No head space in bottle...problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
I assume it is, I was bottling last night a black IPA when the power went out (hence I have named it "Blackout") Anyway racking cane got jammed on last two bottles so through alt methods I bottled them and in the light of morning see there is no head space, I assume there has to be a little room or I will have bombs no?

In my experience you will see LESS bottle pressure without head space. The beer will still be carbonated, but you won't get a pfffssst when you open the bottle. Low head space = less pressure.

The bottles with too much head space are the ones that seem to "overpressure".

Odd and counter-intuitive, but this is my experience.

Lack of headspace should not, in itself, cause bombs.

The pressure in a bottle is caused by the CO2 created during fermentation in the bottle. If there is headspace in the bottle, then some of that CO2 will fill the headspace and will quickly escape the bottle when the cap is removed. If there is no headspace, the CO2 will stay in the beer. As long as there isn't too much CO2 produced, you won't have a bomb (ie, not over primed and original fermentation was complete).

Back