No Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo_911

Reaction score
It's been about 20 hours in the primary and still no action to speak of. I'm afraid the wort was too warm when i pitched the yeast (I broke the thermometer prior to brewing) and may have killed the yeast. I have an extra vial of liquid yeast at hand...should I just throw it into the carboy? Do I need to aerate again? Should I keep waiting? :confused:

I would give it until about 36 hours, then, if there is still no activity, pitch the new yeast. I've had a batch take about a day and a half to get started and it turned out fine.

At the same time, I think that you could probably just pitch the new yeast now if you're impatient with no ill effects. good luck!

Edit: Either way, I don't think you need to aerate again.

I would give it at least 48 hours. Is there any chance that it did ferment and you maybe missed it? The reason I ask is because I didnt think my last batch was fermetning as there was no airlock activity, but when I opened the lid I could see that there was a very nice fermentation...I think the bulk of it happened while I was at work.

If you do decide to repitch, do not re-aerate.

I pitched some lager yeast in a batch at 65 degrees -- and brought it down to 58 within hours.

Fermentation took like 2-3 days to start.

i've got a blowoff tube attached and there's no bubbles or any indication of fermentation in the carboy. This is my fourth batch and I've never had it take this long to reach fermentation. Maybe it's an altitude issue (i'm living at 7,700 feet)??? I'll give it a while longer then pitch the new yeast.

Thanks all!!!

See my thread and poll on the subject http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28634
Consensus was wait 3 days. My batch that started the thread took about 2.5 days before I saw signs of fermenting.

Still adding additional yeast probably won't hurt. I would wait the 3 days before I went out and bought more yeast or used a backup that was of a different strain.

Craig

Back