Nitro setup. Especially the corney keg nitro lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavis740

Reaction score
Can I add beergas thru the traditional “in” valve of a corney keg; or, do I need to buy one of these (expensive) corney lids especially made for nitro (they have a special port with tubing and diffusion stone suspended into the beer) ?

mabbe without the lid it takes longer to carbonate the beer? I have read nitro doesnt go into solution near as fast as CO2.

i cannot find anything here or elsewhere tellin me the answer

Beer gas doesn't use Nitrogen in the mix because it is easily dissolved into beer. On the contrary, it's used specifically because it is barely soluble. It allows for pushing the beer out of the keg with 4x the normal CO2 pressure which creates a gorgeous cascading pour by forcing the beer through tiny holes in the faucet spout.

One of the reasons that I know that nitrogen's presence in the beer (dissolved) is irrelevant is that you can take a beer previously carbonated to 6psi, put it on 24psi of 75/25 beer gas (on the regular gas input) and immediately pour a pint. You'll see the expected cascading and fine bubble head that you expect out of a nitro pour. If dissolving N2 was required, this wouldn't be observed.

The lids with stones on the end of the tubing is really for cold brew coffee that wouldn't have any dissolved CO2 for head creation. As a cold brew coffee is poured, a ton of fine nitrogen bubbles are being created right near the draw tube entrance and it enhances the foam production. If you did this for a beer, it would probably just dispense a full glass of foam.

Beer gas doesn't use Nitrogen in the mix because it is easily dissolved into beer. On the contrary, it's used specifically because it is barely soluble. It allows for pushing the beer out of the keg with 4x the normal CO2 pressure which creates a gorgeous cascading pour by forcing the beer through tiny holes in the faucet spout.

One of the reasons that I know that nitrogen's presence in the beer (dissolved) is irrelevant is that you can take a beer previously carbonated to 6psi, put it on 24psi of 75/25 beer gas (on the regular gas input) and immediately pour a pint. You'll see the expected cascading and fine bubble head that you expect out of a nitro pour. If dissolving N2 was required, this wouldn't be observed.

The lids with stones on the end of the tubing is really for cold brew coffee that wouldn't have any dissolved CO2 for head creation. As a cold brew coffee is poured, a ton of fine nitrogen bubbles are being created right near the draw tube entrance and it enhances the foam production. If you did this for a beer, it would probably just dispense a full glass of foam.

Really food info as always Bobby thank u.

Latest posts

Back