No Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hey all, it's my first time brewing and I am brewing all grain. After I batch sparged (following beersmith) I realized I didn't have the test tube for my hydrometer and had nothing long enough to put it in so it kept sinking to the bottom and I couldn't figure out the OG. I did an iodine test and saw that I had conversion, just don't know my efficiency. Am I totally screwed as to finding out what my abv will be?

Are you using a bucket or a carboy? If bucket just float the hydrometer in that before pitching your yeast, or at least very soon after.

If its already perking away well then yes, its pretty much to late....but really what does it matter...its still beer right?, and you should be able to guess within a .5% of what it is just by using 75% to 80% efficiency numbers as a general starting point.

Awesome, I am in the boil now. Using a bucket so I will just toss it in then and hope it's not too off. First brew so I'm crossing my fingers.

Post boil is the one your after anyway...It wont be off ...just remember to take the temperature of the wort as well because your hydrometer is calibrated for either 60 or 68 degrees. So you will need to correct for that .

AFWIW I just did a experiment on corrected temps....they are close enough for all but the anal retentive types.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582418

Great, now my thermometer broke as soon as I was cooling down the wort with my chiller.... The best luck tonight...

when you buy a new one, buy 2, and drinking and brewing don't mix ;)

The only thing I can think of for an emergency hydrometer tube is like the inside of a papertowel roll sealed with plastic wrap :)

I think I may pitched a bit too high, hopefully it didn't screw up the batch.

I got it into a swamp cooler basically right after I pitched lol. I think I got it down fairly nicely in the last hour. That thermometer breaking on me really threw me through a loop. Waterproof my ass....

I got it into a swamp cooler basically right after I pitched lol. I think I got it down fairly nicely in the last hour. That thermometer breaking on me really threw me through a loop. Waterproof my ass....

If you ever have that issue again, you don't have to rush pitching the yeast. I have on many occasions gotten the temp to 80, then put it in the bucket and sealed it, then pitched the next morning. If you sanitized well you shouldn't have any problems with leaving it yeast-less for 8-12hrs

I use the plastic tube that the hydrometer comes in. Just make sure your sample is cool so you don't melt the tube.

What's the point of brewing if your not drinking?;) You just got to pace yourself. :mug:

Because then you become like OP breaking hydrometers, hydrometer measuring vessels, murdering all your yeast because you couldn't wait to pitch... especially if you're just getting started.

:)

And some of us can't pace ourselves. ;)

Because then you become like OP breaking hydrometers, hydrometer measuring vessels, murdering all your yeast because you couldn't wait to pitch... especially if you're just getting started.

:)

And some of us can't pace ourselves. ;)

I never had any of those problems. :D Having a few helps to pass the time during the mash and boil. And reminds you what all this work is for. ;)

I never had any of those problems. :D Having a few helps to pass the time during the mash and boil. And reminds you what all this work is for. ;)

I don't drink and drive either so I guess I'm kinda a straight edge ;)

Back