Little Nitrogen Cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
https://www.morebeer.com/products/n...6URCHhR9wbg8U4njjnsHk_Q2oARN9suIaAg-zEALw_wcB
Has anyone had any experience with these? I've been toying with the idea of getting a small 1.5 gallon torpedo keg for some small batch experimental brews that I though might be fun to just share with friends and kill the keg that day. I'd love to be able to serve a nitro stout occasionally. Would something like this (along with the mini regulators they sell) be worth picking up?

Cheers!

nitro stout uses beer gas which is a mix of n2 and co2 or something like that. but i have successfully done without beer gas using a minikeg a stout tap 2 ball lock disconnects and a non threaded nitro miniregulator.

its tricky but works.

first i carb up a 2 to 5 liter keg of stout. then once it is carbed i switch over to the nitromini reg for 24 hours then dispense using a stout tap and the nitro at like 22 psi . you need the stout tap for the restrictor inside. when not serving i disconnect the nitro and put it back on co2 to keep it carbed then when i want to serve i just put the nitro back on it to serve . it works great so far. dont try to carb it with just nitro it wont stay carbed up. and dont use the threaded nitro carts they are more expensive and you will burn through them. i usually find that i run through several and it cost me about a buck extra per pint to serve on nitro but its so creamy and good. this works really well for the cascading effect.

nitro stout uses beer gas which is a mix of n2 and co2 or something like that. but i have successfully done without beer gas using a minikeg a stout tap 2 ball lock disconnects and a non threaded nitro miniregulator.

its tricky but works.

first i carb up a 2 to 5 liter keg of stout. then once it is carbed i switch over to the nitromini reg for 24 hours then dispense using a stout tap and the nitro at like 22 psi . you need the stout tap for the restrictor inside. when not serving i disconnect the nitro and put it back on co2 to keep it carbed then when i want to serve i just put the nitro back on it to serve . it works great so far. dont try to carb it with just nitro it wont stay carbed up. and dont use the threaded nitro carts they are more expensive and you will burn through them. i usually find that i run through several and it cost me about a buck extra per pint to serve on nitro but its so creamy and good. this works really well for the cascading effect.
My thinking was just to carbonate the beer as normal but to a level under 2 volumes of CO2, and then use the little nitro canister to push/serve the beer. Of course, with some sort of nitro faucet. Morebeer claims those mini ball-lock regulators they sell are compatible with nitrogen, so i guess that means they can handle a decent amount of pressure. The beers I want to try this for are going to be tiny experimental batches (less than 2 gallons) where I’d just like to sit around with a few friends and kill the keg the same night we tap it. I know it’s expensive and silly, but the portability seems fun.

yes that will work its expensive but worth it imo
especially for me as i mostly keg in mini kegs anyway.
im pretty sure the morebeer one uses threaded nitro carts which are twice the price of unthreaded

you want something like this :

https://www.amazon.com/Nitrogen-Regulator-Disconnect-Dispenser-PERA/dp/B0BXPHXPCJ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=36F97KH8AATU4&keywords=nitro+cartridge+mini+regulator&qid=1691687367&sprefix=nitro+cartridge+miniregulator,aps,87&sr=8-8

i mostly brew for just myself and cant kill a keg in a single sitting so i have to switch it back to co2 so it doesnt go flat. but your idea will work fine if drinking in one night

and dont buy the 18 gram nitro carts they are overpriced and not needed

Back