No Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superkrai

Reaction score
1) Brewed an Irish Red Ale on 1/24.
2) Nottingham Ale Yeast in at 62 degrees and within 2 hours temp stabilized at 68 degrees. Use FTSs and temp has remained between 66 and 70 degrees the whole time.
3) have not seen or heard an activity for 5 days now. Using blow off tube with no visible bubbling and I use a Ssbrewtech bucket so cannot see inside.

Tonight decided to take a reading and results are attached. SG was 1.055 and current is 0.999. Is this possible?
Screenshot_20190128-231301.jpeg

Signs point toward
1. misreading the hydrometer or refractometer,
2. accidentally adding glucoamylase,
3. contamination leading to super-attenuation,
4. you accidentally used table sugar instead of malt extract, or
5. aliens.

Signs point toward
5. aliens.
1) Using refractometer and drew 3 samples because I thought I could have had a bad reading as well bit came up.with same result each time. And I did check calibration as well
2) forgive my ignorance but what is glucoamylase?
3) maybe contamination, pretty good with my sanitation procedures but it could happen
4) definitely did not add table sugar
5) [emoji23][emoji23] maybe

The conversion formulas make certain assumptions and then predict the FG based on the input plus their assumptions. I'd suspect that something isn't quite right with the assumptions. Use a hydrometer if you need to know the FG, otherwise just check it again in a couple days to verify it isn't changing.

"SG was 1.055 and current is 0.999"
Possible, maybe. 5 days is very fast for full fermentation and clean up time, but yeast works on its own schedule when its happy.
If your hydrometer test was at the calibrated temps, Id call it done.

You first need to make a calculation to correct your refractometer for the presence of alcohol. The final gravity readings that you are using are not accurate.

You first need to make a calculation to correct your refractometer for the presence of alcohol. The final gravity readings that you are using are not accurate.
It would typically read high rather than low, right?

I don't use one. They don't seem reliable and there's no problems for me using a hydrometer.

It would typically read high rather than low, right?

I don't use one. They don't seem reliable and there's no problems for me using a hydrometer.

I do believe it should read high, but I don't know that as fact. I use my refractometer for brew day, never for after the yeast is pitched. Unless just to look for stable gravity numbers, not the actual value.

I thought the northern brewer site took care of all those calculations for me.

All EXCEPT for the refractometer calculation for the presence of alcohol. The NB calculator is assuming you are using a hydrometer to get your measurement.
you need to use a calculator that factors/corrects alcohol into it.
Look at the screenshot from the OP. It clearly shows 5 Brix being converted to s.g. 0.999.
It's obviously attempting to make an appropriate conversion for alcohol, no?

Whether that's accurate, who knows?
I would strongly suggest using a hydrometer. Suck it up and pull a sample.
When things don't make sense look at the most obvious source of error.

Last edited:
Look at the screenshot from the OP. It clearly shows 5 Brix being converted to s.g. 0.999.
It's obviously attempting to make an appropriate conversion for alcohol, no?

Whether that accurate, who knows?
I would strongly suggest using a hydrometer. Suck it up and pull a sample.
When things don't make sense look at the most obvious source of error.

Missed that, it seems like it is. But there is something seriously wrong since beer won't be thinner than water..... The lowest FG I have ever measured in beer was 1.004

Keep your refractometer with your other brewing gear as a reminder that it is only useful on brew day. A hydrometer is much cheaper and far more useful than a refractometer.

0.998 for my Brut IPA batch #2

Missed that, it seems like it is. But there is something seriously wrong since beer won't be thinner than water..... The lowest FG I have ever measured in beer was 1.004

Signs point toward
5. aliens.
7. Forgot to mention that this was an Irish Red Cider

Not a Saison guy, huh?

have not seen or heard an activity for 5 days now.

Your readings obviously indicate fermentation took place. You may not have heard or seen evidence of it outside the fermenter possibly because CO2 was escaping undetectably because it took a different route somewhere before it got to the blow-off tube? Bung/lid/stopper sealing issue?

1.010 with hydrometer. Took a reading with refractometer as well and it came up with same result as the 1st time.

Tastes fine. Odd thing is it almost feels slightly carbonated.
20190131_143317.jpeg

True, I guess the amount of carbonation is just a little more than I'm used to.

Back