Nitro setup only pours foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillbeer

Reaction score
Hey all. I recently got my nitro tap all setup but it only pours foam, really creamy tasty foam. Anyways, after about 5 minutes it settles down and I have maybe a third glass of beer. I've tried at various pressures between 10 psi and 30 psi without luck. Same result every time. I have 6' of 3/16" serving line, same setup as my regular taps.

Any tips?

What is the carbonation level of the beer you're dispensing through the nitro faucet?

ime above ~1.5 volumes is about the threshold where pours start to get foamy, and if you put a ~2.4 volume keg on nitro you're going to get what you've described...

Cheers!

Beergas, 70/30 mix. Honestly, I don't know what the carbonation level is. I've been carbonating at 15 PSI for one week at 40F.

6 ft of line is short in general not sure about nitro. For my standard setup I need 20 ft at 12 psi or I get loads of foam.

Maybe try increasing the line length and see how much it improves.

I'm running 6' on my nitro line with no problem. Your beer is overcarbonated. A nitro setup has a very narrow carbonation window where too little carb will give you no foam at all and too much will give you all foam. You need to reduce the amount of carbonation in your beer until it pours correctly.

Line length shouldn't matter much. In fact as we're trying to drive the beer through the stout faucet's restrictor plate at high pressure it'd be counter-productive to use more than what's needed to make the trip...

Cheers!

Beergas, 70/30 mix. Honestly, I don't know what the carbonation level is. I've been carbonating at 15 PSI for one week at 40F.

According to our favorite carbonation table, that combination would reach equilibrium at ~2.75 volumes.
That's like twice what you want.

De-carb that bad boy 'til it's tamed...

Cheers!

Back