No krausen after 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast about 24 hours ago and the air lock was not moving. I popped open the bucket and there is no krausen! 😭

What did I do wrong? My thoughts are
1) I pitched the yeast when the wort was too hot. (I forgot to take a temp but the last one I remember was 90ish)
2) I did a BIAB and I should have made a starter. Final gravity was 1.058 on a 5 gallon batch
3) It's too cold in the fermentor. I have just a little thermometer in there and it says 60. However I moved the cooling element to a vertical position and over night it was parallel to about half the fermentor. I moved it back this morning in case it was too cold.
4) I've moved it around too much and it mixed the yeast up too much.

Thoughts and help from those more experienced then me will be greatly appreciated

Probably #1...But give it a bit more time...If you don't see any activity by hour 72 you probably will need to re-pitch the yeast...

Give it another 24. I think you'll be fine. There's a sticky thread here about it taking up to 72 hrs to show visible signs of fermentation.

I had no krausen in a Red Ale for almost two full days. Now it's looking nice and healthy.

None of those will keep it from getting going. Relax and let it ride. Don't mess with it for a week.

Just relax sometimes it can take up to 48hours to get going. One thing you can do to speed up the program is make sure you are oxygenating good before you pitch yeast It will speed up the process

This is what you need. Just hook it up to a small oxygen bottle from the home-depot give it about 30 seconds then turn off let settle for 30 seconds and hit one more time for 30 seconds then pitch yeast and your golden.

image.jpeg

How much does all that run? The next thing I really need is an immersion chiller. Yesterday's 3+ hour ice bath did not work for me. It may have helped show my wife why I need one though...

Immersion chiller is more necessary than oxygen. I haven't noticed a bit of difference since getting an oxygen setup. Dumping into the carboy has never given me problems.

Back