No signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
Hey guys need advice. I brewed up a hef Tuesday. I went out of town and left it in charge of my wife. THe brew was kept about 59-63 while I was gone. My wife kept telling me that she saw no activity in the airlock, but as I know from reading there doesn't mean anything. Well when I got home and I pulled the lid of....and it looks like there is nothing going on. No Krausen. Nothing. I pitched Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638. When I activated the yeast the package didn't swell like others have, but according to the package it wouldn't necessarily swell. So what is my next move? Should I assume there is something going on even though there is no signs of it, or should I try to repitch some yeast

You have to take a gravity reading to be sure. If there was activity it might be gone already. Do you see some kind of crusty rim above the liquid on the side of the fermenter?

That's a little low for temps, WY says 64 tp 75 for that strain which is maybe why it didn't start up. I would take a reading and see if the gravity dropped. If not then either heat it up or repitch another packet.

Try warming it up 5 degrees. The temp is low according to the Wyeast website. Operating temp is 64-73*F so that might be the issue. If that fails to start it and the gravity hasn't moved then I would pitch another round of yeast.

Ok I will give warming it up a shot. I am using the new cool brewing bag and I wasn't here to monitor it

with it setting dormate for so going on 3 days can I expect any off flavors?

If it isn't infected then it shouldn't have off flavors. Some people do no chill and let the wort sit for 24 hrs before pitching and seem satisfied. I personally have no experience on this subject though. You should keep us updated on how it turns out.

Like funny said. Take a gravity read. If you were using a new kind or fermenting set up you prob didn't get a good airtight seal and the pressure leaked instead of going through the air lock. Not a big deal when it happened to me. The beer come out great

Well Looks like temp was problem. The beer is now sitting stable at 66. No bubbles, but definitely a solid Krausen started. That cool brewing fermentation cooler worked much better than I imagined. it is keeping beer at 66 with just a 12 ounce of frozen water.

Bleedsblue said:
That cool brewing fermentation cooler worked much better than I imagined. it is keeping beer at 66 with just a 12 ounce of frozen water.

Do you have any pictures of the cooler?

So good to hear that. Thanks for following up. Can't wait to hear the tasting results in a few weeks.

Dwait. it is this one https://www.cool-brewing.com/

It works really well. A frozen 1 gallon jug kept the beer too low to ferment about 58-59 and it was lasting 2 days. I let it warm up and then used a 12oz bottle and it was about 68. I am trying a frozen 2 liter to see where that puts me.

Glad your beer started up, but couldn't you get the same effect with a $10 rope tote and a towel wrapped around the carboy? Cool contraption, but really really pricey for what it does.

freddyj said:
$ = convenience.

The rope bucket is convenient. All you have to do is fill it with water and throw some ice bottles in a couple times a day for the first 3-6 days. I have two from Lowes for about 8 bucks apiece. I upgraded to a temp controlled cooler, but I still use the buckets for ales when I am lagering. That contraption the OP has is handy for those without space or tolerance (SWMBO's) for the rope buckets. It comes in handy, but I like simple too.

Back