No signs of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasbootjoe

Reaction score
I believe my beer is fermenting but I'm showing no signs of CO2 bubbling....is this okay?

Thanks new homebrewer :mug:

"I believe" - ? What does that mean?

How long since you pitched yeast? What gravity? Need some details here.

more info please. what are you brewing in? a bucket? how long ago did you pitch the yeast? what has been the room temperature?

if your brewing in a bucket its perfectly normal for the airlock to not bubble. the CO2 is escaping elsewhere. all the airlock is is a pressure release valve not a fermentation indicator.

its also possible you just haven't waited long enough for fermentation to begin. each fermentation is different. just because one starts within an hour doesn't mean the next will. it can take a few days before visible signs of fermentation start.

if the room is to cold the yeast will be sluggish and take longer to get started and finish. for typical ales the wort itself should be 68F with the room being slightly colder to account for heat produced by an active fermentation.

if your curious put your good ear up to the side of the bucket. if you hear a hissing then you know fermentation is going on. also you can take a SG reading. if its gone down from the OG then you know there is fermentation.

my over all recommendation is RDWHAHB.

showMessage

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
6.60 lbs 81.48 % Pale Liquid Extract 1.036 8.0
0.50 lbs 6.17 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 1.034 60.0
0.50 lbs 6.17 % Chocolate Malt 1.034 350.0
0.50 lbs 6.17 % Black (Patent) Malt 1.025 500.0

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 20.00 Horizon 60 mins 12.00
0.75 ozs 10.97 Williamette 40 mins 5.00
0.50 ozs 5.05 Williamette 20 mins 5.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg London Ale Wyeast Labs 1028

I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon....

Okay thanks....I might have a bad stopper cause I do here some hissing.

Sorry I'm nervous lol this is my second batch! I just need to leave it alone!!

Latest posts

Back