Nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcblsb

Reaction score
I have had a porter on nitro at 45 psi for more than two weeks. Only getting a few mm of foam. Kegerator at 40 F. Patience? Or change something?

Are you using a regular tap? Did you carb the beer first or are you trying to carb with nitro?

I am using a tap for nitro beers. I tried one keg directly on nitro mix (beer gas) and it produced a small amount of nitrification. Then I tried the other keg, which had been on CO2 at less than 10 psi for two weeks ( total time 4 weeks)..It’s a bit better but I expected a agradual two step pour typical of commercial Guiness.

There is no such thing as "nitrification". Carbonation only comes from dissolved CO2, nitrogen only pushes the beer out. If you try to carb using beer gas you will get insufficient carbonation as only the CO2 fraction will go into solution but the regulator will push a constant CO2/N2 mix into the headspace.

Latest posts

Back