Nitro Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
First nitro beer on tap, CO2 at 65F to carbonate to 6 PSI. Pure nitrogen after for 3-4 days at cold temps and 40 PSI (using carb stone). Now running with 70/30 blend at 30 PSI.

My question is regarding the pour. No major complaints, get a great cascade and after the cascade the head appears very smooth BUT coming out of the faucet, the flow does not look "smooth." It somewhat looks like its flowing more one side of the faucet, then the other (if that makes sense). To me, it seems to enter the glass fairly aggressive. The head is somewhat rocky and soap like until the nitrogen forms the nice smooth head.

Is this normal?

I've been keeping an imperial chocolate stout on tap for almost a decade, serving through a Micromatic stout faucet.
When I get that "bent" flow it's because one of the five tiny holes in the restrictor plate is plugged, in my case from some random bit of cocoa nib that made it into the keg. If it's bad enough I'll pull the nozzle off and back-flush it with hot water...

Cheers!

Assuming you're running a conventional-design stout faucet be careful not to lose any of the bits that go in the nozzle.
Typically (and in the Micromatic I use) there's a flow straightener followed by the restrictor disk (with five tiny holes in my case) followed by a small O-ring at the top to seal against the faucet body threads.

I've taken to cleaning it over a colander in the sink because lord only knows where and at what cost I could obtain replacements...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back