Nitro questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
I've got one the blender pictured, mounted and ready to go. I am picking up my Nitro tank and an adapter for use with my spare regulator next week.

Is that all there is too it? I have the faucet obviously.

I just hook both tanks up and adjust the mix and go?
Is it better to carb up on CO2, then serve on blend, or does it matter?

IMAG0196.jpg

I would force-carb with staight co2 to just about 1.2to1.4 voulmes, then put under blended gas for 1or 2 day's before serving. I would probably use a blend of 75%N/25%co2 at 40-45psi at 38-40F. Also, remember that if one gas run's out, you will be pushing 100% of the remaining gas, which will result in overcarbed or flat beer eventually. This model does not have auto-shutoff when a tank run's out. Hope that help's!! Cheers!!

At our pub I carb my stout in our uni-tanks at 6-8 psi/@45F for
about a week, this is after fermentaion,crash cooling and racking off yeast of course. Then I keg off uni-tank into 1/2 BBL kegs, and put them under 35-40psi head pressure of the 75%/25% nitro @ 38F for a week or so, and you should be good to go. You will be able to fine tune the blend % also. I'm stuck with 75/25% pre-blend in a bottle. lucky you!! Cheers!!!

Hahaha thanks again.. Yes, and no..

In reading, I see that it says 30-40 psig (g?) for stout pressure when serving.
I force carbed the oatmeal in there now at 25psi for a little over 2 days, then burp the keg down and am serving at 4psi. This is all through a standard faucet at the moment.
Line from keg to faucet is fully inside the cooler, and is about 3.5' in length.
If I were to serve at 30psi it would blow foam and knock the glass out of your hand.

on edit:

I keep the cooler at 38*, and the CO2 bottle is inside as well, but this should only affect bottle pressure, not regulated pressure. I have served ales in the past at 9-12psi, but never anything over 5 for a stout or porter.

Thats because your using a standard faucet that has no resistance. A stout faucet has a tiny restrictor disc with 5 little holes that the nitrogenated beer has to go thru, causing the nitro to break -out of solution, giving us that great cascading,foamy head. You need the higher pressure to get thru the high resriction of the disc. 4 psi is not enough pressure to maintain very much carbonation, even w 100% co2. Even if you carb it up at 25psi and bring it down to 4psi for serving, it will evetually reach equillibrium with the 4psi and become flatter. Even with a blend of 70%N/30%co2 at 38F it would take 25psi to achieve a 1.2 vol. of co2 into the beer.

Ok, that makes sense. I did tear this thing apart and check out all the inner workings. I see the plate in the tip. Says 30 on it, with 5 holes...

Now yet another question. I'm taking some pics in a minute if any of this doesn't make sense...

The tap handle fits so it arches forward, with upper "hand hold" facing almost square to server. Notch in handle (pin mount, not screw on) only goes up the back side of handle. When I assemble this, the tap handle is only allowed to move backwards, or push back to serve. I can't pull forward and there is no notch up the front to allow movement. And I can't push down on anything....
This is just on the table mind you, does pressure need to be on it? Either way, the handle can pull forward due to lack of notch on front side...

It looks like its working the opposite way that it should. Are you sure it's not assembled backwards? Can you unscrew it and turn the top part 180 degrees?

Well without channel locks I can't get it to turn... Looking at tiny little pics on the internet, it appears that mine is correct, but not sure on that. It should pull forward for sure, but does not.. I'll rag-plier it and see about turning it. Almost appears to be glued from what I can see tho.

Is this a real Guinness faucet or after-market? It does'nt lool like any of the after-market brands that I have seen like Tap-Rite/N.A.D.S/Alumasc or micro-matic. It looks like a genuine Guinness faucet.

Well..... I took the chrome peice off the bottom, it was epoxied and quite an unsavorable woman to get apart. But I cleaned off all the glue, the threaded stud is still glued into the handle, but turns slightly further into the chrome peice now. I did manage to get it set to face correctly, but there is a "bigger that I like" gap between the actual handle and the chrome screw-on peice. I believe that I can fix this with my makita in about 3 seconds tomorrow. Just take the rounded part off the bottom of the handle where the "paint" stops, and make it flush. It's only a half turn from seating all the way down, at the correct serving face. But I'm more than a half turn from able to do it correctly tonight so it will wait...
The stud is not budging without double nutting it. But if worse comes to worse tomorrow I'll do that and turn it our a hair..

Other than that... Holy Sheit.. It's hooked up, without nitro mind you, and I cranked up the pressure to 25.... WOW... Totally creamy-headed outmeal... And the bubbles do cascade, but only for about 15 seconds.. The head takes about 2 minutes to fall back into beer, and then it beautifly laces the glass all the way down.. :ban:

I can't wait to get the N on this setup..
Thanks again for all your help and advice. :mug:

on edit..

For those that might be watching..
Also without Nitro, I get a FULL glass of foam, which then cascades for a few seconds quickly, then slows, down to about a 2/3rd's glass of beer... So without the proper gas, it's still a waiting game.

Don't keep it on 25psi 100% co2 for very long, or it will become over-carbed.Keep me up-dated tomorrow. Cheers!!!

Back