No Crystal Malt APA? Just 2-Row and Vienna?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing an Am Pale ale this weekend with no crystal malt. I really like the light colored, drier, crisp APA's and, I have a bunch of base malts on hand from a recent group buy.

I was thinking just Canadian Superior Pale Malt (or similar Brit style pale malt) 2-row, Vienna, and maybe a bit of flaked barley for head/body. I know a lot of people on here have used a high percentage of vienna / all vienna in their brews (search is your friend!) , just wanted some advice, guidance, and general impressions, as I never have. (I also have Pils malt I could use instead for base.) Looking specifically for advice on the grain bill (percentages), mash schedule, hop schedule, yeast selection.

Here's what I tentatively have :

Batch size: 11 Gals.
Style: APA
Starting gravity: 1.050-1.052
IBU: 38 (Rager) .76 Bitterness ratio

Mash temp: 153 (?) for 60 mins.

Yeast: S05 in both carboys, or S05 in one and Notty in the other

64% (14#) Superior Pale Ale malt
32% (7#) Vienna Malt
4% (1#) Flaked barley

All whole leaf:
2.00 oz Pearle [7.10 %] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [7.10 %] (20 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.70 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Glacier [5.70 %] (0 min) Hops -

Thanks, All!! :mug:

I haven't used any crystal when brewing APA/IPA for a while. It's just 75% 2-row or MO and 25% Vienna. IMO, you wont need any flaked barley either.

I'v recently been adding a small amount (12oz) of biscuit or victory malt to my ipa's. It really adds a nice background flavor. Nothing at all wrong with just vienna though. I personally wouldn't use flaked barley in an ipa. If you can't get sufficient body through the mash, carapils will do the same thing and allow the beer to clear up.

_

Yeah, I usually use carapils, but I happen to have a bunch of flaked barley left from a previous batch, and I have been using it lately in the place of carapils with good results. I find that if I keep it under 5% I can still get a clear beer.

Maybe I will try it without the Carapils/Flaked barley this time, and mash a little higher 154-155 to get the body.

Vienna in an APA is the only way to go in my opinion. I use around 20-30% for a nice orange hue and a wonderful sweet/malty flavor that IMO complements American hops very well. I actually moved away from a 50/50 mix of MO and American 2-row to the Vienna and 2-row and haven't looked back.

Sounds like maybe I should back down the percentage of Vienna to 25% +/- and drop the barley completely or to just 1/2 pound.

Thanks for the advice so far!

What are you mashing at, Steelers77 for your APA's with that grain bill?

I'd move the flameout additions to dry hop. You'll be pleased with the aroma.

I have pretty much quit using Carapils and in most cases Crystal in my IPA and APA. I found that I just don't need the addition for mouth feel or head retention. On occasion I will use 10% or less of 30 or 50 L Crystal because I like the taste. I have also been using up to 25% Victory or Vienna depending on how much I want to try and balance my hop and malt profile.

I see nothing wrong with a no crystal APA or IPA. It totally works well in an IPA. I think an APA can use a little, but it will be a great beer regardless.

Consider mashing around 154-155. You'll want some dextrines in the beer, or you'll have a really dry pale ale (unless that's what you're after)

How did the beer turn out? I'm getting set to brew a similar APA and I'm a little worried I wont get the rocky head I want for this beer without using some sort of crystal or dextrin.

My neighbor and I did a Vienna SMaSH, he liked it so much he tries to keep it on tap all the time as his "house blonde".
I don't remember any head/body issues - Vienna is one of my faves, seems to be very versatile

How did the beer turn out? I'm getting set to brew a similar APA and I'm a little worried I wont get the rocky head I want for this beer without using some sort of crystal or dextrin.

I like the way my IPAs and APAs taste and the way they feel without the crystal or the carapils. I do include some Victory or usally Vienna for malt flavor when I cut the crystal. I have never had any trouble with head in any of my light beers (the local water) so that was never a consideration.

I can't comment yet on the taste.... haven't kegged it yet! But, I will do so this week. I split the batch into 2 carboys, pitched one with S05 and the other with Notty. Fermentation appeared to be pretty normal. I am surprised it came out darker than what I suspected it would

I will report back here soon with the results!

Back