No Pellicle= no sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
About 4-5 months ago I pitched wlp655 into a batch of beer. It finished fermenting in a couple weeks, so I transfered into secondary. Since then, I have not had any pellicle formation. My basement where I have the carboys usually stays around 62-65 degs in the winter. Should I move them upstairs where it is a bit warmer? Or should I not worry? I haven't tasted the beer yet.

So i guess no oxygen is a good thing at this point? Pacients hasnt been an issue so far. I am just wondering if the temp might be too cold for the bugs to do their job properly.

warmer certainly wouldnt hurt, but low 60s is warm enough for the bugs to still be working. i've had activity into the 50s, so I wouldnt worry about it. even if they might slow down now, they'll perk back up as the season turns.

MaynardX said:
So i guess no oxygen is a good thing at this point? Pacients hasnt been an issue so far. I am just wondering if the temp might be too cold for the bugs to do their job properly.

No o2 means low vinegar (at least in theory), so that's positive.

Personally, sans a very well controlled temperature environment would let the beer ride with the weather. It'll be a slow and go type of aging but it's less work than trying to set up a temp controlled environment where there isnt one already. Keep it in the basement.

Back