No action in the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CezarJozay

Reaction score
So I brewed for the first time yesterday. Everything went well, atleast in my opinion. It's a 5 gal batch of Belgian Blonde. I rehydrated a pack of SafBrew T-58 in a cup of water and 2tsp of sugar. It was bubbling and active when I did that. Where I think I might have made a mistake is that I pitched the yeast when my wort was still about 75-80°F could that have killed of the yeast? It's only been about 12 hours but I see no bubbling at all. Wondering if you guys think I should repitch another packet of yeast or let it be for a couple days?

80 degree water wouldn't kill the yeast. They'd love it at that temperature. Too much in fact - its best to keep the fermentation at a lower temperature to slow down the fermenting activity and reduce the off flavors associated with a quick, high temp fermentation.

This seems like a textbook case of the need to RDWHHB. Just be patient, you should be fine.

Give it more time, 75-80 won't kill the yeast as far as I know but someone more experienced than me might have more insight.

The sugar may have caused some damage to the yeast but there will probably be enough healthy cells to take care of the fermentation. Wait up to another 24 hours before beginning to panic.

Rehydrate yeast in water containing minerals. Untreated well water or bottled spring water.

Try to get temp lower before pitching if possible in the future though

I'm betting that, after 36 hours, it was bubbling away happily. I'm sure there was no issue other than expecting action after 12 hours.

Got an update?

I'm betting that, after 36 hours, it was bubbling away happily. I'm sure there was no issue other than expecting action after 12 hours.

Got an update?

Update: All is well! it started bubbling away after the first day (after I added more starsan to the airlock, details below). It bubbled vigorously for about 48 hours and now is just chugging along steadily:ban:. I do have one concern (I'm starting to feel like a worry-wart). I filled my airlock with starsan at the beginning and then some either went in the beer or evaporated with the bubbles. I didn't notice at first so there was a good 10 hours where there wasn't enough sanitizer to stop air from coming in, that is also why i didn't see any bubbling for a while. My question now is, is there any chance it could have gotten infected during that 10 hour window that air could get in? Or am I just worrying too much? :confused:

Update: All is well! it started bubbling away after the first day (after I added more starsan to the airlock, details below). It bubbled vigorously for about 48 hours and now is just chugging along steadily:ban:. I do have one concern (I'm starting to feel like a worry-wart). I filled my airlock with starsan at the beginning and then some either went in the beer or evaporated with the bubbles. I didn't notice at first so there was a good 10 hours where there wasn't enough sanitizer to stop air from coming in, that is also why i didn't see any bubbling for a while. My question now is, is there any chance it could have gotten infected during that 10 hour window that air could get in? Or am I just worrying too much? :confused:

Don't you mean worry-wort? :smack:

Is there a chance, yes. There's always a chance. But, it is highly likely that there is nothing to worry about.

Don't you mean worry-wort? :smack:

Is there a chance, yes. There's always a chance. But, it is highly likely that there is nothing to worry about.

I see what you did there :mug:

Ok thanks, I guess with it being my first brew i'm just nervous.

Let me just sit back and RDWHAHB :D

Suck back happens... especially w 3-peice airlocks...

As the wort cools, the air in the head space contracts. It creates a slight vacuum that pulls in the liquid from your airlock into the fermenter. Some people use vodka in the air lock for that reason.

The small amount of starsan won't hurt anything.

3 pc airlock I presume so as the 75-80° wort cooled the airspace, it contracted and sucked in the starsan, prior to CO2 being created to blow out. I doubt you have anything to worry about though. But the J-airlocks are better for not sucking StarSan back in when temps drops, pressure changes, whatever. You still must realize though that you suck in air and airborne stuff, whenever that happens. But if the yeast owns the wort, it's kinda hard to infect.

3 pc airlock I presume so as the 75-80° wort cooled the airspace, it contracted and sucked in the starsan, prior to CO2 being created to blow out. I doubt you have anything to worry about though. But the J-airlocks are better for not sucking StarSan back in when temps drops, pressure changes, whatever. You still must realize though that you suck in air and airborne stuff, whenever that happens. But if the yeast owns the wort, it's kinda hard to infect.

Yes 3 piece airlock was used. Thanks, I'll look in to a J-airlock. I'm hoping nothing too crazy got in or that I caught it in time. One more question, although this happened at the beginning I have still noticed my Starsan level diminish slowly. Is my airlock broken? should that continue to happen? is that with temperature fluctuations? I've kept it a pretty constant 62-64 degrees, too low maybe?

Suck back happens... especially w 3-peice airlocks...

As the wort cools, the air in the head space contracts. It creates a slight vacuum that pulls in the liquid from your airlock into the fermenter. Some people use vodka in the air lock for that reason.

The small amount of starsan won't hurt anything.

That makes sense, I might take you up on the Vodka idea. I mean more alcohol can't hurt right?

I didn't realize I essentially gave the same answer as another (I type too slowly).

The diminishing level can happen as it evaporates of course, but that really shouldn't be too much. If it continues to decline noticeably day by day I'd consider the crack/leak theory as more plausible.

I didn't realize I essentially gave the same answer as another (I type too slowly).

The diminishing level can happen as it evaporates of course, but that really shouldn't be too much. If it continues to decline noticeably day by day I'd consider the crack/leak theory as more plausible.

Yeah, simulpost! Look at the times... I just hit "submit reply" a smidge faster! :mug:

Latest posts

Back