No hangover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
Why does it seem that hangovers are almost nonexistent with homebrew?

What is in commercial beer that makes me feel like I'm dying????

Maybe it is because you have to drink more BMC to get to the point where you think it is good. It could also be GIGO.

I've read that its because yeast is chocked full of b vitamins that help ease hangover effects. Most commercial beer is filtered because the majority of people don't like floaties in their beer.

This is also my subjective experience! I've actually contemplated a bit about this myself being professionally involved in studying human biology..

It's hard to determine whether it is just a placebo-effect or whether there's actually something to it.. Hangovers are for the most part a function of acetaldehyde-formation, dehydration and slight changes in blood electrolyte composition. I'd guess none of these effect are notably different between HB and commercial beer (although yeast do contain various vitamins and minerals).

I read somewhere that mineral based rehydration powder are a proven to take the edge of the headache and dizziness related to hangovers - the yeast present in many homebrew may do something similar..

Multiple confounding factors exists though (in my case at least).
  • I'm pretty sure I drink less home-brew than water-beer mainly because it is taste wise superior and hence more satisfactory!
  • I suppose I'd normally eat better, healthier, home cooked food in connection with drinking home-brews which may affect my overall hangover feeling..
  • I tend to drink and wash my glass in water in between tasting different home-brews to get the full experience - that may relieve some of the dehydration..

Hmmm, I've gotten a hangover after drinking a lot of HB. You're one of the lucky ones. :)

I haven't really noticed a difference, but it's been a while since I've drank more than 1 bottle of commercial beer at any time.

This reminds me to go check on the girl I gave a bottle of Belgian Golden Strong Ale to. When I told her it had kicked my ass, she really wanted to try it.

I've read that its because yeast is chocked full of b vitamins that help ease hangover effects. Most commercial beer is filtered because the majority of people don't like floaties in their beer.

This is exactly why. This is according to Charlie P. in one of the appendices in one of the editions of the complete joy of.... He explains that yeast is full of vitamin B complex which helps your body rehydrate (dehydration is why we get hangovers). So a good practice (that works for me) is after you pour your beer, swirl around the yeast in the bottle and drink it, then before you go to bed (or earlier) drink a big glass of water.

I've had bad hangovers with both homebrew and commercial. I think for me at least the beers that gave me hangovers where fermented hot and produced fusel alcohols. They were all belgian that were fermented at 74 or higher...

This is exactly why. This is according to Charlie P. in one of the appendices in one of the editions of the complete joy of.... He explains that yeast is full of vitamin B complex which helps your body rehydrate (dehydration is why we get hangovers). So a good practice (that works for me) is after you pour your beer, swirl around the yeast in the bottle and drink it, then before you go to bed (or earlier) drink a big glass of water.

OMG fart city waiting to happen right there.

OMG fart city waiting to happen right there.

Initially yes, but your gi tract should adjust to it if consumed regularly. B6 and b12 are leached from your body by alcohol consumption. Multi vitamin+b-complex vitamin(or yeast)+ talk glass of water, add sleep, wake up refreshed. Do it whenever you drink and you'll automatically do it on the nights you need it the most.

You can trust me, I'm a professional. Lol.

I've sought out the gentle solace of a cold tile floor after imbibing homebrew on more than one occasion. My brews apparently lack this magical hangover preventing property.

Latest posts

Back