No aeration needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmthomas_13

Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA for a wedding reception next weekend. Brew day went normal, but due to being in a big hurry, I completely forgot to aerate my wort at all. I do not have an oxygen setup, so normally aeration involves me shaking the carboy for a few minutes. The brew was 5lb. 2row and 5 lb. maris otter with o.g. of 1.063 brewed on june 27th. I was very worried after not aerating and a short time table, but lo and behold f.g. is down to 1.006! My yeast was US-05 pack on a stir plate for about 20 hrs. prior to pitching. Has anyone else had what appears to be a full fermentation with no aeration of the wort?

To tell you the truth, I've never aerated... The closest thing I've done is pouring the wort through a strainer. I've been contemplating an aeration system when I get my 10gal system going, but now I'm not totally sure.

I'm sure that aeration will help, probably as much as a solid starter. So far though, I've been pretty lucky without.

Glad to hear your batch turned out awesome!

I also don't aerate. Or at least not intentionally. Every once in a while I'll do it just because why the hell not. But 95% of the time I don't. Never really noticed a difference.

At worst your beer might be a little less flavorful than normal, but at 1.063 with US-05 I wouldn't worry as that has a very clean flavor anyway. You get a certain amount of aeration just siphoning the beer over to the carboy or bucket, after all.

From my understanding, you either need to aerate well (to help with yeast reproduction) or just pitch a good amount of healthy yeast to begin with. Since it sounds like you did the latter, the former was not necessary.

:)

I don't aerate. And I don't do starters. I brew 5 gallon batches. I'm sure somewhere that'll catch up to me. But until then, simplicity is bliss.

I used to not aerate at all and vigourous fermentation started after like 3 days. Now I shake my fermentor for 5 minutes, pitch my rehydrated dry yeast then shake for 5 more minutes. Now my vigorous fermentation starts after 6 hours. Since I leave my beer in the primary for 3 weeks, it's not a huge deal for me; but for somebody who is trying to ferment in, say, 10 days it might make a difference for quicker fermentation.

In general, low wort oxygen, which contributes to low yeast growth, can cause sluggish fermentation as well as increased ester, SO2, acetaldehyde and diacetyl formation. This really isn't an issue if you are pitching a sufficient amount of healthy, active yeast (based on wort gravity, wort composition, and other factors).

The easiest way to test whether aeration would make a difference in a particular beer would be to split a batch in half, aerate one half and do not aerate the other. Keeping all other conditions the same, evaluate the fermentation, flavor and aroma characteristics of each beer. Many homebrewers say that they have no need to aerate or create starters and the beer turns out fine, but sometimes you may be leaving a lot of quality on the table.

Also, the longer your fermentation takes to get going the greater the risk that bacteria or wild yeast will be able to get a foothold and ruin your beer.

From my understanding, you either need to aerate well (to help with yeast reproduction) or just pitch a good amount of healthy yeast to begin with. Since it sounds like you did the latter, the former was not necessary.

:)

Not really. You need to both aerate and pitch the proper amount for the best results. Oxygen is necessary for the yeast to have healthy reproduction, if the yeast reproduction is unhealthy it can produce off flavors and if the yeast is unable to reproduce at all the fermentation will fail. Overpitching can prevent off flavors even in oxygen poor beer since there's enough initial yeast that not a lot of reproduction is necessary, the issue is that a lot of desirable esters and flavors are produced when the yeast reproduce so if you're making a beer dependent on yeast flavor (like, say, a saison or a hefeweizen) then overpitching and underaerating can be a serious issue.

TL;DR: Always pitch the proper amount of yeast and aerate your beer for the best results.

Danstar's instructions state that aeration is completely unnecessary, but that it doesn't hurt. I haven't found a statement one way or the other from Fermentis - just a reference to aeration, but nothing about being necessary. But when I improved my aeration, it seemed to solve my chronic high FG problem. Average FG on a 1.045 - 1.050 beer went from 1.020 to 1.009, using both Danstar and Fermentis yeast. I would think that shows that aeration is necessary, except for the fact that Danstar certainly knows a lot about their yeast. Since Danstar agrees that it doesn't hurt, I continue to aerate, but I agree with the other posters that your beer should be fine.

I dont do starters (if i use liquid yeast i pitch at least 2 vials/5 gallons) ive noticed faster more vigorous fermentation when the wort is aerated.
The most useless thing i have ever heard of in homebrewing is rehydrating US05.

The most useless thing i have ever heard of in homebrewing is rehydrating US05.

Except it's not useless, there is a valid reason for doing so. The yeast in spore form can't regulate whats flowing in/out of across their cell membranes.
Pitching dry yeast without rehydrating will cause some of the spores to die. Maybe it was John Palmer who said up to 50%. I don't know if tahts accuarte, but even if its a 20% death rate, whats so hard about rehydrating?
Rehyrdating gives the yeast a chance to wake up.

Here's the thing.

The instructions on the yeast pack available to homebrewers is different than the instructions for pros. In terms of aeration, pitching rate, and with dry yeast, rehydration. But, it's the same yeast, going into the same wort. Differences do to pressure and batch size aside, there's no magical difference. The reason is, you can make a batch of drinkable homebrew pitching your unhydrated dry yeast right on top without aeration. But flavor will suffer. And even if flavor doesn't suffer, subsequent repitching will suffer. Now, if you don't repitch, and you're making a starter with your dry yeast, then it's probably not an issue. However, I wouldn't repitch from that. And repitching is a big deal for me (as it is for pretty much every pro brewer ever). And no pro brewer in their right mind would do that either, because the result wouldn't be a) profitable or b) up to commercial quality. All that stuff about "don't rehydrate" or "one smack pack before expiration is good for 5 gallons up to 1.060" is rubbish if you're actually serious about your beer.

That said, if you pitched dry yeast that was on a stir plate, your cell count was likely high enough that you didn't need to really aerate, and simply transferring from kettle to fermenter may have been enough. That's not my preferred style of brewing, but you're probably ok in that respect. Going forward, not sure why you'd make a starter with your dry yeast when you can just pitch two rehydrated packs (on the rare occasion you actaully need to) and call it a day. Under most circumstances, making a starter with dry yeast could easily delve into overpitching.

It's a good idea to aerate. Yeast can metabolize sugar much more efficiently in the presence of oxygen.

It's a good idea to aerate. Yeast can metabolize sugar much more efficiently in the presence of oxygen.

Actually, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (SC) is a facultative anaerobe (tolerates Oxygen), and in the presence of a glucose solution of > 0.5% will ferment and not respire (use Oxygen for metabolizing sugar) even if there is Oxygen in the wort. This is due to the Crabtreee Effect. If the glucose concentration drops below 0.3% the yeast will use oxygen to make ATP by aerobic respiration.
Respiration is much more efficient than fermentation, but that's what SC does in the presence of glucose regardless of if Oxygen is present.

The Oxygen is needed early on to produce Sterols to build up the yeast cell walls, not for respiration.

(I saw mention of the Pasteur Effect which may cause some SC respiration if the Oxygen levels are extremely high, but I don't know anything about it)

Back