Nitro / Beer gas tank & regulator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblanderson

Reaction score
I bought a nitro / beer gas mix setup about 6 months ago. It is a 38 cu ft tank and I was able to serve 1 full 5-gallon keg and 2 partial 5-gal kegs before it was empty, so about 10 gallons. I'm having trouble finding info about how many kegs I can expect to serve with beer gas, but 2 didn't seem like much, especially since it costs $50 to get the tank filled.

So I've got the tank refilled and started carbing a new keg of stout at 30 PSI. The gauge on the regulator initially said 2,000 PSI when I first connected it. After 2 days the gauge now reads just under 1,750 PSI. I know these numbers don't mean anything with a CO2 regulator, but since the beer mix is always a gas perhaps it is useful info?

I have sprayed the keg and all connections with some starsan to look for leaks and haven't found any.

For those of you with nitro setups, what size is your tank and how many kegs can you serve with it?

I bought a nitro / beer gas mix setup about 6 months ago. It is a 38 cu ft tank and I was able to serve 1 full 5-gallon keg and 2 partial 5-gal kegs before it was empty, so about 10 gallons. I'm having trouble finding info about how many kegs I can expect to serve with beer gas, but 2 didn't seem like much, especially since it costs $50 to get the tank filled.

So I've got the tank refilled and started carbing a new keg of stout at 30 PSI. The gauge on the regulator initially said 2,000 PSI when I first connected it. After 2 days the gauge now reads just under 1,750 PSI. I know these numbers don't mean anything with a CO2 regulator, but since the beer mix is always a gas perhaps it is useful info?

I have sprayed the keg and all connections with some starsan to look for leaks and haven't found any.

For those of you with nitro setups, what size is your tank and how many kegs can you serve with it?

The needle on the regulator will sit at a lower number once the gas tank begins to get cold.

I serve anywhere from 25-30 psi and I carb the beer slightly on CO2 before connecting it to the beer gas. I have a 5-gallon tank and I can serve about 4-5 beers with it.

$50 for a fill seems like a lot. A fill 'round these parts costs about $35.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to add that my tank is at room temp (65) - it is outside my freezer.

There are 2 places that will fill my 38 cu ft tank, $50 or $65. I'm not sure how that size compares to your 5-gallon tank though.

I use two to three 16 gram chargers to carbonate and serve a 3 US gallon keg.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to add that my tank is at room temp (65) - it is outside my freezer.

There are 2 places that will fill my 38 cu ft tank, $50 or $65. I'm not sure how that size compares to your 5-gallon tank though.

I just did the conversion on google and 38 cu ft = 284.6 U.S. gallons.

Maybe you mean .38 cu ft which = 2.84 U.S. gallons

Latest posts

Back