No fermentation after 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonySwank

Reaction score
I started a batch last week and there has been no fermentation as of yet. I've been keeping and eye out for air bubbles and have not seen any. I was hoping that I just didn't have an airtight seal, but I tested the specific gravity today and it is at 1.050, which was the starting point.

I've read through the forums quite a bit but I wanted to try and get some feedback from you guys.

This is only the second time I've used liquid yeast and I didn't use a starter.

Any input and what I did wrong and if/how to save the beer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming this is an extract brew? What was your pitching temp? What was the exp. date on the yeast?

Well, that not good. Probably a bad batch of yeast. Do you have any other yeast laying around? If not, can you get some soon? Most of us keep a few packets of dry yeast for situations like this. Nottingham is my go to yeast and it's always in my fridge.

Welcome to HBT! Wish it could be under better circumstances.

In some respects, this is better than the usual problems of stuck fermentation. You can pitch a new packet of yeast and it should work okay. No worry about pitching into partially fermented beer.

In some respects, this is better than the usual problems of stuck fermentation. You can pitch a new packet of yeast and it should work okay. No worry about pitching into partially fermented beer.

The "usual problem of stuck ferementation" is that the person posting never took a hydrometer reading before posting...this is an exception to the rule around here...99% of the people who start one of these stuck or dead fermentation threads and doesn't have a reading mentioned in his initial post...more than likely never took one before posting....and usually when they take one, they realize that that is the only way to diagnose a problem...or get relief.

This on the other hand sounds like a true stuck fermentation...but I would like to know what kind of yeast it is, and what temp it is at....

Type and temp will help us help you.

:mug:

Thanks for the quick responses,

It is an extract brew, I'm not sure of the pitching temp so it may have been a little warm (I'm guessing that's where my problem is), it's been in 70-75 degrees since then.

It's a liquid yeast "White Labs Pitchable Liquid Yeast" either the WLP001 California Ale Yeast or the WLP051 California Ale V Yeast, I can't remember. Yeast should have been good through August.

White Labs

I've got Hefeweizen and Belgian White liquid yeasts around. Can I add one of those and still be ok? I could add those if need or I could run by the homebrew store this week and get some more. The beer in question is an amber (fat tire knock off).

Here is what it looks like tonight

3423036844_01d1215280.jpg

After I checked the specific gravity last night I just shook the hell out of it and today I'm seeing some air bubbles. Not sure exactly what happened but it looks like it might be on it's way now.

Back