No lager, lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I'm looking for a style/way to brew what would compare to a lager. My roommate loves the ales I make, but he wants me to brew some "party beers" (ie, ones that are more "easily drinkable", his words).

Basically, he wants something in the vein of a cervesa, or a pilsner. He really likes Labatt and Yuengling.

The problem is, while we have quite a bit of beer making equipment, I don't have the ability to lager. I am not asking for ways to build a lagering chamber, rather, I'm hoping people know a good ale we can brew that will achieve the same result.

Thanks!

Edwort's Kolsch is a good start for sure. Otherwise, I'd also look into finding a good cream ale recipe which are really easy drinking.

Another option is to take something like an ordinary or special bitter style and use yeast that attenuates highly to give it a drier finish and then give it a balanced hop bite without as much aroma and your typical BMC drinkers will really enjoy it. For example, I took a real basic 1.050 bitter recipe, used Nottingham instead of a typical british yeast, and tweaked the hops a bit and got a nice and light, crisp, and really drinkable beer. Some of my friends who dislike almost anything I brew thought this beer was just awesome. Wasn't exactly my favorite, but you gotta do what you gotta do to please friends sometimes :D

Edwort's Kolsch is a good start for sure. Otherwise, I'd also look into finding a good cream ale recipe which are really easy drinking.

Another option is to take something like an ordinary or special bitter style and use yeast that attenuates highly to give it a drier finish and then give it a balanced hop bite without as much aroma and your typical BMC drinkers will really enjoy it. For example, I took a real basic 1.050 bitter recipe, used Nottingham instead of a typical british yeast, and tweaked the hops a bit and got a nice and light, crisp, and really drinkable beer. Some of my friends who dislike almost anything I brew thought this beer was just awesome. Wasn't exactly my favorite, but you gotta do what you gotta do to please friends sometimes :D

Totally agree. This will be my first all grain batch, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible and eliminate as many of the variables as possible while still taking all grain from start to finish (including crush).

Everyone who comes over really enjoys my Ales. My Orval clone as well as my Levitation clones have received great reviews. I'm awaiting my Dead Guy clone to finish up in secondary and I'm racking half of my Arrogant Bastard to a keg and the other half to an oak barrel. I'm really excited for that one :ban:

Cream Ale. I make mine with 2-row pale, generic minute rice and table sugar. S-05 dry yeast. Hopped with Saaz at 90 and 1 min. Super good. I think bmc drinkers will like this after they get past the surprising presence of taste in their beer.

Back