No Diastatic power on RIS recipe? Enlighten me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryJohn

Reaction score
9 lbs DME
2 lbs amber malt
1.25 lbs roasted barley
8 oz black malt

Here is the grain bill for the partial extract version for Stone's RIS clone recipe. Looking up these types of malt online, I find the Amber, Roasted, and Black malt all have no diastatic power to convert themselves.

How is this recipe possible? What am I not understanding?

they are specialty malts all converted or denatured by the malting/roasting process. Much like the extract.

that is to say there is nothing to convert and/or are non fermentable.

I'd say that's an extract with steeping grains recipe, not a partial mash. It'd be easy to swap out some DME for 2-row to make it a PM though.

edit: Or gila could just be right. :D

They are there for flavoring more than anything else. If you swapped 1.5 lbs of 2-row for a pound of the DME, you'll get some conversion out of the amber, but not much.

they are specialty malts all converted or denatured by the malting/roasting process. Much like the extract.

that is to say there is nothing to convert and/or are non fermentable.

Ok, so its kind of like the caramel malt, just has to be steeped?

I'd say that's an extract with steeping grains recipe, not a partial mash. It'd be easy to swap out some DME for 2-row to make it a PM though.

Depends largely on how low the Amber was roasted. Long and low would maintain diastase in Amber but not much. Higher is faster and more efficient at passing through kilns so I am betting on that.

Actually I think that would make it an AG recipe...oh wait you said "some"...nevermind I'm just slow.

Back