No, really, it was a very sensible investment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdiotBrewing

Reaction score
I haven't been doing much work in the brewery, because my Missus wants me to do work on the house. To be fair, I do have form for this! Our last house was purchased against her wishes, but I promised her faithfully I would do it up. I did, although much of the work was finished 17 years later just as the lawyers were drawing up the paperwork for the sale. Ho hum!

Our new house was horrible. But, and it's a big but, it had fields and woods so I could hunt, it had outhouses aplenty for other insanity, and it had a brick stables block that I wanted for my office (I told her that, but it was always going to be the brewery; the office was created from an old garage).

I promised her I would do the house up, and she obviously had that 'once bitten, twice shy' thing going on. Still, I bought it and do feel somewhat like I should do some work in the house. So, I've kind of being doing stealth brewery stuff whilst also fixing the house. So far there's been a new kitchen, bedrooms and I've built her a dressing room (I'm good, real good).

The old kitchen was taken out carefully, and I decided to use it in the brewery. The old cabinets and counters are destined for a yeast lab, and the sinks...

I don't know about you but I hate washing stuff up. I hate cleaning. I know it's important, I know it's necessary, but I hate it. it's properly dull. I know that some brewers pretend to enjoy it, claiming it's therapeutic, but it's not. Also, few kitchen sinks were designed for brewing. At least in the brewery when I spill water over everything I can get away with it.

Why oh why oh why are most bleeding sinks designed to wash a tea cup and nothing more. Whose idea was that? My brewery had one such sink. I loved brewing, but every brew day ended in anger, frustration and drunken rage as I slopped water all over the place, couldn't fit anything under the tap and spent hours trying to clean everything.

When I replaced our aforementioned kitchen I kept the double sink and units, and after a while I installed them in the brewery. Now I had three sinks, admittedly crap ones, each designed to wash a tea cup. I actually did get a bit giddy because I had three sinks; get me!

After fitting them, I popped around to a mates for a beer. I told him I'd been plumbing sinks into the brewery. He laughed because he'd just had a sink put in his laundry room (he paid someone to do it, and it leaked). I went to look at it, and I knew right then what I had to do.

As he poured the beers I borrowed his lap top and found not the same sink as he had, but a double one. The sealant wasn't even cured on my newly fitted old sinks before I had replaced them, and it was an investment made wisely, because ... well, it was. Trust me on this!

Behold...

sinks.jpg

Two fermenters can fit in each sink. Plus, if I get a dwarf stripper in for a brew day and the Missus pops along, she can hide in the sink (the stripper, that is, not the missus).

I think you'll all agree the investment is most sensible!

when I remodel the kitchen, which the wife barely uses, the sink will be deep enough to fit at least a five gallon stock pot. most of my cleaning is done out doors or in the bath tub currently.

Whoever designs these tiny sinks that cant fit more than a plate obviously doesnt cook and utilize the sink. I wash my equipment in the tub right now and haye it, it makes it a chore. When i get around to my brew room i'm getting the biggest sink possible.

I really like the way you wrote that up! I'm sort of in the same boat...bought an old house and do all the work to fix 'er up myself. Like you, I've found that doing all that home improvement stuff seriously, and negatively, impacts the brewing and fishing time.

I recently chucked together a Bavarian Weiss, which was the first use of the sinks in anger. The brewday was certainly enhanced, to the point that the clean-up which usually adds an hour of misery sailed by like a thing that sails by as you sit, smiling, beer in hand.

My next task is to make the chilling process simpler too, as this retains an element of clumsiness!

Back