No carbonation in my Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightguy

Reaction score
Is it possible that the yeast got pooped out since it was a high gravity beer? I lagered my Tripel for a month at 54 F just as instructed, and it has been sitting at room temp for about a week now. There is absolutely NO CARBONATION whatsoever!

Should I sprinkle some fresh yeast in each bottle? BTW, I used Cooper's Carbonation Drops

I was concerned about my Tripel as well. After two weeks held at ferment temperature the bottles were showing a frighteningly low level of carbonation. However at about a month they are nearing full carbonation. Next time, I will probably add a sprinkling of lager yeast the day before bottling to allow them to carbonate in the cellar. You really don't need a tremendous amount of yeast when it comes to priming, but in the case of my high starting gravity brews it seems that they just take longer. Most likely yeast dormancy.

Yeah, it has been 5 weeks, but 4 of those were at a cooler temp, which will take longer to carbonate. Most big beers take more time to carbonate due to the higher alcohol level-yeast don't like to work too hard when they are stressed due to higher alcohol levels. Let it go for about 1 month minimum at room temp and go from there.

avidhomebrewer said:
Yeah, it has been 5 weeks, but 4 of those were at a cooler temp, which will take longer to carbonate. Most big beers take more time to carbonate due to the higher alcohol level-yeast don't like to work too hard when they are stressed due to higher alcohol levels. Let it go for about 1 month minimum at room temp and go from there.
Thanks for elaborating. So it would be a bad idea to sprinkle fresh yeast in the bottles?

those big belgian beers take a lot of time. the yeast have trouble getting to those sugars in the heavy alcohol. i would have repitched before you bottled, but i would still give them some time before trying to pitch more yeast. give them a month at room temp.

I agree, if you were using a belgian yeast, those few weeks at 54F probably didn't lead to much carbonation. I'd give a couple more weeks.

Obviously it's too late to pitch more yeast, but when I have made big Belgian's, I didn't pitched any fresh yeast at bottling time and let them go for a couple months before trying and the carbonation level was adequate. The bigger the beer, the more time it needs to condition/carbonate.

Yah agreed with Homebrewer. Some of the best Tripels ive had including the Scratch 8 from Troegs that came out this week, are barely carbonated. Belgium beers live in the taste not the carb like US beers do.

homebrewer_99 said:
Are you aware that most big brews like trippels are only slightly carbonated? You're not making an American Pilsner or a Weizen...;)
Weird. Every tripel I've ever had has been very carbonated...well beyond the American beer standard of 2.6-2.7 volumes.

Most Belgian beers carb high. For comparison, Troegs carbs at 2.65 volumes CO2. Westmalle, 3-4 volumes; Orval, 5 volumes; Duvel, 4.25 volumes; Rochefort, 3.5 volumes.

I agree with the others saying "give it time." I was worried about my tripel for the first couple of months, but now, 7 months later, it pours with a big, rocky head and the carbonation is spot on.

homebrewer_99 said:
Are you aware that most big brews like trippels are only slightly carbonated? You're not making an American Pilsner or a Weizen...;)

Commercial examples or homebrew? All the big commercial Belgians I've had, tripples, strong golden ales, etc., have all been highly carbed - I would guess 3-4 volumes. Can't recall a difference between bottle-carbed and force-carbed examples, either.

Back