No bubbles in air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almarks

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed my first batch 3 days ago and I havent ever seen any bubbles in the air lock. Normal? Need to take hydrometer reading? Not sure what to do, maybe I am just impatient lol. The beer is an english brown ale and has been at or around 72-74 degrees for the past 3 days. Also I didnt have a hydrometer during the brewing so I dont have an OG reading.

sometimes things can get off to a slow start, not unheard of. in some cases the bucket lid or carboy bung could have a leak. also dont go off of air-lock bubbles, buy the hydrometer they are cheap and a necessity for learning and growth. good luck cheers

It is a brand new bucket and lid from a brew shop but thats not to say it still couldn't be a leaky seal. So you think I should take a gravity reading? What should it be around?

Let it go for 10 days, take a hydrometer reading and I bet you will be surprised. If you really need piece of mind, pop the lid and look for krausen.

Well couldnt resist, took a peek lol here is what it looked like and i went ahead and took a sample to take a reading on. S.G. Reading is 1.008-1.010 at 3 days is this normal? Seems low to me if the final on the instructions says 1.011-1.015 and the OG is 1.045-1.049

image-443531521.jpg

Is your reading temp adjusted? That's not out of the ordinary to reach near your FG in a few days. Looks good. Leaky bucket.

Looks and sounds fine to me. Often final gravity its reached a lot quicker than you'd think. You probably fermented a little on the warm side, I'd let it go in primary another week at least to let the yeast clean up.

pabloj13 said:
Is your reading temp adjusted? That's not out of the ordinary to reach near your FG in a few days. Looks good. Leaky bucket.

Good call with the adjusted temp its 1.010-1.012. What makes you say leaky bucket?

Kaz said:
Looks and sounds fine to me. Often final gravity its reached a lot quicker than you'd think. You probably fermented a little on the warm side, I'd let it go in primary another week at least to let the yeast clean up.

Awesome! I was kind of afraid of that. Thats why I went out and got me a used fridge so I can control the temp a lil better next time :)

Sounds good thanks for the input.

Are you an advocate of secondaries? I think I want to transfer it to the secondary so I can get it a little more clear for bottling.

Also the beer is an English Brown Ale with the dry packet yeast that came with the brewers best kit. I re-hydrated it before putting it in the wort.

Kaz said:

+1 on that. And your beer is fine may be a touch higher in the ester categorie, but gives character. Enjoy it man.

Good call with the adjusted temp its 1.010-1.012. What makes you say leaky bucket?

You fermented from the 1.040something to 1.10 in 3 days with no airlock activity. That's a leaky bucket seal. Doesn't mean anything. It just is what it is. I prefer carboys because I like to watch fermentation happen, but buckets work fine too. I just wouldn't age anything long term in that bucket (or any bucket for that matter).

basilchef said:
+1 on that. And your beer is fine may be a touch higher in the ester categorie, but gives character. Enjoy it man.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it! Not familiar with ester category tho?

almarks said:
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it! Not familiar with ester category tho?

Esters are volatile flavors created naturally during fermentation. often fruity (i.e. Banana), spicy (i.e. Clove) or floral. A blessing and a curse depending on the beer style.

pabloj13 said:
You fermented from the 1.040something to 1.10 in 3 days with no airlock activity. That's a leaky bucket seal. Doesn't mean anything. It just is what it is. I prefer carboys because I like to watch fermentation happen, but buckets work fine too. I just wouldn't age anything long term in that bucket (or any bucket for that matter).

Right on that makes sense, the co2 ha to go somewhere.....

basilchef said:
Esters are volatile flavors created naturally during fermentation. often fruity (i.e. Banana), spicy (i.e. Clove) or floral. A blessing and a curse depending on the beer style.

Ah, I gotcha! Yes I can see where that could make or break the flavor of the brew! Thanks man still a big learning curve for me I will take any and all input I can get!! :)

I'd suggest taking another reading in a couple days. Let it sit in the primary for a few days. A very rough rule of thumb that works well for me: two weeks in the primary. I figure the first week works for primary fermentation, then the second week to let the yeast clean up the flavor a bit.

Very important rule: don't rely on bubbles in your airlock to determine if fermentation is taking place. The ONLY way to detect fermentation is with SG readings.

It sounds like you've done a good job. Enjoy that first beer --I know my first one sucked.

hercher said:
I'd suggest taking another reading in a couple days. Let it sit in the primary for a few days. A very rough rule of thumb that works well for me: two weeks in the primary. I figure the first week works for primary fermentation, then the second week to let the yeast clean up the flavor a bit.

Very important rule: don't rely on bubbles in your airlock to determine if fermentation is taking place. The ONLY way to detect fermentation is with SG readings.

It sounds like you've done a good job. Enjoy that first beer --I know my first one sucked.

Nice, thanks man!! Do you use a secondary on your brews? If so how long do you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?

would depend on style and such and what you're going for. but at the very least you should give it a week or two if impatience doesn't get the better of you. if you already have your fridge and temp control set up go ahead and secondary it in that and make sure it works ;) if you've already hit your fg, secondary is really just for xxx-hopping wood/fruit additions, getting a lager off the yeast cake, et cetera...

3-3-3 weeks will generally produce good, clear beer.

Sounds like a leak to me too! Should be able to pick up a new lid for 10-12$ at your LHBS. Also airlock activity isn't the bible, hydrometer son! Last beer only bubbled for a half day or so. But make sure you leave that beer in the primary for at least 10 more days, the yeast need to finish up their job to make that beer tasty!

Meh, don't worry about the leak. I ferment in a bucket using a lid from another so it just sits on top or a ceramic crock with a piece of hard plastic sheet over it.The yeast are constantly producing C02 so the positive pressure in the bucket will actually be keeping any airborne particles out of the fermenter!

Nice, thanks man!! Do you use a secondary on your brews? If so how long do you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?

There are several threads on whether to use a secondary or not. I don't bottle (kegging is so much quicker), but I don't use a secondary. It just seems unnecessary, to me. However, if I did bottle, I probably would use one to remove as much yeast and other particulate matter as possible.

Back