Nitro Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I've ordered a nitro tap and regulator - I'm picking up a beergas cylinder.
When I dispense my beer with this - do I force carbonated the keg first with regular CO2 or with the beergas No2/Co2 mix?

Ian

I carbonate slightly with CO2 first, as do most people I think. It just goes faster. But carb to a VERY low amount. When dispensed at nitro pressure through a restrictor disk, if you carbed it too much with CO2 you're gonna get way too much foam. The best thing to do is to carb with CO2 to lower than whats needed, then put it on the beergas at dispensing pressure and within a week it will be carbed perfectly.

I don't actually know, probably 1-1.5 volumes. Since I don't let it fully carbonate at a specific temp/pressure, I don't know what the exact volumes are when I take it off the CO2.

I've heard of just hooking it up to the beer gas and the 25% of CO2 will carb to the correct volume. That is what I will be trying next. The first kegs I naturally carbonated, then got the tank and had to decarbonate them. I think it's 1.2-1.6 volumes. If you force carb with CO2 at 38*F, it will only take 1.75psi to achieve 1.6 volumes. Simply hooking up the beer gas and letting it sit for a week or 2 seems like the best option to me. I will be trying this when my Extra Stout is done.

Back