No bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMillionDreams

Reaction score
I made a Bells Oberon Clone two days ago and the airlock is not bubbling yet. I can't figure out what I could've done wrong. I used liquid wyeast for the first time but I'm pretty sure I followed the directions. Help!

Did you aerate before you pitched? How much yeast did you pitch? What temp did you pitch at? What temp are you fermenting at?

48 hours is a bit long. Check and see if you might have missed the fermentation. You could repitch if there has been no fermentation.

I'm a little hazy on the concept of aeration. Because there can be too much aeration, right? I dump the brew pot into the fermenting bucket and topped it off water, I've always relied on that to aerate my wort. I pitched the whole vial. I pitched at 72F and I'm fermenting at 68F.

fermentation does not rely upon bubbling. if you really want to make sure, check the gravity. after two days there should be some change. if not, repitch. :mug:

Your aeration sounds good. You should have had some action by now. I would check and see if it fermented. You may have just missed it. Look for the krausen ring in the fermenter.

It could quite easily take 2 - 3 days (and possibly more if the yeast was old) to start fermenting if you didn't make a starter, so you just need to be patient.

-a.

First RELAX!!!!! You have new brewer's anxiety, nothing more. Your beer is fine.

#1 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

As already stated in the linked sticky, Fermentation often can take up to three days to start. And by visible signs they do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

I don't see anything by what you are saying to indicate that your fermentation actually wasn't. All I see is that your airlock wasn't bubbling, and that you didn't take a gravity reading before panicking and and starting this thread.

BUT without a gravity reading all you are telling me is that your airlock wasn't bubbling....That is NOT the same thing as a fermentation happening.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

In your case, more than likely hadn't even started yet, or that it was working fine, and just didn't need to vent any co2 yet.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

Next time, wait 72 hours, and then take a grav reading, what happens to 99% of the nervous new brewers like you, is that when they open their bucket to take the reading, they see a beautiful krauzen on top of the beer, which means that fermentation is indeed happening.

Yeasts just don't "NOT WORK" these days. That's an old idea from 30 years ago, not the reality these days. Given enough time the yeast does what it needs to do.

Now......
Stepaway_copy.jpg

:mug:

One other thing - this is one I've learned from experience, and even an experienced brewer can have this happen. Do you have enough vodka or whatever you use in your air lock to float the, well the floating piece? I thought I had a "stuck ferment" once and it was just an insufficiently filed air lock.

Airlock tightness is important. I started my Belgian With the other day (I used a starter), by the end of the night I noticed krausen but no bubbling from my blow off tube. Woke up in the morning about 1.5" of karausen but still no bubbles. I tightened the hose and they are bubbling furiously.

Relax, sometimes these things just take their time to get started.

I'm a little hazy on the concept of aeration. Because there can be too much aeration, right? I dump the brew pot into the fermenting bucket and topped it off water, I've always relied on that to aerate my wort. I pitched the whole vial. I pitched at 72F and I'm fermenting at 68F.

Glad it's going now- but keep in mind a couple of things. First, you can't aerate too much. Not unless you have pure 02 and are injecting it. If you're just pouring and topping off with water, you're nowhere close to aerating too much. Probably not enough, actually. You should make sure you get a nice foamy head on the beer, shaking the fermenter or using an aquarium pump for 30 minutes. That would be adequate. Pouring and topping off is better than not doing it, but not optimum that's for sure.

Secondly, if the beer is sitting at 68, and fermentation has started, it'll probably go up significantly since fermentation is exothermic. When we talk about fermentation temperature, we're talking about the temperature of the fermenting wort. So, the beer temperature was 68 when fermentation started. The fermentation temperature will be what the temperature is during active fermentation. You may want to keep an eye on it so it doesn't go any higher.

It could quite easily take 2 - 3 days (and possibly more if the yeast was old) to start fermenting if you didn't make a starter, so you just need to be patient.

-a.

Yep. Without a starter with liquid yeast, it could easily take 72 hours to get going for a "regular" beer. With a "bigger" beer, it might take longer.

What? I thought you could aerate too much especially after fermentation starts.

Well, after fermentation starts you don't want to aerate your beer. But before fermentation, oxygen is required for yeast. Poor aeration is bad for the yeast, in short. The first thing the yeast do is reproduce, which is an aerobic activity. They need oxygen to do this. After fermentation starts, aeration will lead to oxidation. But before fermentation, a typical homebrewer can NOT aerate too much. Room air is only about 21% oxygen, so you could shake it and/or use an aquarium pump all day long, and still not overaerate. With shaking for an extended time or an aquarium pump for 30 minutes, you could get very good results. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-2.html

A short, but very good, explanation between oxidation and oxygenation is here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

Back