch of oatmeal instead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
so here's my story, please tell me if im crazy.

i bought a Honey Weizen kit online from Northern Brewer (I think). i waited about a month before brewing due to circumstances outside of my control (ie Im lazy). when i went to add my grains, i realized i couldnt find them / i did not receive them. anyway, its not important why i didnt have my grains, just that i didnt have my grains. i was all primed up to brew, and although i wasnt too far in the process to turn back...i substituted in a bunch of oatmeal i had in my cupboard :rockin:

any insight as to how much that will affect my beer? im not too worried, because im going to drink it anyway, plus im curious to see what it will taste like. so am i crazy?

Let us know how it turns out when you taste it. I have thought about using some oatmeal in a batch for a different flavor just to see.

I think that kit did not come with any.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1281.html

The oatmeal will add some starch to the beer. This will make the beer hazy and provide food for any bugs that may possibly infect you beer.

EDIT: But, the starch will add some mouthfeel too and will be fine in the beer.

oh hahah. that explains everything. thanks, i look forward to an oaty honey weizen

The oatmeal will add some starch to the beer. This will make the beer hazy and provide food for any bugs that may possibly infect you beer.
why even mention this? that's only going to happen if there are bad sanitation practices. the beer already has plenty of starches in it for bugs to feed off of. using the oatmeal is not going to increase the risk of infection.

the beer should also be hazy, cuz it's a hefeweizen.

i don't think this will have any negative affect on the beer.
:mug:

why even mention this? that's only going to happen if there are bad sanitation practices. the beer already has plenty of starches in it for bugs to feed off of. using the oatmeal is not going to increase the risk of infection.

the beer should also be hazy, cuz it's a hefeweizen.

i don't think this will have any negative affect on the beer.

I guess that came out wrong. I did not mean to imply that it would increase the risk for infection. And, I agree the oats will not have any negative effect on the beer, probably make it better.

I hope you neglected to mention that you already had LME or DME, and were only missing the steeping grains. Otherwise you'll be trying to ferment thin, runny, oatmeal.

Back